Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit
Hi all.

I was wondering if we could talk about what this sin is, and how someone commits it.  I have struggled with fear that I have commited it, or a sin like it, that has separated me from God.  I'm sorry to bother you all, but with the Lord returning soon (I believe), I want to make sure I am where I need to be.  

(I have also been reading about religious scrupulosity, and I may have that, but why does my heart condemn me if I am saved?  Why does this feeling not go away, even though I've cried out in repentance to God?)
Hey, I have a group that I talk to, they all have scrupulosity.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/the_scrupe_group/

I'm registered as [email protected]

My heart goes out to you man, I know what you go through. I also know you have Scrupulosity, I see it, because I went through the same things you do. OCD tends to make one feel guilty for no reason. The part of your brain that senses danger is overreactive in people with OCD.

It causes us to check and double check things, like apologetics and salvation because we want to be sure we are right. For you and me, it was the unforgivable sin. John talks of the unforgivable sin, did you know that? He calls it the sin unto death. What does that mean? It simply means the unforgivable sin is attributing the Holy Spirit's work as evil UNTO DEATH. You obviously don't think this way anymore, so it does not apply to you. I plead with you to join this group and ask these questions there, you will be amazed and assured.

For me, I needed to check and double check apologetics, making sure I was correct on every point, making sure Jesus was the Messiah, studying scripture for hours and hours a day, skipping meals. I needed to know what was true and my OCD grabbed onto that and made me study hours a day for 7 months. You will thank God for your OCD one day, it makes us great fact finders and gives us an un biased view of whatever we tackle.

Your heart may condemn you but you need to remember that OCD twists our feelings. We can't live by feelings and warm fuzzies. We need to live by the Word of God that declares you NOT CONDEMNED by the blood of the Messiah.
I am always available to talk with anyone who has OCD, Jew or Gentile. My heart goes out to anyone who suffers from scrupulosity.
One more post on scrupulosity and the unpardonable sin.

This sin is attributing the Holy Spirits work to the devil all the way to death. What makes it unforgivable is that someone who thinks in this way must be far from God and obviously does not trust Jesus. That is why it is unforgivable. Simply because they do not want to be forgiven. If you are concerned if you committed the sin, you are in great shape, it shows your heart wants to be forgiven still. You are not hardened like the Pharisees who really did commit this sin. OCD may cause you to have these thoughts, but they return because you fear them.

You are fine, but I know you will not take my word for it. Your OCD will make you seek more and more assurance. It will not stop until you ignore the condemnation in your heart and repent and trust in Gods word. When your heart screams GUILTY! and God's word screams NOT GUILTY! who will you believe? It looks like Paul committed this sin, he obviously heard of Jesus' miracles and did not believe. He must have attributed it to something. Yet when he repented he was welcome in. The same goes for you and anyone else.
The "blaspheme of the "Holy Spirit" is simply the rejection of Jesus Christ unto salvation, the only sin that cannot be pardoned, seeing how there will be no more saviors.

If you have ever been saved, you have nothing to worry about, as you HAVE eternal life the moment you are saved, and you can never lose it, otherwise it was never ETERNAL in the first place.

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, HATH everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, but IS passed from death unto life." - John 5:24

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me HATH everlasting life." - John 6:47

"Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, HATH ETERNAL LIFE; and I will raise him up at the last day." - John 6:54

"These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may KNOW that ye HAVE ETERNAL LIFE, and that ye believe on the name of the Son of God." - I John 5:13

The word of God can only be properly interpreted through the Spirit of God, and God has written it this way deliberately; halleluiah.

"ALL" sins are freely forgiven unto men who accept Christ through faith in his blood and become saved. The only sin that therefore cannot be forgiven unto men and covered by the blood of Christ is the sin of rejecting that free offer, the 'blaspheme' of the Holy Spirit who attempts to draw all men unto this salvation through Christ, as that is the only provision God has given for the forgiveness and redemption of man.

God bless.

I passed through a time when I had those same fears of being eternally lost.  I hope that it leads you, as it did me, to become unshakably sure.  One reason that your feeling has not gone away could be that God wants you to keep pressing on to become established in the truth.

John 6:37  "All that the Father gives Me shall come to me, and him that comes to Me I will in no wise cast out."

