Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sabbath is an Eternal Statute - Hebrews 4:1-10
'Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.' Hebrews 4:1-10
The sabath becomes eternal by being  every day.  

Just like carvel.
Chad Higgins Wrote:The sabath becomes eternal by being  every day.  
Faith: Are you calling God a liar? The serpent did the same in the Garden of Eden.

Listen to God's word, not popular opinion.

God bless.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.' Exodus 20:8

See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day. Exodus 16:29

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:11

Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you. Exodus 31:13

See: Hebrews 4:1-10

Link: Read all the instances of 'Sabbath' in the Bible
In Hebrews 4, Paul is speaking about the rest of Canaan.  The sin of unbelief kept certain from entering into that rest.  Paul is exhorting his Jewish brethren to not come short of entering into the rest of the accomplished work of Jesus Christ because of unbelief.

vv. 4-6, Christ is our Sabbath.  The ark entered the Jordan before all the people.  Christ died for us, and when we put our trust in His death and resurrection, we are in Christ, and enter into His rest.  Unbelief prevents this rest.

In vv. 8-9, if Joshua had given them rest, he would not have spoken of another day; there remains a rest to the people of God.  The rest of heaven, the rest of the presence of God in the coming Kingdom.

In vv. 10-11, the rest of Creation is the rest of completeness; Christ has by Himself completely accomplished our redemption ("Paid in full!").  God is, since the Cross and Pentecost, creating new creatures in Christ; we are to enter into that Canaan rest now.  We are to rest in His redemption in Christ, as we now labor to rest through our prayers, faith and walking in His will until we see His face.

In v. 11, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.  Unbelief will rob us of having trusted God for everything; not only of the assurance of our salvation but of the rest and satisfaction that comes after laboring in the work.
Baptistic Wrote:In Hebrews 4, Paul is speaking about the rest of Canaan.  The sin of unbelief kept certain from entering into that rest.  Paul is exhorting his Jewish brethren to not come short of entering into the rest of the accomplished work of Jesus Christ because of unbelief.
Faith: Ola! Baptistic!

Have you read the history of the Sabbath and the Church?

http://www.pathlights.com/theselastdays/...ct_22d.htm

Love to hear your comments!

Blessings! Smile
Baptistic,

That is the best post I have EVER seen on this forum, hands down.

Still, Faith does have a point.  While the Sabbath is fulfilled in trusting the Divine Facts -- that we are died, are buried, and raised up with Christ -- by our TRUSTING those stated facts -- we rest from our guilt, from our shame, from our living to ourselves and for ourselves.

It is still true that the regular weekly sabbath, even as a symbol, is still ordained for BOTH Jews and Gentiles in both testaments (Isaiah 52 in OT, Acts 13:44-48 in NT).  

When our children, and our children's children, ask for the explanation of WHY God commanded these things -- having a ready answer in Christ Jesus is all-important.  

To argue that we should flout God's Laws that point to Christ really isn't a good idea, is it?  While the Temple and sacrifices are clearly defunct, as Christians it is better for us to keep the Sabbath and the Feast Days as MEMORIALS of Christ's finished work on the cross.

To argue that Leprechauns and Santa Gods are superior forms of worship culture, is, well -- foolish.
Shabbis Goy Wrote:To argue that we should flout God's Laws that point to Christ really isn't a good idea, is it?
Faith: No it isn't.

Paul emphasized the 'Spirit of the Law' (grace) as he was expert in the 'Letter of the Law' (works). James, Jesus' brother, emphasized the 'Letter of the Law'. (works) Being the brother of Christ he would naturally become expert in the Spirit of the Law.

Jesus told the Pharisees to do both the Letter and the Spirit of the Law. The whole of scripture supports this. Sabbath is an eternal statute mandated by God in honor of our Creator - Jesus Christ, and for our good and. (See: Deut. 28 & Isaiah 58:6-12 blessings)

'Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you,Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law,till all be fulfilled.' Matthew 5:17-18

Faith: ‘Heaven and earth have not passed away’.  Jesus is the whole truth. He speaks the whole truth. Are we to disbelieve Him?  

'For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.' Matthew 5:20 (Letter of Mosaic Torah)

Faith: Fulfilled: Christ – The Lord Our Righteousness. But not removed for our observance.

'Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, (Letter of the Torah) and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith (Spirit of the Torah) : these ought ye to have done (Letter of the Torah), and not to leave the other undone (Spirit of Torah).' Matthew 23:23

'But the LORD said unto Samuel: 'Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have rejected him; for it is not as man seeth: for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart. ' 1 Samuel 16:7 (from the heart)

Our honor of God's laws proves the heart we have towards Him.
Baptistic Wrote:In Hebrews 4, Paul is speaking about the rest of Canaan.  The sin of unbelief kept certain from entering into that rest.  Paul is exhorting his Jewish brethren to not come short of entering into the rest of the accomplished work of Jesus Christ because of unbelief.

vv. 4-6, Christ is our Sabbath.  The ark entered the Jordan before all the people.  Christ died for us, and when we put our trust in His death and resurrection, we are in Christ, and enter into His rest.  Unbelief prevents this rest.

In vv. 8-9, if Joshua had given them rest, he would not have spoken of another day; there remains a rest to the people of God.  The rest of heaven, the rest of the presence of God in the coming Kingdom.

In vv. 10-11, the rest of Creation is the rest of completeness; Christ has by Himself completely accomplished our redemption ("Paid in full!").  God is, since the Cross and Pentecost, creating new creatures in Christ; we are to enter into that Canaan rest now.  We are to rest in His redemption in Christ, as we now labor to rest through our prayers, faith and walking in His will until we see His face.

In v. 11, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.  Unbelief will rob us of having trusted God for everything; not only of the assurance of our salvation but of the rest and satisfaction that comes after laboring in the work.
TO ALL RE: SABBATH

Rather than unnecessarily debating Sabbath. How about reading the History of how 7th Day Sabbath worship was literally purged from Christianity by pagan Rome.

7th Day Sabbath is also why the early Messianics-Christians went to the coliseums of Rome and the stakes at Inquisition.

'Sun Day' is related to pagan 'Mitra' worship; Easter is related to 'Ishtar' worship and Christmas is the pagan birthdate of 'Mitra'.

Jesus, the Apostles, and all the first Christians observed 7th Day Sabbath according to the Bible.

Here're are the well documented and historic proofs from the pages of history.
http://www.pathlights.com/theselastdays/...ct_22d.htm

Anyone who cares to know if the above article is true can also Google. It's all there. We profess to 'love truth' here's the truth, Sabbath is an eternal statute and a sign between us and God that He is the Lord who sanctifies (Christ) us.

God bless.
How about instead of reading the works of man, read the Bible instead, such as Hebrews 4 for example.