Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star of Jacob, against Moab, Amelek
This week I did read a part of Torah.
And with a certain text I asked myself what ''Christians/Messianics'' have for commentaries about this.
Because on 1 hand Jesus suppose to be a Prince of Peace or so, at least not hate his enemies, wright?
So how can this star of Jacob than be Jesus as some Christians claim?

I'm not so much searching for personal phylosophies, but rather: does anybody have good commentaries from Christian Theologians or so about the ''conflict'' here. Is Jesus than against Amelek, Moab and Seth or does he love all kind of enemies? Or is this text not about Jesus, according to some preachers?
Secondly, during Jesus life here on earth, he didn't do much to Moabites.

If you read carefully HEROD, who killed John the Baptist, crushed John's head even in Moab. Maybe even to proof the point that the Moabites heads are not to be crushed yet.

Numbers 24:17

Anyway funny, I never knew that there was an American King James :-)

So what does it mean for Messianics that certain nations have this promise to be whiped out? Is The Almighty only Love, or can we ask ourselves ''What will the star of Jacob do''?

Greetings, thanks for reply

Revelation chapter 19 in the New Testament shows Jesus coming back to destroy enemies of God.  God shows patience and love towards his enemies, giving them rain and sun and other blessings even when they rebel against Him.  However, there comes a day when vengeance will be taken.  Jesus taught us to love our enemies so that we may be sons of our Father who is so merciful to His enemies Matthew 5:44-45).  God is love, but that is not all that He is.  There will be a day of vengeance, but that is in God's hands, not ours.
ThomasDGW

Thanks for the reply.
I will read Revelation chapter 19 later, good point I think.

But anyway if Jesus was Jewish, he had the commandment to destroy them, and if he had all the knowledge he knew who Amelek and some other nations were, and should have destroyed them by then. God told us that this commandment is in our hands, so he gave it out of His hands..
They where enemies of the Jews too, besides enemies of God. It is an commandment by God, also as Jews we learned to respect our enemies... So I don't see much difference, but these certain enemies had to be destroyed by decree of God.
So maybe Jesus was a lazy person, who wanted to keep them till the end, I don't know if that is an option...

I hope for some more answers,
This gave me some ideas to think about, but is in Jewish terms not an answer. It might show that Jesus was not living Gods commandments.

No, Jesus was definitely not a lazy person.  It is a question of when and under what circumstances.  In Genesis 15:16, Abraham was told that his seed would come into the Promised Land, but not for several generations because the iniquity of the Amorites was not full.  Moses said to stone adulterers, but Jesus came to a generation full of adulterers to offer mercy, and therefore told the crowd that those who had not sinned should cast a stone (John 8:7).  He was the only one who had not sinned, and there was no point in one man throwing a stone.  If Jesus had thrown a symbolic stone, he would have been denying his mission to offer mercy.

There were times when God told his people to destroy their enemies, because they were God's enemies.  Government officials are said to be God's instruments of vengeance (Romans 13:4).  So, you are right that there are times when God does deliver His vengeance into the hands of certain people for certain circumstances.

Deuteronomy 25:19 states: "[Therefore,] it will be, when the Lord your God grants you respite from all your enemies around [you] in the land which the Lord, your God, gives to you as an inheritance to possess, that you shall obliterate the remembrance of Amalek from beneath the heavens. You shall not forget!"

That was a charge given to Israel as a whole, and I suppose that the memory of Amalek had been already blotted out by the time of Jesus.  I think it was fulfilled when Haman the Agagite and his sons were finally killed.

Jesus was talking about loving one's personal enemies, not fulfilling national duties or duties of a person as a government officer.  This is not a new concept.  Leviticus 19: 18 tells us to love our neighbor as our self.  It does not say to just love your nice neighbors.  Micah 6:8 tells us that we are to do justice, and love mercy. Loving mercy means wanting to see forgiveness, when possible, consistent with the requirements of justice.  That is what loving your enemy is.
Yes this is true, Everyone will disappoint you at some time. We are all sinners and fall short, but the Lord is forgiving if we repent.  Genesis 28:12 and John 1:5 says Jesus bridges the gap that sin creates between God and people.  Jacob had a dream of a staircase bridging the gap between heaven and earth.   Genesis 32:28 also says about Jacob "Your name will no longer be Jacob but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome.  God's plans and promises will prevail, even in the midst of human weakness.
No no not at all, he was not a lazy person, seriously the people were blessed since they saw Jesus.
It is about someone being against those who are against Jesus (who is for them).

But if you want a commentary, I am afraid that is beyond my expertise.