Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jesus' True Birthday
(02-15-2013, 04:03 PM)Nachshon Wrote: Yeshua in Hebrew means "he will be saved" future tense. Yeshua is Aramaic and short for Yehoshua in Hebrew. Yeshua as an Aramaic name does not occur in Tanakh.

There is no "J" letter in the Hebrew aleph-bet. But, according to the Yeminite tradition, when the letter "gimel" does not have a dagesh, it is pronounced as a "j", otherwise it is pronounced with a "g" sound.

My question in 8) was why is the name "J-sus" in the NT as opposed to Joshua for an english translation of Yehoshua?

Joshua doesn't mean 'he shall save his people from their sins.' Neither does Yeshua. Joshua means God rescues. However Yeshua is used to refer to Jesus.

So in reality, he shall save his people from their sins, is who Messiah is. And is the one who was crucified. How you would say that in Hebrew in a literal translation is another thing.
(02-16-2013, 04:07 PM)MessianicJew Wrote:
(02-15-2013, 04:03 PM)Nachshon Wrote: Yeshua in Hebrew means "he will be saved" future tense. Yeshua is Aramaic and short for Yehoshua in Hebrew. Yeshua as an Aramaic name does not occur in Tanakh.

There is no "J" letter in the Hebrew aleph-bet. But, according to the Yeminite tradition, when the letter "gimel" does not have a dagesh, it is pronounced as a "j", otherwise it is pronounced with a "g" sound.

My question in 8) was why is the name "J-sus" in the NT as opposed to Joshua for an english translation of Yehoshua?

Joshua doesn't mean 'he shall save his people from their sins.' Neither does Yeshua. Joshua means God rescues. However Yeshua is used to refer to Jesus.

So in reality, he shall save his people from their sins, is who Messiah is. And is the one who was crucified. How you would say that in Hebrew in a literal translation is another thing.

I know that the NT makes that connection with the Messiah and death and crucifixion, but I don't think you can make that connection in the Tanakh where Messiah is specified as a person dieing for sins or being crucified. Verses in Isaiah and Psalms often used to reference these concepts do not mention the Messiah.
(03-01-2013, 05:09 AM)Magdalena Wrote: But Isaiah saw Yeshua,s Glory ans spoke about him .Rolleyes

I did read in John 12:34 The crowd spoke up, “We have heard from the Law that the Messiah will remain forever, so how can you say, ‘The Son of Man must be lifted up’? Who is this ‘Son of Man’?”

35 Then Jesus told them, “You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. Whoever walks in the dark does not know where they are going. 36 Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light.” When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them.

37 Even after Jesus had performed so many signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him. 38 This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet:

“Lord, who has believed our message
and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”

39 For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere:

40 “He has blinded their eyes
and hardened their hearts,
so they can neither see with their eyes,
nor understand with their hearts,
nor turn—and I would heal them."

41 Isaiah said this BECAUSE HE SAW JESUS GLORY AND SPOKE ABOUT HIM.
(Isa 6:1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple ")

42 Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not openly acknowledge their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; 43 for they loved human praise more than praise from God.
I don't think you can defend that view by what is written in Tanakh. The verses in Isaiah don't mention Yeshua's name, or that Yeshua is G-d.
Video 
The Star of Bethlehem.

Thought I'd put this here (relates to Jesus' true birthday...in a way)

Watch from start to end. I highly recommend it. And also to our Jewish friends here who do not accept Y'shua as Messiah, if you find the time please view this video.

Here's the main website location: http://www.bethlehemstar.net/