I John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

God keeps all of his promises.  If a person has come to the place that he cannot be saved, then he will not be able to come to Jesus. If a person has committed the unpardonable sin, he will not be able to confess his sin.

I John 3:9 "Anyone who has been born of God does not practice sin, because His seed remains in him, and he is not able to sin because he has been born of God."

Salvation is not simply nor primarily forgiveness of sins.  It is a new birth that occurs spiritually.  Romans 7 shows that the born again Christian is composed of two aspects, one which delights in the Law of God, and the other that cannot be subject to the Law of God.  The inner man which delights in the Law of God is the aspect of a Christian which cannot sin.  The outer man, the flesh, does sin when it is not controlled.  If it is not controlled and perhaps sins the unpardonable sin, the result will be physical death (see I John 5:16).  However, in that case, the inner man is still saved from eternal judgment (see I Corinthians 11:30-32)
I've heard preachers teach on this subject, but most seem to say 'rejecting' Jesus is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.  This silly, a lot of people reject Christ for whatever reason...even as children...and follow him later on.

"And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils." Mark 3:22

"Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit. Mark 3:28-30

The scribes were saying...and teaching...that the works that Jesus was doing was through the power of Baal Zebub, or Satan. The scribes were speaking with an evil tongue, lashon hara, against the Holy Spirit.

If you fear that you have commited the unpardonable sin...then you have not. You would not care...at all.

Shalom,
Christopher
chrikaren Wrote:I've heard preachers teach on this subject, but most seem to say 'rejecting' Jesus is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.  This silly, a lot of people reject Christ for whatever reason...even as children...and follow him later on.

"And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils." Mark 3:22

"Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit. Mark 3:28-30

The scribes were saying...and teaching...that the works that Jesus was doing was through the power of Baal Zebub, or Satan. The scribes were speaking with an evil tongue, lashon hara, against the Holy Spirit.

If you fear that you have commited the unpardonable sin...then you have not. You would not care...at all.

Shalom,
Christopher

If you claim that those who say that the rejection of Christ is the blaspheme of the Holy Spirit, is "silly," because a lot of people reject him when they're children only to accept him later, then so what if they do, and how then does that make "silly" those who correctly state that the blaspheme of the Holy Spirit is indeed the rejection of Christ?

If the blaspheme of the Holy Spirit is a literal sin that if done by man can NEVER be forgiven, then why did Christ say in the very verse that YOU cited that whosoever does such a thing is "in DANGER of eternal damnation," and rather Christ not say that they are indeed then eternally damned?

The Lord taketh the so-called wise in their own craftiness, my friend, and the words of Christ can only be properly interpreted by the Spirit of Christ.

If the blaspheme of the Holy Spirit was as you and other 'unlearned' on this subject often suggest, then we have a contradiction in the very words of Christ on this, as if it was truly a literal sin that one might utter against the Holy Spirit, in where there then is absolutely no forgiveness then for such a sin, then anyone doing so would not be "in danger" of eternal damnation, but rather they would instantly be eternally damned.

The words of Christ can only be properly interpreted by the Spirit of Christ, and the blaspheme of the Holy Spirit is indeed rejection of the free salvation that is in Christ, that which man can only come to and receive but through the Holy Spirit. If man keeps rejecting this call of the Holy Spirit, man is therefore in deed in danger of eternal damnation should he or she continue to reject Christ, and then ultimately die without Christ.

God help you.

Ruht

Ruht, I think what he was trying to say that in that atributing to the evil work to the Holy Spirit, it showed the condition of their hearts, which were unforgivable being that they were rejecting the very forgiveness that Messiah offered us.
My friend, we are all damned already. We have all sinned and we all do not measure up to the righteousness of God. By God's grace is anyone saved. We Thank God for His mercy and His wonderful provision; that is Christ Jesus. Why did Jesus say 'in danger'? Because there is room for repentance at the moment you are aware that you are wrong. There is however, no room for repentance if you insist on the continuation of this error.

I agree that if a person dies without forgiveness of sins, then he/she will experience the wrath of God.

Blasphemy is a literal thing. Speaking evil or speaking in an evil manner about another person is blasphemy. This concept is not difficult and can even be understood by an unlearned person such as myself.

Shalom,
Christopher