Bible Options Bible Study Software

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
06-17-2011, 10:15 AM
as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:1  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

I am convicted that this is speaking of me. May I know God and therefore know Love. Amen
Find all posts by this user
06-20-2011, 07:55 AM
RE: as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
I think it refers more to those in the world who do not have God, because God is love! If you have God in your life what you say and do matters, even if the world thumbs their nose at you, it still makes waves and impacts many for the Lord.
Dont fear being a tinkling cymbal, those who reject God are tinkling cymbls, even if they show kindness, it rings fake! I once asked about the unpardonable sin...my wise pastor said that no one who is concerned about not doing this sin could ever do it, it is only those whose hearts are calloused and dry and angry and against God that committ the unpardonable sin against the Holy Spirit. Personally I think that is doing hypnosis, but thats my opinion. So dont beat yourself up, satan would be out of job if we did his work for him, instead put your trust in God to take care of your spiritual life....HES THE MASTER OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, He knows what  Hes doing, you and I can trust Him.
06-20-2011, 10:55 AM
1Co 13:1  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

He means no matter what great things one might do, or how great if your not doing it for the good of others it amounts to nothing.  It goes along with the saying "faith, hope and love, the chief of these things is Love.  Love which he defines as for the benefit of others.  Such as Jesus saying, "that which you have done to the least of my people you have done unto me", So if you want to love God, love your brothers and sisters, fellow man etc.
06-20-2011, 02:48 PM
SouthernBapt2 Wrote:1Co 13:1  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

I am convicted that this is speaking of me. May I know God and therefore know Love. Amen

Paul concludes the passage, "now abides faith , hope and love, these three but the greatest of these is love".

Some think "faith" is the greatest because it is how one is saved. But Paul says love is the greatest......do you know why?

Because love is eternal.....it is the only thing that carries on into the next life, we can and do take love and all the love we showed and gave, with us!  

Whereas , faith will come to an end and hope will come to an end as well.  When we see Jesus in the day, faith will be no more and hope will vanish.....but love is and will be your reward.

So yes, the passage does apply to all of God's children.
06-20-2011, 06:49 PM

My bible and most others uses the word Love instead of Charity.  It's said the God is Love.  I think it's necessary to use the word love to get the complete meaning of the chapter.

John 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

I read the chapter as anticipating the second coming.  It describes what love is, righteousness, godliness, completeness of being.  "Now we  know in part". We prophesy in part, we don't really know what heaven is like.  "But when that which is perfect has come (Christ, Christs Kingdom, heaven), then we will know in full".  Our partial understanding or faith, will be a complete understanding.  In the meantime, abide in faith (partial understanding) hope ( the belief that Christ will return) and love (as best as we can).

Also seems to say that no matter what you do for others, if you do it for selfish reasons it profits you nothing in Gods kingdom.  If you take a reward from it, whether you want recognition, to be noticed like a rock star, to be seen of men. vain glory it's as a sounding trumpet or tinkling cymbal...just making noise to be heard.

06-21-2011, 05:21 AM
There is a big difference between telling someone about the Lord because you know them and telling someone because you love them.
06-21-2011, 01:22 PM
I really hope that I dont have to feel like being nice in order to be nice to someone. My pastor, a different one than mentioned before, said that it is always right to do right, even if you dont feel like it. So loving someone might not actually require an emotional connection but more of duty because of our love for God, and His unmeasurable love for us, and for the ones we show love to. Whew, am I glad, its exhausting loving others. To love our enemies, now that is a real feat! Can we really love, or have love in our hearts for someone persecuting us or spitting on us? I dont know if I can muster a true loving feeling at that moment, but I can still do something loving for them because of Jesus...and that only because God lets me.
06-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Me neither Hope7, but maybe it's not all about doing those things as it is recognizing we can't, in so doing recognising ourselves as sinners.

I cor 14, the discussion about tongues shows what they hope to happen is an unbeliever recognise that he/she is a sinner and then becomes a believer.  

I cor 14:24 But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is *prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be *judged by all,

*Prophesying meaning making sense, telling the truth so that others understand,  as opposed to speaking in tongues, babbling and not making sense to others.  

*"judged by all", inherently or indirectly by comparison to the truth that we should "Love our enemies" and "Love our neighbors as ourselves"

Romans 7:18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing.
06-23-2011, 10:24 AM
If we say we love everyone we are actually saying we love no one, because love is special, it is not something you give to your friend and enemy alike. Therefore love must be more than one thing. God is Love but love is not God.
06-23-2011, 12:54 PM
SouthernBapt2 Wrote:If we say we love everyone we are actually saying we love no one, because love is special, it is not something you give to your friend and enemy alike.

It's hard to do sometimes that's why there is a reward attached to it.  You never really realize how much you suck until you try to love someone you don't really care about, or who can do nothing for you in return.  Homeless begger on the street or whoever.

Luke 6:32 "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them.
  :33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that.
  :34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full.
  :35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked."