Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire in Shabbath
"I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life! No Orthodox Jew would ever observe the Sabbath on Sunday"

It is in Bolivia, Yisroel.  The president of the synagogue here explained this policy to visitors to the synagogue during holocaust memorial week one time.  I always wondered about the Jewish businesses here that keep open on the Sabbath.  They probably don't consider themselves Orthodox, and they say they can't afford a rabbi.
ThomasDGW

I must correct myself... The 20 day's was a number I made up. Thing is, if you starving to death, you are allowed to eat pig. The rule is made by The Almighty and not by rabbi's

Further.
When I lived in Europe, queit some Christians offended me, because they found that I had to eat what they offered me. Or there where others even Messianic people, who found their own cheese Kosher enough, and told me that it was kosher (not that I ate it). I mean with that kind of agression I can't live. We keep rules, what God commanded to us.
If you as a non Jew don't want to offend the person where you want to eat, is a nice thing. I do that with certain customs, at home I might be more strickt. But Kosher food is a Torah commandment.
Anyway, your advice was to Shammuel, so for his context it seams good.
I just mean the offendingpart comes with more dimentions. A muslim will also not eat pig at all, just for being polite to the host etc.

Did Jesus not made his own rabbinical guidelines, so I guess a lot of Christians keep commentary and apostel-guidelines etc.?

Only in rear cases, where if you're business goes bankrupt if you don't open on shabbat, it might be allowed because otherwise your family might starve to death.   But those rules where made when there was no insurance etc. etc. Nowadays people should find other ways to avoid being to poor.
If it is to save a life, you are permitted to violate almost any Mitzvah.
Quote:If it is to save a life, you are permitted to violate almost any Mitzvah.

Well mitzwa is mainly the possitive things.
But o.k. Jews are indeed allowed to violate the forbidden thing to make fire on sabbath if it is to save a life. For a baby etc. who might be freezing cold inside the house in the winter it's allowed to put the heating on etc.
Or we can use a fire made by a non-Jew.
So Jews for Jesus are allowed to use fire made by non-Jews, except if they asked them to make it.
(02-07-2012, 03:39 PM)Yetzirah231 Wrote:
Quote:If it is to save a life, you are permitted to violate almost any Mitzvah.

Well mitzwa is mainly the possitive things.
But o.k. Jews are indeed allowed to violate the forbidden thing to make fire on sabbath if it is to save a life. For a baby etc. who might be freezing cold inside the house in the winter it's allowed to put the heating on etc.
Or we can use a fire made by a non-Jew.
So Jews for Jesus are allowed to use fire made by non-Jews, except if they asked them to make it.
How about to give your life for another?

Quote:How about to give your life for another?

Generally that is forbidden. But it's not an easy question.
Often you might not know if the other person realy would die if you didn't sacrifice yourself.

Although it's forbidden, most will find it understandable if you tried to risk your own life to safe others. If you can safe somebody out of the cold water or whatever I think shurley you should do it.
But if you walked into the desert with a friend, and both of you had 2 liters of water, and your friend just spoiled his water on whatever, and later you come in a lifethreathening situation of both of you drying out, you don't have to give water to your friend if your own life is at risk.

If you did give water it might be seen as corageous and stupid. But it will not be an example or ruling for Judaism that you are obligated to do so.
(06-07-2009, 03:22 PM)Yetzirah231 Wrote: So you can make fire, and even eat pork if you didn't eat for 20 days or so... :-)

Are you serious? Do you mean that literally? You just told this person they can eat pork.

Quote:Are you serious? Do you mean that literally? You just told this person they can eat pork.

Any non Jew can eat pork or make a fire on Sabbath. They are not commanded not to do this.
The Almighty said that saving a life goes above other ''Mitzwot'' and forbidden things. (you have to use text and brain of corse to know how to save a life). So yes, if you are starving from a logical lack of all food for about 20 days and you think you can't make it anymore, you are allowed to eat pork. If you don't have heat and are in a freezing cold place on Sabbath, and the baby starts to turn blue (who can't express himself by words) and his bodyfunctions are in danger, you can make fire.
Better to make fire than to kill a person. Better to eat pork than ''commit'' suicide by starvation.
(03-19-2012, 10:03 PM)Yetzirah231 Wrote: Any non Jew can eat pork or make a fire on Sabbath. They are not commanded not to do this.

I see.