Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Observation
I have noticed there is a mindset from Judaism. It seems to me the old testament Jews are obeying the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law be it oral or written. It is the same with the new testament christian as well. Adam and Eve walked with God as did Jacob, they saw and believed. The new testament Christians have never seen God but are asked only to believe with faith.
It would further be added if I followered the spirit of the law I would be criticized by those who only follow the letter of the law be it the old testament or new testament. Clarification of the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law. pljames
Firstly, to clarify: there was no 'old' testament when Jesus lived, because of course there was no 'new' testament until decades after he died. The OT is a Christian text; it is a total mistranslation and reorganization and dilution OF the Hebrew scriptures that Jesus would have read: the TANAKH.So Jesus wouldn't have, couldn't have said anything about the OT. It didn't exist until long after his death.We know that Jesus read and studied the Torah, which is the holy Jewish text and part of the Tanakh. We know that he taught basic Torah - 'love thy neighbour' was a JEWISH teaching, written in the Torah thousands of years BEFORE Christianity 'borrowed' it!Jesus died a practising Jew. He never, ever left Judaism.
Wow, have I just been absent from these boards for too long? When did Christianity go from being a continuation of Judaism to 'a total mistranslation and reorganization and dilution OF the Hebrew scriptures' ??
Hi Pljames,
Quote:I have noticed there is a mindset from Judaism. It seems to me the old testament Jews are obeying the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law be it oral or written. It is the same with the new testament Christian as well. Adam and Eve walked with God as did Jacob, they saw and believed. The new testament Christians have never seen God but are asked only to believe with faith.
It would further be added if I followered the spirit of the law I would be criticized by those who only follow the letter of the law be it the old testament or new testament. Clarification of the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law. pljames

Well, I understand that it seems to you like that. But I think Jews also follow the spirit of the Law.

And another question might be: where is it written that you should 'only' follow the spirit of the law? Or are you now criticizing others by a legalistic thought that others are less spiritual as you are. And an idea as ''others should leave you alone or not criticize you'' is that not also legalistic in itself?
Or people might also claim that their idea in spirit of the law is better than somebody else his idea of spirit of the law...

So I guess it doesn't help to separate. The law should be kept literally and spiritually.