Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merry CHRISTmas
First, I have nothing against Christmas, except...

Look, first a little kid is taught that a really nice man is going to bring them presents and such, and then he/she learns it's a lie, and that people they have trusted lied to them.

So what happens when the next thing you do, is to tell them the Gospel of Jesus Christ?  Do you think that SC business makes it easy for them to believe you?

I remember being with my Father one Sunday afternoon (he would come by to pick me up on Sunday afternoon's,) and I mentioned Santa Claus.

He had taken me to his Mother's house and I recall, even as a little kid, a great pause in the conversation when I happened to bring up the subject of Santa Claus.

After that pregnant pause, they both decided to go ahead and lie as well...

(Given the circumstances, probably it was the right choice.  Sigh...)

My parent's were Jewish, divorced, but my Mom, by far the better/wiser parent was at the time raising me as unobservant.

She hadn't made a real choice, she was working all the time, doing all she could to keep us together.  

And yeah, she let other people tell me about Santa.  So what.

Later, I became a virulent atheist.  I mean big-time.  The kind of person everyone hears about and hates.  The kind the ACLU loves as a client.

Oh yeah.  God got my attention.  And when I was 24 I became a Christian.  38 years ago.

So, my two cent's, let's celebrate Christmas, making sure to omit Santa Claus and keep Christ in our celebration of his birth.

(12-25-2008, 12:04 AM)jewpoet Wrote: Which is which?

As a Yehud who grew up in a "evangelical family" i used to celebrate Christmas with the tradition stuff like Santa Claus and stuff, lights and food every Christmas midnight celebration and all that. But i noticed that as my life progressed Christmas seems to have gone into a celebration of family, food, gifts and all that and we have lose sight of the reason why we celebrate Christmas and the first syllable of that word. We tend to overdo our celebration with the so called good stuff of the celebration and not the celebrator who is Yashuah ha Mashiak, His reason for coming  and our responsibility to obey what he'd been telling us that to love our neighbors as we love ourselves and ironically every Christmas we only celebrate it with our family extravagantly but not noticing the decoration that we have in our houses of the holy family in a manger not with their family but with strange poor shepherds as well as rich wise men.  True Christmas is a celebration of giving, loving and caring for the needy people which is why Yashuah gave up his rich abode to be with the poor and not just salvation he brought along with him but as well as the knowledge on how to express our love towards other mankind. Merry CHRISTMAS and PEACE GOODwill towards all!!!

THERE ARE PLENTY OF GOD COMMANDED HOLY DAYS TO PRACTICE PEACE ON EARTH AND GOODWILL..TOO BAD YOU HAD TO CHOSE A PAGAN DAY WITH NO BIBLICAL SIGNIFANCE TO SAY THOSE HOLLOW WORDS ONCE A YEAR...IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE AN AROUND THE YEAR THING..JESUS SAID "BLESSED ARE THE PEACEMAKERS FOR THEY SHALL BE CALLED SONS OF GOD"....NOT JUST ONE PAGAN DAY A YEAR, BUT YEAR AROUND...
(12-31-2008, 07:16 AM)ShalomInMessiah Wrote: I agree with you, Jewpoet.  EVERYDAY should be "Christmas" for the needy!  G-D bless you!

JESUS WAS NOT EVEN BORN ANYWHERE NEAR DEC 25TH..IT IS STRICTLY PAGAN DAY FROM ANCIENT BABYLON HUNDREDS OF YEARS BEFORE JESUS WAS BORN...SO WHY KEEP IT..IF "EVERYDAY SHOULD BE "CHRISTMAS"..EVERYBODY WOULD BE BROKE FROM THE NONSENSICAL CAROLS PLAYED BY THE CASH REGISTERS...THE BUSINESSES WOULD LOVE IT THOUGH....CHRISTIANS WOULD DO WELL TO FOLLOW THE EXISTING DAYS WHICH ARE TRUE HOLY DAYS AS COMMANDED AND BLESSED BY GOD, IN THE MOSAIC LAWS. ALSO THESE "AVID" FOLLOWERS OF JESUS TEN TO FORGET ABOUT HIS HOLY SABBATH DAY EACH WEEK ON THE SEVENTH DAY..THIS IS COMMANDED AND BLESSED AND MADE HOLY BY GOD AT CREATION, AS PART OF THE CREATION WEEK..YET TOTALLY IGNORED..SO IF YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING TO PLEASE GOD TRY FOLLOWING THAT DAY FOR A CHANGE!
(02-21-2009, 10:38 AM)deut_20-21 Wrote: First, I have nothing against Christmas, except...

