Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acts 15: 19-21
I got some new insights about acts 15. but can't write them in 1 time.

I always thought that new believers should not eat blood etc. And that it was given in acts 15 as 1 of the basic Laws to start with as a new believer. Well so it is also told by some Messianic 'rabbi's'

Acc. to Jewish law, a Noachide doesn't have to do that. So it seems that the early Christians where more strickt to newcommers than even Talmud. (well Talmud was finished later than most parts of NT)
Or They just started to make their own Laws.
Or the first Christians started to behave like Jews (in eating) so they could socialize with Jews. Paul had different difficulties because is seemed that with non-Jews he started to eat unKosher.

Anyway, my question is If new believers anyway start to pick up some 'Old Testaminic' Laws...: Why do they nowadays pick Tallit or Kipa(kipa is only a custom). While not eating blood is a Law. Not eating certain fish etc....

I don't mean kosher style things, nor discussians that nowadays we can eat everything...
But what does Acts 15 mean to members of this website?
Do people have some insights about Acts 15?

Greetings,
Yetzirah231
1 Timothy 4:1-5 says, "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer."

Romans 14:14, "I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean."  

1 Corinthians 10:25-31, "Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake: For the earth is the Lord's and the fulness thereof. If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake. BUT if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's and the fulness thereof: Conscience, I say, not thinke own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience? For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I GIVE THANKS? Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."

Romans 14:1-3 "Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hat received him."

Overall, God just wants you to give him thanks in everything that you do. His Spirit guides you and helps you build faith along the way. If you don't feel comfortable eating it, then that's ok. His main thing is believe and trust in Him!

"But what does Acts 15 mean to members of this website?
Do people have some insights about Acts 15?"

Acts 15:21 gives the reason for those restrictions.  Moses was read in the synagogues, which were in pretty much every significant city because of the Daispora of Jews.  The implication from that is that the new Christians were to avoid offending Jews.  The things mentioned were things that Jews particularly could not stomach.  I saw a National Geographic photo of Eskimos eating raw bloody meat.  It turned my stomach.  Christians among the Eskimos should not do that.

