Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do we know the Exodus happened?
Do we have any significant proofs? I was also wondering about Abraham, do we have evidence for his existence?
Well some things are just believe of course, and in the old days, writing books about somebody gave the most proof, if people agreed on it. I mean during Abrahams time people knew how to write, and they wrote the news.

In other texts outside of the bible (mainly from Irak), the story of the flood (Noah) etc. is also documentated.
From the Exodus, are Egyptian texts where you can find that 1 Pharao suddenly disappeared, people did find artifacts on the bottum of the reed-sea.

Off course we can ask also the question if Jesus was a real person, or if we can proof that John or Paul ever lived, or if those stories ever happened. For in writings around the first 2 centuries outside of Christian groups it's hard to find evidence.

In the old days we didn't had camera's etc. So most things where based on family-traditions. During the Exodus where much more witnesses (more than a million) then in Jezus period to proof that it happened.

Just some thoughts...
Greetings.
Neotetro Hello, your question I think it is an objection to confirmation of the existence of God and the people who elected him, my answer to your question about is it veram Abraham existed, because the entire Holy Bible is a source of maximum truth, written by men of God and by God himself in small part, so that everyone knew the power of the God of Israel. Abraham was certainly a person related to the business, but also the perception that slavery prevailing in Mesopotamia had reached unacceptable levels. Moses will probably come home in an attempted reform of the institutions and chosen exile as a last resort. The two tribes of Abraham and Moses at the bottom are the only two documented and alternative (or perhaps we could say that the alternatives are written in history was more significant) to the civilization that slavery then characterized as a geopolitical territory of the fertile crescent.

We can not leave out this, otherwise we can not understand why a simple merchant, became the parent of three great religions.

In the story of Abraham, there are ethical issues that go beyond the merely economic issues that religion has deformed as they believed, but which we can not ignore, even to be interpreted in a secular-humanist.

There is something in the personality of Abraham which is quite unique compared to the times in which he lived. In a way he represents the conscience of the need to overcome slavery in a historical period in which it is now considered fundamental to the development of the structures of civilization.

Its history is not simply linked to twice exodus from the two slave systems (Babylonian and Egyptian), but also a kind of ethical consciousness that the time must have appeared quite exceptional.
As for the birth of Isaac, there are also those who argue that it has been adopted and that her down syndrome appeared only reached a certain age, but the texts shows that he was born of a woman who had never been able to have children and that now would not have been more. (Note that the years in the Bible are attributed to the different characters do not have much historical sense and we must interpret them). Perhaps Sarah was pregnant during the period of menopause, when hormonal upheaval could have become pregnant unexpectedly: Isaac, then, was the result of an accident on the journey of an unwanted pregnancy. Whether the biblical exegetes, rewriting the Old Testament, have distorted things, this is entirely understandable.
It would be interesting to know if he thought Abraham to sacrifice Isaac to the despair of having a son or down to equalize the wrong done to Ishmael, who certainly loved more, and not left to his fate ever (a little 'as the rich do with children natural). The fact that the last time we have rethought which is indicative of deep human consciousness had to have this man.
As for the circumcision, this practice existed in Egypt even before the Abraham practiced. We say that Egypt was not official (perhaps belonged to some tribes) and that it had political significance that he gave to the tribal membership, probably in Egypt was used as a formal rite of initiation into adult life or something similar. However, Abraham was a kind of sign of social recognition, and this could tornar convenience of a small nation in the midst of the giants of slavery charge.
We are still in a period of tribal primitivism, but let us not forget that among the Jews circumcised there was a lot more generosity and kindness that is not between Jews and Gentiles. This magnanimity intratribale civilizations slavery have never been, nor Egyptian or Babylonian. This is why I can give an answer to your question just faithful to the word of the Lord.
So we mostly have indirect evidence?

For example we can't see an earthquake, but we can see its effects...

Am I correct?
Hello Neotetro,
It has correctly focused on the full speech
No, I'm a believer in Jesus, I'm just trying illustrate something SuperRomu, I'm trying to illustrate a point. There is proof. I already know the answer, just watch what I write...
Neotetro Wrote:How do we know the Exodus happened?
Do we have any significant proofs? . . .

Hi Neotetro,

You may find this of interest:

Ron Wyatt--The Route of the Exodus

Wyatt Archaeological Research sells this DVD
--it's very interesting: Discovered--The Exodus

Just to let you know, Ron Wyatt has many vociferous critics,
here is one you can cut and paste into your browser address bar to see: tentmaker.org/WAR/

Foolish Notion Wrote:
Neotetro Wrote:How do we know the Exodus happened?
Do we have any significant proofs? . . .

Hi Neotetro,

You may find this of interest:

Ron Wyatt--The Route of the Exodus

Wyatt Archaeological Research sells this DVD
--it's very interesting: Discovered--The Exodus

Just to let you know, Ron Wyatt has many vociferous critics,
here is one you can cut and paste into your browser address bar to see: tentmaker.org/WAR/

I don't know how to say this gently, so I'll just be blunt; Ron Wyatt claims are a hoax.

I have, at times, longed for some solid evidence that we could present to the World to show them God does exist.  But proof is irrelevant, as we know they will reject it.

Arguing with atheists/secularists/the non-saved is useless.  You could show them a white piece of paper and if they want to believe it is black, that is what they will see. If you tell them they can see the paper is obviously white, they will respond with, "I know it looks white to you, but it is really black."

God has given us plenty of proof. We don't need to prove everything to believe in God. And proving everything is useless in convincing those who wish to deny.

God has asked us to believe by faith.  If He provides us with hard cord proof of everything, what need is there for faith?