Look, first a little kid is taught that a really nice man is going to bring them presents and such, and then he/she learns it's a lie, and that people they have trusted lied to them.

So what happens when the next thing you do, is to tell them the Gospel of Jesus Christ?  Do you think that SC business makes it easy for them to believe you?

I remember being with my Father one Sunday afternoon (he would come by to pick me up on Sunday afternoon's,) and I mentioned Santa Claus.

He had taken me to his Mother's house and I recall, even as a little kid, a great pause in the conversation when I happened to bring up the subject of Santa Claus.

After that pregnant pause, they both decided to go ahead and lie as well...

(Given the circumstances, probably it was the right choice.  Sigh...)

My parent's were Jewish, divorced, but my Mom, by far the better/wiser parent was at the time raising me as unobservant.

She hadn't made a real choice, she was working all the time, doing all she could to keep us together.  

And yeah, she let other people tell me about Santa.  So what.

Later, I became a virulent atheist.  I mean big-time.  The kind of person everyone hears about and hates.  The kind the ACLU loves as a client.

Oh yeah.  God got my attention.  And when I was 24 I became a Christian.  38 years ago.

So, my two cent's, let's celebrate Christmas, making sure to omit Santa Claus and keep Christ in our celebration of his birth.

OMIT DEC 25TH AS WELL BECAUSE IT IS NOWHERE NEAR JESUS ACTUAL BIRTH, AND IS PAGAN IN ORIGIN FROM CENTURIES BEFORE JESUS WAS BORN...THERE IS NO COMMANDMENT OR BLESSINGS FROM GOD FOR COMMEMORATING A PAGAN DAY...TRY FOLLOWING THE ACTUAL DAYS GOD DID COMMAND AND MAKE HOLY IN HIS LAWS!
Speaking only for myself, here --

Gentiles come from a whole different place than Jewish folks, when it comes to coming to faith in the God of Israel. Gentile culture after gentile culture has had to make a long journey from pagan beliefs.

Some people seem to see only the paganism, and are repelled by it; others rejoice in the ways God has transformed things that once were dedicated to false pagan gods into ways to worship Him in spirit and in truth.

At this link, http://www.isleofman.com/heritage/ePedia...s/128.aspx
you can see a color rendering of the design carved onto a stone cross in the Isle of Man. A Viking carved it -- a Viking who had come to believe in Jesus -- more than 1,000 years ago.

The cross is believed to depict Jesus (or a missionary) holding a book (the Bible) in one hand, and a cross in the other; He is standing in triumph over a serpent, which represents evil.

The cross also depicts the Norse god Odin, the Fenris wolf, Odin's pet bird, and several other pagan symbols.

Some of you will recoil at the fact that Christian and pagan symbols are depicted together -- but I see an amazing example of God's grace and mercy. Here is a Viking whose entire culture revolved around nature gods, yet he is coming to understand that there is one God who is real, and who triumphs over all of those false gods.

Over the past two millennia, God has given many pagan cultures knowledge of Himself, and they, in turn, have worshipped Him in their own languages. And they have dedicated to Him, presented to Him, festivals and symbols that once belonged to false gods.

I see that as a transformation full of God's grace -- after all, things that I used to do for my own glory (such as charity work), I now do for His.