As you have pointed out, there are circumstances when a Jew would be allowed to eat pork or shell fish, if his life were threatened and that was all he could eat without starving to death.  I believe that Paul could have eaten non-kosher food in some of his travels as the apostle to the gentiles, when he was give hospitality among the Christian gentile brothers in Christ. I believe that it was in that context of exception rather than an abandonment of eating kosher that Paul did that, if indeed he did.  It is in that context that the Jewish Christians were then able to have fellowship with gentile Christians.  However, in Acts 15, James is saying, "Please, you can have some fried shrimp with your fellow Christian Jew sitting beside you, but don't munch down on a raw piece of meat with blood dripping from your mouth.  If you serve that Christian Jew chicken, at least kill it by cutting its throat instead of wringing its neck.  And don't be having sex with your menstruous wife.  And don't waltz in with a certified idol sacrifice you bought in the heathen temple.  That is just a bit too much to ask a Jew to handle to have fellowship with you."  That is my paraphrase to show how I understand this passage.
Many began teaching salavation by way of faith in Christ plus obedience to the law of Moses. This created a division in the church. This is the hottest question today- "What must I do to be saved?" The true answer is "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." Acts 16:31
Salvation is "by grace through faith not of works lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9 In Acts, the work was circumcision; however, Peter cleared this up. Peter stood up and said that the Gentiles believed and recieved the Holy Ghost just as they had. He said your heart is purified by faith. (Just as Peter had been given the vision of a great sheet coming down from the sky, full of all kinds of animals, clean and unclean. He told Peter to kill and eat, but Peter refused, until the Lord said, "What G-d hath cleansed, that call not thou common." Then he sent Peter to the house of a Gentile)
continued...
He says why should you tempt G-d, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? But believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
"For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things (They are not necessary for salvation, but for sanctification, or seperation). That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well."
If you read Romans 3:20-31 (too much for me to write) but summing it up, it says: We know that what the law said is only for those who are still under the law. By the deeds of law, no man shall be justified...the law is the knowledge of sin. The righteousness of G-d which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all that believe. All have sinned and come short of the glory of G-d. You are justified FREELY by the GRACE through the redemption which is through Jesus Christ. There is no boasting because it is excluded. No law but the law of faith. Therefore it is concluded that a man is justified by faith and not the deeds of the law. No, we don't void the law, we establish the law.  Remember the new covenant G-d promised where he said he would write the laws on our hearts? (Jeremiah 31:31-34)...it says he puts the law within us and we don't have to teach anyone the law. Therefore, if you feel like something is not right, then it is not right. Don't do it for conscience sake. Let the Holy Spirit guide you. I personally don't eat blood, but if someone else does and they have faith in Jesus Christ, then I believe they are saved. He doesn't want us to be burdened down with what we have to do and not have to do; he wants us to have peace through him(Jesus Christ). Once you start adding rules to others(people boast what they have and haven't done), it puts a burden on them, makes them question things, and can cause problems. So the secret is let the Holy Spirit guide you and it may be different than what another thinks, and that's okay. G-d works differently through others but it is him who we have to listen to and to whom we are held accountable.
Another thing I was looking for and just found...I think this will help you tremendously. Read Romans 14 (this will answer your question). It's too much to type, but again, I'll sum it up. He is saying that some may not eat certain things, and others may eat everything. He says for the people that eat everything: not to look down on those that don't. To those who don't eat everything: don't judge those who do. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. Always give thanks to everything. Everything we do is to the Lord. Every one of us shall give account of himself to G-d. He says meat doesn't destroy the work of G-d, but it is evil for that man who eats it with offence. It is not good to eat, drink anything that will make someone stumble or is offended or made weak. He that doubts is damned if he eats, because he is not eating out of faith...for whatsover is not of faith is sin.  So, yes, I agree with you that if someone is in your presence and is offended by something, then you should abstain from it. However, you are not to judge one another because everything one does is justified by faith.
And my understanding is that God STILL wants us to know that blood is *special/important*. And that we, gentiles, should remember that our atonement came at a price: His blood. And for that reason, we can't "eat blood", or "things strangled".

To add to my previous thought:

And IF one feels led to follow biblical Kashrut, they are free to go beyond the basic rule set down here for gentiles, but can't "boast" about it like they are more holy than the one not called to follow.

Tallit? Fine. If not, fine. Same as above.
Yetzriah231 Wrote:Do people have some insights about Acts 15?

Greetings,
Yetzirah231

Quote:Acts 15:19-21 (New King James Version)
19 Therefore I judge that we should not trouble those from among the Gentiles who are turning to God, 20 but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality,[a]from things strangled, and from blood. 21 For Moses has had throughout many generations those who preach him in every city, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

Paul later elaborates that food "polluted by" (sacrificed to) idols may not be eaten if eating idol-recieved food would hurt the conscience of another Christian. Meanwhile, blood and things strangled refer to abuse and murder of people and animals, and the blood laws go back blood laws in Torah such as to not eat blood or have sexual intercourse during the wife's niddah. The sexual immorality law speaks for itself.

As for Torah, Neviim, and Ketuvim, observing all 613 and any extra-Torah mitzvot would be up to the individual goy or goyah.
ThomasDGW Wrote:Acts 15:21 gives the reason for those restrictions.  Moses was read in the synagogues, which were in pretty much every significant city because of the Daispora of Jews.  The implication from that is that the new Christians were to avoid offending Jews.  The things mentioned were things that Jews particularly could not stomach.  I saw a National Geographic photo of Eskimos eating raw bloody meat.  It turned my stomach.  Christians among the Eskimos should not do that.

Strange as it may seem, although Jews salt meat before cooking in order to remove the blood, that only applies if the meat is going to be cooked. Raw meat, however, may be eaten without salting, although the surface blood must be rinsed off first.