Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Must Sanhedrin members be married?
I was told that since married men are more "merciful", the Sanhedrin members have to be married.
I couldn't find a true original source of this. I wonder if anyone could help me here.

Personally, I believe that this is made up by certain vague reports or maybe even "feeling" to justify the claim that the apostle Paul was married before when he was member of the Sanhedrin, of course, I've also heard of discussion on whether or not Paul was in the Sanhedrin at all.

But for now, I just like to focus on the qualification of being a Sanhedrin member. As a honest seeker after God's kingdom in truth, I am willing to listen.

Thank you!

Tim
It was said that Paul may have been a widow; but all we know is that he was single. See 1 Corinthians 7.

timlyg Wrote:I was told that since married men are more "merciful", the Sanhedrin members have to be married.
I couldn't find a true original source of this. I wonder if anyone could help me here.

Personally, I believe that this is made up by certain vague reports or maybe even "feeling" to justify the claim that the apostle Paul was married before when he was member of the Sanhedrin, of course, I've also heard of discussion on whether or not Paul was in the Sanhedrin at all.

But for now, I just like to focus on the qualification of being a Sanhedrin member. As a honest seeker after God's kingdom in truth, I am willing to listen.

Thank you!

Tim
[quote=GoyOfY'shua]
It was said that Paul may have been a widow; but all we know is that he was single. See 1 Corinthians 7.

Paul may have been a widower but he couldn't be a widow...he's male...don't get upset...just having some fun...

Paul was single...if he had been otherwise I think he would have said so..

Yes the men of the Sanhedrin were married...some may have been bachelors....

Paul stated that he remained single to give his whole life to the work of God...if you have a wife man has to look to her needs first and his families which makes it difficult sometimes to just up and go.

Peter was married some of the other disciples were married some stayed single....however if being single is going to cause you to sin(sleep with a woman out of marriage etc) then you should marry.  The problem the RCC is having with their preists is because the Pope either ignored this admonition of Paul or has never read it.    
I agree with just about everything the last post said although I'm not sure that the Sanhedrin is the right word to use. Paul whose name was formerly Saul persecuted Christians as a member of the Sanhedrin. If Yahweh has placed the desire and gift within you to remain single for His purposes in your life then by all means go for it, but if you have a desire for your own family, etc. then tell Him about that too! I think that the most important thing to remember is to be of one mind and one spirit. See 2nd Corinthians 13:11, 1st Corinthians 12:12. As for the actual title of the priesthood I believe that Adonai did away with that with the death and resurrection of His son Yeshua, but we are to act as "priests" serving one another in love. See Heb 12:1. See also Yeshua's response to this question: Matthew 19:8-11. I know that He will teach you and guide you in the way you should go. Also know that you have many Christian brothers and sisters to support you in your decision. I have learned a lot from them and have been encouraged by their faithful witness.

Shalom in Christ,
Ian
Are we just talking or researching?

Sanhedrin at the time of Christ wanted women stoned for adultery, this is a clear indication they may not have gotten along with their wives.
The waters are murky concerning specific qualifications. Paul's admon. to Timothy, leads me to believe the tradition of scribes, elders, pharisees, saducees and priests promoted singleness as a pious act of religiosity not necessarily a mandate.

Just thinking for 2 or 3 days..... Shalom Ian

We can do a little bit of both if you want. I agree with you, singleness was never a specific mandate, but a choice of freewill. I also had another thought on this. Wasn't the original ephod given to the Aaronic priesthood with the Urim and Thurimin placed over the heart as a specific reminder that the Levite priests should bear the names of the 12 tribes of Israel over their hearts(Exodus, chapter 20). Likewise we bear the name of Christ and those we love and care for in our hearts so that God can guide us from his heart just like He did for King David so long ago Smile I believe that this is the only true requirement.
Question: "Was the Apostle Paul married?"

Answer: The Bible never says whether Paul was married or not. Some think that he was at one time based on what he said in 1 Corinthians 9:5, "Don't we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas?" If Paul was married at one time, his wife likely passed away considering he never mentions her in any of his writings. Paul declared that he had the gift of celibacy in 1 Corinthians 7:1-7.

Some believe that the Apostle Paul was married because history tells us that a member of the Sanhedrin was required to be married. However, Paul never stated that he was a member of the Sanhedrin. He definitely seemed to be on the path, "I was advancing in Judaism beyond many Jews of my own age and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers" (Galatians 1:14). However, Paul might not have advanced that far before He converted to Christ. So, was the Apostle Paul married? It is possible that he was at one time, but again, the Bible does not specifically say.

gotquestions.org

Ok, as long as we're having fun here...the Bible clearly states that Paul had what he called a "thorn in his side"...so therefore, he was definitely married! ;o) *L*

There's no such thing as a Sanhedrin any more, is there??? Or is it called something else??
chow_woman Wrote:Ok, as long as we're having fun here...the Bible clearly states that Paul had what he called a "thorn in his side"...so therefore, he was definitely married! ;o) *L*

There's no such thing as a Sanhedrin any more, is there??? Or is it called something else??

Good pun chow_woman.

As I understand, the Sanhedrin (the Theocratic rulers of the country) are already organized to rule), and the Priests are being trained to perform Temple duty.  The only thing missing is a Temple.

I have read the entries, and sorry folks, I believe you are wrong about the Priests marrying.  I cannot find anything about manditory marriage, but there is a whole bunch of insinuation about 'having children,' not marrying non-Israeli women by priests, like:

(Lev 21:7 KJV)  They shall not take a wife that is a whore, or profane; neither shall they take a woman put away from her husband: for he is holy unto his God.

(Lev 21:13 KJV)  And he shall take a wife in her virginity.

(Lev 21:14 KJV)  A widow, or a divorced woman, or profane, or an harlot, these shall he not take: but he shall take a virgin of his own people to wife.

(Eze 44:22 KJV)  Neither shall they take for their wives a widow, nor her that is put away: but they shall take maidens of the seed of the house of Israel, or a widow that had a priest before.

Zechariah was looked down upon, because he had no son/child, until the miracle of John the Baptizer (Mat 23:35 KJV)  That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar. (He was so old, when mama told him she was pregnant, he lost his voice for nine months.  The last thing he said, for nine months, was: uh, your, what?? //bad joke//)

I believe that any Israeli, in those days who was unwed, man or woman, was looked 'down' upon (women most), but at least 'pitied, because 'that person must have made God mad, and God closed up the womb, type gossip.'  God spent a lot of time setting parameters for marriage.  When He does things like that, as a general rule, that item of business is very very important to Him (does 'grains of sand' ring a bell?). Ha.

Just a thought.

To one and all, Shalom in Messiah.  Arley
Well,

Logic might lead (or dictate) one to believe the maternal and paternal aspect of the Israeli culture, and the technicalities associated with actually being considered Jewish, and the interpretation of some rabbi's,
along with Mishnah Torah, and the Talmud all the more lead me to believe that it more than likely is... a must?

Just a thought