Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Mark make a mistake?
In Mark Chapter 2.34 - 38, Jesus points out to them a story about David found in 1 Samuel 21.  Mark here tells of Abiathar being the high preist.

When I go read in Samuel, I find that Samuel says that the high Priest is Ahimelech (Abiathar's father.)  

Why did Mark get the name of the high Preist incorrect?  Did he make a Mistake?  as Wikipedia says did he have a incomplete or incorrect version of the book of Samuel.  I thought the NT is the word of G-d?  So does G-d make mistakes?  You can justify this in any way you like, but just more proof that the NT is just writings of normal people.  There could only be one possible high preist at the time. Matthew and Luke where smart enough not to mention the name of the High Priest, but Mark got it Wrong!!

There is no "Mark Chapter 2.34 - 38."

Maybe in your haste to try and prove the NT wrong, you simply have not observed things properly, just as you haven't with your erroneous "Mark Chapter 2.34 - 38" interjection.

The Lord truly taketh the so-called wise in their own craftiness; halleluiah.

God bless.
And for the record, what Christ said was "in the days of Abiathar the high priest"; Christ did not say that David specifically met with Abiathar at that time.

Ahimelech was slain shortly thereafter by Saul, but Abiathar escaped.

And I Samuel 21 doesn't specifically say that Ahimelech was a "high" priest at that time, but just a priest, one of numerous priests (85 priests) at Nod that were slain by Saul, with another of the priests at Nod, Abiathar, having escaped. Thus Abiathar's escape shows that he would have then had to have been a priest at that time, seeing how then he would have had nothing to escape from, no need to, if he were not a priest at that time.

God is very good at taking the so-called wise in their own craftiness. You would do very well to meditate upon this.

God bless.

He might have been a sub priest or coregent like Aristarcus.
Ruht Wrote:And for the record, what Christ said was "in the days of Abiathar the high priest"; Christ did not say that David specifically met with Abiathar at that time.

Ahimelech was slain shortly thereafter by Saul, but Abiathar escaped.

And I Samuel 21 doesn't specifically say that Ahimelech was a "high" priest at that time, but just a priest, one of numerous priests (85 priests) at Nod that were slain by Saul, with another of the priests at Nod, Abiathar, having escaped. Thus Abiathar's escape shows that he would have then had to have been a priest at that time, seeing how then he would have had nothing to escape from, no need to, if he were not a priest at that time.

God is very good at taking the so-called wise in their own craftiness. You would do very well to meditate upon this.

God bless.

Yes, which ever way you try and justify things, you are only really hiding away from the truth that is infront of you.  These days a good lawyer can get anyone off any charge, its the same thing you can rationalise any mistake, but the mistake is clearly there!

Jesus was referencing a passage from the Tanach, and Matthew could not even reference it properly he made a mistake, Just like I made a mistake when I used the wrong passage ref.  Reading the NT is like playing broken Telephone, reading all these different accounts of one supposed event.....and everyone seems to have a different opinion on how events unfolded.  What is clear though is that all the Gospels, try really hard to tie the events back to events and writing found in the Old Testament.

Not sure why you are all so fixated with what is written in the NT, when the Apostles themselves prove to you the importance of the Old testament!

BTW, if you're going to continue to make the mistake of relying on your own human wisdom and interpretations on this, you insisting that Mark/Christ made some kind of mistake on this and that therefore the New Testament is not then Divine, then perhaps you can explain what could also appear as a mistake on this as well to the human mind, in II Samuel 8:17, in where the Torah appears to state that Ahimelech was the son of Abiathar, and not the other way around as stated previously in I Samuel 22:20, etc.

As I said, the word of God is a spiritual book written by God through men, and it is purposely hidden from the "natural man," and it therefore cannot be properly interpreted and discerned by the natural man; halleluiah.

Nevertheless many men have made the mistake in thinking that they could do so anyway; halleluiah.

God bless, my friend.

"But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But as it is written, eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things that God hath prepared for them that love him.

But God hath revealed them to us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth the all things, yea, the deep things of God.