Jesus understands all languages, and He loves gentiles every bit as much as He loves Jews. He welcomes all of us who put our faith (obedient trust) in Him, and He understands that we come to him from different places and different backgrounds.

Some modern believers sound like the Judaizers about whom Paul wrote in Galatians -- Prayers and blessings should be said in Hebrew! Anything that isn't in the Bible is contaminated by paganism!

Christmas, Easter and other festivals and things that are "tainted" by pagan origins are offered to him by people from many nations. They are gifts to Him -- not to you and me -- so I'm for allowing Him to accept or reject them, as He pleases.
God does not like sin. God says in His holy word "do not add or subtract from the words of the Bible" adding pagan days such as dec 25th and easter, is living a lie, and is adding to the word of God..Rev.22 and Deut 4 condemn such activity..but you have free will to do as you please whether it pleases God or not!
What an undertone of "Jewish, good -- gentile, bad" there is in some of these threads!

God commanded His Jewish people to celebrate certain holy days. Where does Scripture say that gentiles are commanded to celebrate them as well?

When the New Testament was written, most believers in Jesus still were Jewish. As the centuries past, after the New Testament books were completed, most believers were gentile. Their ancestors were not freed from Egypt, nor did they leave Scotland to journey to Jerusalem for the Feast of Dedication. Being grateful for Jesus' birth and resurrection, they have celebrated those events in ways particular to their cultures.

Feel free to shriek "Pagans! Heretics!" at them if you want. But Chinese Christians, Kenyan Christians, Cherokee Christians, etc., etc. will continue to worship Jesus in ways that reflect their heritage, language and customs -- just as Jews will continue to celebrate their holy days in ways that reflect their heritage and culture.

Many people who consider themselves Christians are that in name (or perhaps family tradition, etc.) only -- but many, perhaps most, Jews are secular as well, and look forward to their holy days (holidays) primarily for the renewal of family ties and traditions.

Many people focus only on the material things of Christmas and Easter, but none of us knows how the Holy Spirit is working in their hearts to draw them closer to Him. It is an act of Christian charity to look for the best in others, and not assume the worst about them.

If you don't want to celebrate Jesus' birth and resurrection, then don't. They aren't celebrated in your honor, nor are the gifts given to you.

Jesus looks on the heart. Leave that to Him.
True followers of Jesus are to follow the Commandments every day of the year..that includes Jesus teachings of pray for your enemies, love your enemies...and Paul's writings if your enemy is hungry feed him and if he thirsts give him drink..and Do not fight evil with evil, but evil with good....that is a total commitment from true Christians year around..never mind some pagan day of dec 25th or easter and then forget about your obligations as a follower of Jesus!
Jesus said "if you love me keep my Commandments" John 14.15...that is how you honour Jesus and show you are a true follower of His...not by keeping false, pagan extra Biblical days which are man made traditions! Jesus scolded His followers for following the traditions of man and not the Commandments of God..Mark 7
(10-22-2012, 02:51 AM)John 14.6 Wrote: Jesus said "if you love me keep my Commandments" John 14.15...that is how you honour Jesus and show you are a true follower of His...not by keeping false, pagan extra Biblical days which are man made traditions! Jesus scolded His followers for following the traditions of man and not the Commandments of God..Mark 7

Then don't celebrate Christmas or Easter! Nobody says you have to!

But don't pretend that you can see inside people's hearts, discerning which ones really love and serve Jesus, and which don't. He is the one who looks on the heart.

Some of you are so busy assuming the worst about other people that you forget (or refuse) to be charitable and look for the best in them.

You CANNOT tell whether or not someone who celebrates Christmas or Easter really loves Jesus. That is up to HIM.

Gentiles are not Jews, and God did NOT command gentiles to worship Him within a Jewish framework.

Read Galatians 5 and Colossians 2, and try to understand what Christian liberty means. For everyone who is in Christ -- Jew and gentile -- the New Covenant brings liberty in love!

Hate Christmas and Easter?

Then don't celebrate them!