Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: Psalm 110
A. Bird - If you have a question on this Psalm, then it is obvious that you don't speak a word of Hebrew. Look in the original Hebrew. ADONI, spelled aleph-daled-nun-yud means "sir" or "lord in the feudal sense". yud-hey-vav-hey is the name of God. The Psalm says, "The Lord (Yud-Hey-Vav-Hey) said to my lord (adoni)." The word ADONI is a reference to King David, because King David wrote Psalm 110 as music that the Levites would sing in the Temple in Jerusalem. The Levites would sing, "God said to my lord", meaning God spoke to King Daivd. The translators of the KJV and the NIV couldn't have it say that, so they changed it to both be in upper case letters (The LORD said to my LORD). If you read the Hebrew it's an obvious mistake.
(09-18-2014, 07:51 AM)Actually_A_Jew Wrote: A. Bird - If you have a question on this Psalm, then it is obvious that you don't speak a word of Hebrew.  Look in the original Hebrew.  ADONI, spelled aleph-daled-nun-yud means "sir" or "lord in the feudal sense".  yud-hey-vav-hey is the name of God.  The Psalm says, "The Lord (Yud-Hey-Vav-Hey) said to my lord (adoni)."  The word ADONI is a reference to King David, because King David wrote Psalm 110 as music that the Levites would sing in the Temple in Jerusalem.  The Levites would sing, "God said to my lord", meaning God spoke to King Daivd.  The translators of the KJV and the NIV couldn't have it say that, so they changed it to both be in upper case letters (The LORD said to my LORD).  If you read the Hebrew it's an obvious mistake.

According to my sincere understanding, if we use Logic to understand Psalm 110, King David originally composed it thus: "The Lord said to me, sit at my right hand till I make of your enemies you footstool." Then, as this Psalm was selected to be chanted in the Temple by the Levites, it would become awkward to sing the words as they were originally composed. The need to amend the text became necessary. Hence, it became, "The Lord (HaShem) said to my lord (David), sit at my right hand till..." Therefore, I agree with A.Bird above that it was a mistake by the translators of the KJV to distort the original text to satisfy Christian preconceived notions and have this Psalm as a prediction of Jesus. I would say that the "mistake" was not involuntary but with the intent to promote the Pauline policy of Replacement Theology.