For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ."
- I Corinthians 2:7-16
What Ahimelech could not name his son after his Father?Personally although I do not believe in fairytales, and do not spend my life trying to convince myself that unprovable events occurred.

Whether or not Moses really climbed mount Sinia, and met with G-d, or whether the Red Sea really split, is inconsiquential to me.  They are Stories that teach us things.  There is a lot to learn from the History and struggling of the Jewish Race.  

What is clear to me though, that if everyone did keep the laws of the Torah, and treated each other with respect, the world would be a much better place!  

This idea that if i believe in the existince of a fairytale about a man G-d named Jesus, does not do anything for this world!  We live in a real world, not a story book!  Actions speak much louder then words!  Trying to put G-d before other humans is a recipe for disaster, very evident in todays world watching people flying planes into buildings and fighting holy wars in the name of G-d!    How we treat other human beings is how we respect G-d, not what fairytales we believe in.  The Torah is a book that teaches us how to respect other human beings be the events true or not true, does not matter!
Chayim Wrote:Yes, which ever way you try and justify things, you are only really hiding away from the truth that is infront of you...  

I'm sorry, but your inability to be able to properly interpret and discern the Scriptures is hardly "the truth."

As I said, the Torah has Ahimelech listed as both the father of Abiathar and as the son of Abiathar (I Samuel 22:20; II Samuel 8:17), as interpreted by first glance of the human mind, yet you fail to mention this so-called 'discrepancy' as well.

What this actually proves, however, is that the Gospel of Mark was written from the same Spirit as were the writings of  I and II Samuel, and that the Lord wanted it written as such, for whatever purpose he has chosen, something that the natural man cannot properly understand without the Holy Spirit interpreting it properly unto man.

And God 'wrote' the Bible this way deliberately, as he will not allow man to be able to properly interpret it and understand except through God's Holy Spirit; halleluiah. Just as the Scriptures bear witness of; halleluiah.

The Lord taketh the so-called wise in their own craftiness, my friend. You would do good to meditate upon this.

God bless.
Well, here you are again, Chayim.  I just want to reinforce my earlier admonition for you to really get to know the Bible, starting with Genesis, including I Samuel.  Your current practice of looking around in places like wikipedia for skeptics' challenges to throw at Christians is not going to produce good results for you.  You are presenting yourself as one who is supporting the Tanach against the New Testament.  So, go to the Tanach and search for the truth with the faith that the Almighty Creator can communicate.  That will be the best use of your time.  Just in case you really want to know, those of us who have come to believe the New Testament have had a number of reasons for adopting that belief, and hiding from the truth was not one of them.  I think that if we wanted to hide from the truth, we wouldn't be anywhere near a forum such as this.
ThomasDGW Wrote:Well, here you are again, Chayim.  I just want to reinforce my earlier admonition for you to really get to know the Bible, starting with Genesis, including I Samuel.  Your current practice of looking around in places like wikipedia for skeptics' challenges to throw at Christians is not going to produce good results for you.  You are presenting yourself as one who is supporting the Tanach against the New Testament.  So, go to the Tanach and search for the truth with the faith that the Almighty Creator can communicate.  That will be the best use of your time.  Just in case you really want to know, those of us who have come to believe the New Testament have had a number of reasons for adopting that belief, and hiding from the truth was not one of them.  I think that if we wanted to hide from the truth, we wouldn't be anywhere near a forum such as this.

Thomas, the new testament is the opposite of the Truth, it is a badly written Story book, the more of which I read the more confusing it gets.  You can Ignore my points and try pick on me, but you are just avoiding my questions, that there are no real answerers for.  Also why are there so many skeptics if it makes so much sense?

Glad lots of people have come to find the new testament..and if it makes you happy then so be it, but I am asking you, why there are so many confusing issues in the bible, why are there so many discrepancies and various accounts of what is the same event!  I mean the bible is not even consistent on what Jesus's dying words where!  The lists goes on and on of similiar things like this.  It does not make sense to me, how can this be the word of G-d, if it has different accounts of the same event!  

Please if you have nothing realy or concrete to say then keep quite, I am here for debate and rational thinking, not the mindless "you just gotta have faith" nonsense I keep hearing!