Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The moment in history when God's name became ONE name
The Amazing Link
or
The moment in history when we know for sure when God's name became ONE name...

-------

Recently a new Pentecostal Christian asked me this:

Quote:This is so frustrating. One of the courses Im working on is "Bible Foundations" and its very good, proving the validity of the Bible, etc.... But, it says Bruce Metzger, a NT scholar says "after 2000 yrs, 40 of the 20,000 lines of the NT are debatable, and of those, none would change doctrine. The errors are only spelling errors or repeated words or something irrelevant".

But, then if you study the trinity from the Apostolic perspective, Some claim that Matthew 28:19 was changed by the Roman Catholic church. And, supposedly it was Jesus' name originally!

Wow...what a major task we have.....in preaching Jesus' name baptism.

-------------------

I responded:

See but I don’t agree with the assertion that Matt 28:19 was changed…
Sure, Historically, I believe it is a possibility, but we MUST assume it is NOT changed… For if we base doctrine off of our assumptions, then the bible becomes a “Grab bag” of what WE want it to say and not what it truly proclaims.
Plus, the concept of a Medieval Catholic re-write is an improvable theory and therefore lame defense of the truth…

You don’t need Matt 28:19 to prove the apostils Baptized in Jesus name baptism anyway, because we have the book of Acts… which is AIR TIGHT!

So, let’s look at this…
It is written:
Matt 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Even this scripture is a One God in Jesus scripture…. What is “THE NAME” (singular) of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost? Jesus!

So even, if it were not changed and Jesus actually said it… Peter did not repeat the command of Jesus when he baptized but instead fulfilled it by baptizing in Jesus’ name.

When your pastor is preaching and he says “Praise the LORD” most people repeat the command and say back to him “Praise the LORD”…. But what would happen if the fulfilled the command?
The pastor would be preaching and he would say “praise the LORD” and the congregations would suddenly bust out in worship as they actively praised the LORD… they would full fill the command…

Make sense? Not yet…?
Ok…. Check THIS out…

You see the truths of:
One God in Jesus,
The living water being the baptism of the Spirit,
and the moment when God’s name became one name,
And the fact that God is not three different people,
are linked directly to baptism in Jesus name and tongues.
This is what I call the “amazing link”!

More to come....
Quote:Even this scripture is a One God in Jesus scripture…. What is “THE NAME” (singular) of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost? Jesus!

UGH... steadfast...to believe in Oneness you MUST make complete nonsense of language. Jesus talks of "HIS FATHER"... Who sent Him, Who Jesus prays to, Whose right hand Jesus sits on, Who testifies of Jesus, Who made His enemies Jesus' footstool, etc, etc, etc

They simply cannot be one-in-the-same.

The NAME is YHWH. Which includes the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. YHWH echad.
So,
Pay close attention to the phrase “Living waters” and when God’s name became “ONE name" in the fallowing scripture...

Isaiah 44:1-8
1 "But now listen, O Jacob, my servant, Israel, whom I have chosen. 2 This is what the Lord says-- he who made you, who formed you in the womb, and who will help you: Do not be afraid, O Jacob, my servant, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen. 3 For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. 4 They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams. 5 One will say, 'I belong to the Lord'; another will call himself by the name of Jacob; still another will write on his hand, 'The Lord's,' and will take the name Israel. 6 "This is what the Lord says-- Israel's King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. 7 Who then is like me?  Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come-- yes, let him foretell what will come. 8 Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one."

Who would pour out His Spirit? The ONE and ONLY Holy God would….

John 16:7-12
7 But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; 10 in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned. 12 "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

John 14:15-20
15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever-- 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

Who would that The ONE and only Holy God be who sends the spirit who send the living water? Jesus of course!

-more
As for when “The one name” would become one…

Zechariah 14:8-15
8 On that day living water will flow out from Jerusalem, half to the eastern sea and half to the western sea, in summer and in winter. 9 The Lord will be king over the whole earth. On that day there will be one Lord, and his name the only name.

