Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Mary a Levite?
Someone recently asked me this question and it looks bogus. What do you all think?

'consider this, john the baptist was jc's cousin and his brother james was the last kohan (priest), only Levites are kohan and the tribes did not marry outside their tribe (commandment)...how are they Levites and jc is Judah? It's so many ways to slap around what we have been taught and prove it's not parallel with the Most High...way to easy.'
Mary and Elizabeth were relatives (Luke 1:36).  Elizabeth was of the daughters of Aaron, which means that her father was a descendant of Aaron.  In Luke3:23-31 is given what I believe is the genealogy of Mary, showing her to be from David and thus Judah in her patrilineal descent.  That means that Mary's mother and Elizabeth's mother were related, either sisters, aunts or cousins.  Somewhere along the line, a Levite married a non-Levite.  It could be that Elizabeth's mother was a non-Levite, or if Elizabeth's mother was a Levite, Mary's mother was a Levite, or a daughter of someone who married that Levite.  In any possible case, that does NOT make Mary a Levite, since tribal descent is through the male line.

The idea that a Levite could not marry one of another tribe is not true.  The only restriction on Levite marriages is in the case of priests in Leviticus 21, who could only take a virgin of their own people for a wife.  I do not know "their own people" means the tribe of Levi or Israel in general, but in any case, this applied only to priests, Aaron's sons.
Thank you Thomas. That is an example of some of the questions those Black Hebrew Israelites ask. This guy is working so hard to try and disprove the New Testament that he even resorts to trying to use the Apochrypha as his proof. Thanks for the insight on the marriages as well. My Old Testament knowledge isn't that strong yet.
ThomasDGW Wrote:  The only restriction on Levite marriages is in the case of priests in Leviticus 21, who could only take a virgin of their own people for a wife. 

Close.....kohanim are permitted to marry non-virgins. The kohane gadol
must marry a virgin.

Referring to kohanim, Lev. 21:7:
Quote:7. They shall not marry a woman who is a prostitute or who is desecrated, and they shall not marry a woman who is divorced from her husband for he [the kohen] is holy to his God.

The restrictions on the kohane gadol, Lev 21:10-14
Quote:10. And the kohen who is elevated above his brothers, upon whose head the anointment oil has been poured or who has been inaugurated to wear the garments he shall not leave his hair unshorn or rend his garments.

13. He shall marry a woman in her virgin state.   

14. A widow, a divorcee, a woman who is desecrated or a prostitute he shall not marry [any] of these. Only a virgin of his people may he take as a wife

My understanding is that "from among his own people" refers to born Jews; thus kohanim may not marry converts.

Sheitl Queen Wrote:
ThomasDGW Wrote:  The only restriction on Levite marriages is in the case of priests in Leviticus 21, who could only take a virgin of their own people for a wife. 

Close.....kohanim are permitted to marry non-virgins. The kohane gadol
must marry a virgin.

Referring to kohanim, Lev. 21:7:
Quote:7. They shall not marry a woman who is a prostitute or who is desecrated, and they shall not marry a woman who is divorced from her husband for he [the kohen] is holy to his God.

The restrictions on the kohane gadol, Lev 21:10-14
Quote:10. And the kohen who is elevated above his brothers, upon whose head the anointment oil has been poured or who has been inaugurated to wear the garments he shall not leave his hair unshorn or rend his garments.

13. He shall marry a woman in her virgin state.   

14. A widow, a divorcee, a woman who is desecrated or a prostitute he shall not marry [any] of these. Only a virgin of his people may he take as a wife

My understanding is that "from among his own people" refers to born Jews; thus kohanim may not marry converts.

She was a Levite.

Avraham
Jesus must conform to various standards as set down by Cult of Jesus members, also known as Christians. The problem of course is whom do you believe?

Interesting...

except that Jesus his father was God, so then he can't be a priest at all.
And if Jesus brother Jacob (called after King James :-), was a Priest why was his father and he not working in the Temple as they suppose to do?
I can't find that much about that discussion in the Christian Testament.

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for."
Bob Marley
Jakob was called Israel, after Y-H-W-H did hurt Him. Some worship a softie-love idea to much and will not grow.
Yetzirah, you might like to read Hebrews 7:14 and 8:4 which states that Jesus could not be a priest on this earth, because he is of the tribe of Judah.

And where on earth did you get the idea that Jesus' half-brother was a priest?
This is actually the wrong section to carry on a debate since it is 'why I believe in Jesus'.

But the argument that Mary is a Levite is a surprising argument and from a Jewish perspective makes no sense.

I am not a Levite, but I have a cousin who is a Levite. Mary and Elizabeth were cousins and women. There is no reason Elizabeth would not have a husband who is a Levite.

For me it is simple, my fathers sister married a man who is a Levite. Since the father passes tribe to the children, I get my tribe from my father, and my cousin gets his tribe from his father.
Hi ThomasDGW,

Quote:Yetzirah, you might like to read Hebrews 7:14 and 8:4 which states that Jesus could not be a priest on this earth, because he is of the tribe of Judah.

And where on earth did you get the idea that Jesus' half-brother was a priest?

O.k. I understand the text from Hebrews. But it's said that Jesus was a priest in the order of Melchizedek.

I don't know what Joseph's status was actually, and I don't know if James was a Levite or a Priest. Jans had somebody who seems to claim so. If so, they didn't do any priestly tasks as far as I know.
"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for."
Bob Marley
Jakob was called Israel, after Y-H-W-H did hurt Him. Some worship a softie-love idea to much and will not grow.
Yetzirah, Jesus is a priest after the order of Mechizedek in the heavens.  Hebrews explains that the tabernacle of Exodus was a copy of the real one in heaven, where Jesus has gone into as a priest.  On earth, in the earthly temple (when it is rebuilt), the only priests allowed are the sons of Aaron. This will remain in force until the heavens and earth are destroyed and the new,eternal heavens and earth are created in which there will be no sun in the sky.

Joseph's genealogy is given in Matthew, which indicates that he is of the tribe of Judah, and therefore, Joseph's sons such as James, etc. were of the tribe of Judah.