Bible Options Bible Study Software
Hi Again, I got a question
Hi again,
Ok. Finally, I have gathered my thoughts together to formulate a question please.In 2 Cor :6-11,the NT appears to indicate that Torah,which is absolutely 100% ETERNAL ,has been done away with by Christianity.How can someone accept Christianity,and the NT when things like this are found?
Thanks
Ahuvah
Ahuvah Wrote:Hi again,
Ok. Finally, I have gathered my thoughts together to formulate a question please.In 2 Cor :6-11,the NT appears to indicate that Torah,which is absolutely 100% ETERNAL ,has been done away with by Christianity.How can someone accept Christianity,and the NT when things like this are found?
Thanks
Ahuvah

torah done away with? i dont think so. See Matthew 5: 17, 18. see also what others say re:dietary laws. i cant answer that well. anyways here it is:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=NIV

The Fulfillment of the Law
17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

hope that helps.
Ahuvah Wrote:Hi again,
Thanks
Ahuvah

This link gets pretty deep into your question

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/finaltorah.html
Ahuvah, you have hit on a central issue.  It probably would have been more appropriate to put it in the Theology section.  You also left off the chapter number, but I think I found it, II Corinthians 3:6-11.

I believe that the key to this is found in comparing II Cor. 3:3 to Jeremiah 31:31-34.  As there have been step-wise developments in the revelation of the Torah- for example, Joseph did not have a tabernacle and pillar of fire, Moses and Joshua did not have a permanent temple- Jeremiah tells of one more development: the writing of the Torah on the hearts instead of tablets of stone.

There are many Christians, including myself, who have interpreted these statements in the New Testament as meaning that God junked the Torah for a new system, or a new religion.  However, what was to be done away with (see also Hebrews 8:13) is precisely the old method of administration, by letter, to be replaced by spiritual administration.  Hebrews 8:8-12 are an exposition of Jeremiah 31.  That spiritual administration of the Torah is then not an abolishment of the Torah, but a planned abolishment of an old administration (that of the letter: Do this to live) and the elevation of the Torah to a new plane (that of the spirit: the creation of a new heart which naturally desires to do the Torah).  It is the same Torah, just as the Torah for the tabernacle was the same as The Torah for the Temple of Solomon.

Now, as a Christian, I do not consider myself to be a follower of a religion called Christianity, but a person who follows the Torah spiritually (and to a large extent physically, as a non-Jew).  The Torah is the only true religion, the only one given by God.
Thank you both for your well prepared arguments.I can see you put a lot of preperation and thought into those replies,and I sincerely appreciate what you have done and your taking that type of time and effort .
Have a good evening Slaves2sin,and Sugarman,
Ahuvah
Ahuva, I think first and foremost we must distinguish between the Torah and the Mosaic/Sinaic covenant.  The Torah contains the Mosaic covennat, but is NOT the Mosaic covenant.  See the difference?

The Torah contains history, poetry, covenants (one way, e.g. Abrahamic and two way, e.g. Mosaic), etc.  But it is MUCH more than the Mosaic covenant.  For example in Deu 29:4, Moses laments that Israel does not have the heart to keep the Mosaic covenant, but in Deu 30:6 he looks forward to a new movement of G-d in which G-d fixes the stiff-necked heart of Israel (hard hearted like all of mankind).  Years later, during the exile (a curse predicted by Moses in the later chapters of the Torah) Jeremiah (31:31-34) looks forward to this new movement and calls it the new covenant.  Ezekial (36:26-28) does also.  There are many more discussions of it in the Tanakh.  The new was to make up for man's inability to keep the old.

This is discussed more in the "Christians don't eat pork" and other threads here.  

Blessings in Messiah!
Thank you Third Day .Your response was sort of heavy for me.I'll have to reread thata coiple of times.Thanks for the  effort and time you put into it..
Check out the EXCELLENT talks by a Messianic Jewish scholar/teacher:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2x3QSC...OGYy&hl=en

His talks on "The Law" and the "Tour de Torah" are particularly relevant.
sugarman Wrote:This link gets pretty deep into your question

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/finaltorah.html
Just started reading this link tonight, very good so far!