Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teachings? Instructions? Oral Law?
Isaiah 24:5, “For the earth was defiled under its inhabitants; because they transgressed teachings, violated laws, broke the ancient covenant.” (JPS)

Leviticus 26:46, “These are the laws, rules, and instructions that the Lord established, through Moses on Mount Sinai, between Himself and the Israelite people.” (JPS)

Exodus 18:20, “And enjoin upon them the laws and the teachings, and make known to them the way they are to go and the practices they are to follow.” (JPS)

Exodus 18:16, “When they have a dispute, it comes before me, and I decide between one person and another, and I make known the laws and teachings of God.” (JPS)

Genesis 26:5, “Inasmuch as Abraham obeyed Me and kept My charge: My commandments, My laws, and My teachings.” (JPS)

Avraham kept teachings? What teachings? Ah, of course the Oral Law.

Avraham the Jew
(01-02-2012, 11:15 PM)Avraham Wrote: Avraham kept teachings? What teachings? Ah, of course the Oral Law.
Ah, if all Torah was spoken by G-d, which part was not oral?
[/quote]
Ah, if all Torah was spoken by G-d, which part was not oral?
[/quote]

You've heard of the Tablet's correct? Written by "the finger" of G-D. But your pint, even if facetious, is well taken. G-D Himself told us certain things we did not write down. We call that the Oral Law.

One example of many

Exodus 12:2, “This month shall mark for you the beginning of the months; it shall be the first of the months of the year for you.” (JPS)

Which month? The Written Torah doesn’t state the month; it expects you to know this from the Oral Torah. Nisan is the first month. This also demonstrates that the months were already known outside of the Written Torah as well.

The Written Torah cannot be understood without the Oral Torah. Jesus knew this and on more tha one occasion quoted it. KJV Mark 2:25-26 Deny the Oral Law if Christians want but it is the reason they pervert the Tanach.

Avraham the Jew
(01-03-2012, 08:04 AM)Avraham Wrote: The Written Torah cannot be understood without the Oral Torah. Jesus knew this and on more tha one occasion quoted it. KJV Mark 2:25-26 Deny the Oral Law if Christians want but it is the reason they pervert the Tanach.

Avraham the Jew
And vice versa

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteous acts are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away." Isaiah 64:6

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

History doesn't repeat itself but it sure does rhyme
Avraham Wrote: The Written Torah cannot be understood without the Oral Torah. Jesus knew this and on more tha one occasion quoted it. KJV Mark 2:25-26 Deny the Oral Law if Christians want but it is the reason they pervert the Tanach.

Avraham the Jew

Elvis:

Avraham are you quoting Jesus? I thought that was forbidden?

Why do you know the NT so well?

When you want to, you say the NT about Yeshua is wrong!

When you related the song of "Georgie Porgy" the mangod I lost all respect for you!

How cruel a thing to say about a Jewish Rabbi !

Signed Disappointed

"Avraham are you quoting Jesus? I thought that was forbidden?"

By whom?

"Why do you know the NT so well?"

Read my post on the subject. The short version is I studied out of self defense. You complaining that I know it? we can't take your word for it.

"When you want to, you say the NT about Yeshua is wrong!"

Context please? that's important.

"When you related the song of "Georgie Porgy" the mangod I lost all respect for you!"

"Love your enemy"

"How cruel a thing to say about a Jewish Rabbi !"

I thought he was a god? Why the demotion?

"Signed Disappointed"

Disappointed, Disappointed, you have no complaint, you are what you are and you aint what you aint, so quit whining about Avraham and give it a rest, try learning scripture and doing your best.

Signed,

Avraham the Jew

[/quote]And vice versa

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteous acts are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away." Isaiah 64:6

The subject is the Oral Law. which you reject. i'm sorry but you response makes no sense.

Deny the Oral Law if Christians want but it is the reason they pervert the Tanach.

Avraham the Jew

(01-03-2012, 09:28 AM)elvispelvis888 Wrote: Avraham Wrote: The Written Torah cannot be understood without the Oral Torah. Jesus knew this and on more tha one occasion quoted it. KJV Mark 2:25-26 Deny the Oral Law if Christians want but it is the reason they pervert the Tanach.

Avraham the Jew

Elvis:

Why do you know the NT so well?

He doesn't. As evidenced by his many other posts that often "quote" scripture using the NIV. Yeah, the NIV! Who uses a paraphrase edition to quote biblical scripture??? Seriously.Somebody needs to do a google search of "paraphrase bibles" to see what a huge mistake that is! Tongue (Not to mention a comical one.) Big GrinTongue There isn't a literal chapter in that whole book, even the 15 authors of it admit to that...(((LOL!!!)))

When you related the song of "Georgie Porgy" the mangod I lost all respect for you!
Personally, I honor his right to have his opinion, but you are right, respect must be earned, and his constant ridiculing of his fellow forum members' beliefs is both reproachful and arrogant.

Signed Disappointed

That's putting it mildly, and your restraint is admirable, but yes, I agree.

"He doesn't. As evidenced by his many other posts that often "quote" scripture using the NIV. Yeah, the NIV! Who uses a paraphrase edition to quote biblical scripture???"

Hebrew is a Semitic language. Unlike Latin and Greek which belong to the Indo-European Family, it requires a "paraphrase" to be understood.

"Seriously.Somebody needs to do a google search of "paraphrase bibles""

Perhaps a search on language families would be more useful.

Avraham the Jew

Guys,

Do yourselves a favor and google "paraphrase bible", especially if you're one of the poor unfortunate souls who is using a biblical “equivalent” , which is what the following are categorized by: NIV, Living Bible, New Living Bible, The Message, The Clear Word, etc........all paraphrase bibles, not literal. Not even almost. There are plenty of literal translations available if you want less conjecture and more accuracy. NIV is among the worst offenders. A paraphrase bible should not be used as anyone's primary bible. We have to remember that a paraphrase is what the author thinks the bible says, not necessarily what it really says. A paraphrase bible should not be viewed as "the Bible", but rather as an author’s idea of what the bible says and what they think it means by what it says. In the case of the NIV, it completely omits 17 bible verses altogether, and leaves out whole sections of almost 45 others--check it out for yourselves, but if you're feeling lazy, just look at the list here in our JFJ forum: (http://forums.jewsforjesus.org/thread-4402.html). Do a side by side comparison with the NIV and a literal translation like KJV or NASB, and you'll see for yourself.
Whatever you do, don't try to use the NIV as a source for quoting scripture as some are mistakenly doing here. Use a literal translation for that, please. At least the readers here might then possibly consider taking your input seriously. Just sayin'.

"There are plenty of literal translations available if you want less conjecture and more accuracy."

Excellent! Give me a literal translation of;

רֵאשִׁית, בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים, אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם, וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ

Psalms 103:8; “The LORD is compassionate and gracious, Slow to anger, abounding in love”

Anger is actually the Hebrew word אף (awph) which literally means “nose”. If the translator literally translated the above passage “slow to nose”, it would make no sense to the English reader.

Here is the KJV which you seem to fancy;

Psalms 29.9. The NASB and KJV translates it as "The voice of the LORD makes the deer to calve" while the NIV translates it as "The voice of the LORD twists the oaks". The literal translation of this verse in Hebrew thought would be; "The voice of the LORD makes the strong leaders turn".

I would be happy to use the original autographs of the New Testament. Where are they?

Avraham the Jew