Living water is the baptism of the Spirit…..

John 4:4-26
4 Now he had to go through Samaria. 5 So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. 6 Jacob's well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about the sixth hour. 7 When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, "Will you give me a drink?" 8 (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.) 9 The Samaritan woman said to him, "You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?" (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.) 10 Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." 11 "Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? 12 Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?" 13 Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

John 7:37-44
37 On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." 39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

Bang! the living water is the Baptism of the Spirit!

---More
Now throw in when it happened, when that living water was first poured out and you will know when God's name became one name...

Acts 2:1-4
1 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord* in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

BOOM...there is tongues....

But what of those religious people in Jesus' day and those of today who deny this, refuse it….and even call it "of Satan"!

Jeremiah 2:9-13
9 "Therefore I bring charges against you again," declares the Lord. "And I will bring charges against your children's children. 10 Cross over to the coasts of Kittim and look, send to Kedar and observe closely; see if there has ever been anything like this: 11 Has a nation ever changed its gods? (Yet they are not gods at all.) But my people have exchanged their Glory for worthless idols. 12 Be appalled at this, O heavens, and shudder with great horror," declares the Lord. 13 "My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water.

Jeremiah 17:12-18
12 A glorious throne, exalted from the beginning, is the place of our sanctuary. 13 O Lord, the hope of Israel, all who forsake you will be put to shame. Those who turn away from you will be written in the dust because they have forsaken the Lord, the spring of living water.

OUCH!  Things are tuff to those who reject the Baptism of the Spirit! :eek:
Thought you might find this note interesting from the NET Bible:

" Although some scholars have denied that the trinitarian baptismal formula in the Great Commission was a part of the original text of Matthew, there is no ms support for their contention. F. C. Conybeare, “The Eusebian Form of the Text of Mt. 28:19,” ZNW 2 (1901): 275-88, based his view on a faulty reading of Eusebius’ quotations of this text. The shorter reading has also been accepted, on other grounds, by a few other scholars. For discussion (and refutation of the conjecture that removes this baptismal formula), see B. J. Hubbard, The Matthean Redaction of a Primitive Apostolic Commissioning (SBLDS 19), 163-64, 167-75; and Jane Schaberg, The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (SBLDS 61), 27-29."
Now, back to the Main point:
And if God's name was one when the living water was poured out… that Name was "Yeshua"…AKA "Jesus"! Because the living water was the baptism of the Spirit which was FIRST poured outon the day of Pentecost.

Thus…we should fulfill Matt 28:16 as Peter did by Baptizing in that ONE name and that Is in Jesus’ name… because Peter knew that jesus was the only name of God thats why he said this:

Acts 4:10-12
10 let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole. 11 This is the 'stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone.' 12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."

But now you see…. How tightly linked the concept of one God in Jesus Christ, the Baptism of the spirit which is the living water, the timing of His name being one, and baptism in Jesus name is?

Simply....Amazing!  
What's amazing is that you really mean this:

39 By this he meant Himself, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time Jesus had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

Right?

See, that's what I mean...it is nonsensical.
Ripley's Wrote:What's amazing is that you really mean this:

39 By this he meant Himself, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time Jesus had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

Right?

See, that's what I mean...it is nonsensical.
Ripley... very simple and powerful two posts :arrowu:

One needs to place doubt on the Word of G-d and work religiously hard on getting a Medieval Rabbinical education in order to misunderstand the plain teachings of the Tanakh and the Brit Chadashah.

G-d is plural, G-d is One and never more than three persons.
Yeshua answered, "If I praise myself, my praise counts for nothing. The One who is praising me is my Father, the very one about whom you keep saying, `He is our God.' John 8:54 CJB
-emphasis mine-

*BOOM* (Just one of many scriptures that must be ignored or rendered nonsensical to follow Oneness.)