Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is His true name
My question is why do you call the Lord Jesus?
I went to a Jewish gathering and they called Him Yeshua.
I asked about that and the Rabbi said that's his name
and in english it is Joshua, not Jesus. Is this true?
Sincerly Arthur Jacob Fischer half Jew, half Gentile
Shalom, Jacob777 -- welcome to the Jews for Jesus Forums. We hope you will continue to participate, and that you will look around in this web site. You can read more about what we believe (and why we believe) in sections such as "Answers" and "About Us."

We call Him "Jesus" because that is the name most familiar to most people, and we want to talk about Him with as many people as possible. When people hear or read the phrase "Jews for Jesus," His name rings a bell, so to speak!

Even most Jewish folks know Him by the name "Jesus," even if they know nothing else about Him.

We also call Him "Y'shua," because that is a common transliteration from Hebrew. Using that name shows our delight in our Jewish heritage, and the continuity between the Tenach (the Old Testament) and the Brit Hadashah (the New Testament). "Y'shua" signifies our faith in Him, the Jewish Messiah who was foretold by the prophets.

It's important to remember that He understands all languages and welcomes all who worship Him. He looks at the heart (I Samuel 16:7); so if we have love for Him in our hearts when we call Him "Jesus," or "Y'shua," or "Yehoshua" or any other variation, He is pleased.

And if someone speaking Arabic calls on "Isa," or a Korean calls on "YaeSu Nim," or someone in Fiji calls on "Jisu," He sees the love in their hearts and understands everything they say.

It's what we say (and believe) about Him, not what language or spelling we use, that is most important.

"For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek [gentile], for the same Lord over all is rich unto all who call upon Him. For 'whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.'" -- Romans 10:12-13