Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Some On Here, Naming Names
The Bible presents a God who did not need to create any beings to experience love, communion and fellowship. This God is complete in Himself, being three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, separate and distinct, yet at the same time eternally one God. They loved and communed and fellowshipped with each other and took counsel together before the universe, angels or man were brought into existence. Isaiah "heard the voice of the Lord [in eternity past] saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" (Is 6:8). Moses revealed the same counseling together of the Godhead: "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness"; and again, "Let us go down, and there confound their language" (Genesis 1:26;11:7). Who is this "us" if God is a single entity? Why does God say, "The man is become as one of us" (Gen 3:22)?

Moreover, if God is a single Being, then why is the plural Hebrew noun elohim (literally "gods") used for God repeatedly? In fact, this plural noun is in the center of Israel's famous confession of the oneness of God! The Shema declares, "Hear, O Israel, The Lord our God is one Lord" (Dt 6:4; Mk 12:29). In the Hebrew it reads, "Jehovah our elohim [gods] is one [echad] Jehovah." The Hebrew word echad allows for a unity of more than one. For example, it is used in Genesis 2:24 where man and woman become one flesh; in Exodus 36:13 when the various parts "became one tabernacle"; in 2 Samuel 2:25 when many soldiers "became one troop"; and elsewhere.

Nor is the word elohim the only way in which God's plurality is presented. For example: Psalm 149:2, "Let Israel rejoice in him that made him" (literally "makers"); Ecclesiastes 12:1, "Remember now thy Creator (lit. "creators"); and Isaiah 54:5, "For thy Maker is thine husband (lit. "makers, husbands"). Unitarianism has no explanation for this consistent presentation of God's plurality all through the Old Testament.  

The Hebrew word elohim (gods) occurs about 2,500 times in the Old Testament, while the singular form occurs only 250 times and most of those designate false gods. Genesis 1:1 reads, "In the beginning, elohim created the heaven and the earth"; i.e., literally, "gods created the heaven and the earth." Though a single noun is available, yet the plural form is consistently used for God. And in violation of grammatical rules, with few exceptions, singular verbs and pronouns are used with this plural noun. Why?

At the burning bush it was elohim (gods) who spoke to Moses. Yet elohim did not say, "We are that we are," but "I AM THAT I AM" (Ex 3:14). One cannot escape the fact that, all through the Bible, God is presented as a plurality and yet as One, as having both diversity and unity. This is unique among all the world's religions! To reject the Trinity is to reject the God of the Bible.
The Old Testament also presents three Persons in the Godhead interacting. For example: "Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last. Mine hand also hath laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand hath spanned the heavens....From the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord God, and his Spirit, hath sent me" (Is 48:12-16). The One speaking through Isaiah refers to Himself as "the first and the last" and the Creator of all, so He must be God. But He speaks of two others in the same passage who must also be God: "the Lord God, and his Spirit, hath sent me." Jesus presented a similar passage to the Pharisees (Mt 22:41-46) when He asked them who the Messiah was, and they said, "The Son of David." He then quoted, "The Lord said unto my Lord, sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool" (Ps 110:1). Then Jesus asked them, "If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?" The Pharisees were speechless. Unitarianism cannot explain these two "Lords."

It is a mystery how God can exist in three Persons yet be one God; but it is also a mystery how God could have no beginning and create everything out of nothing. We can't understand what a human soul or spirit is. Nor can we explain love or beauty or justice. It is beyond human capacity to comprehend the full nature of God's being. But neither can we understand what it means for us or anything else to exist nor can we comprehend what space is or what time is or matter is. For every door science opens, there are ten more unopened doors on the other side. The more we learn, the more rapidly the unknown expands before us like receding images in a hall of mirrors. Unitarians argue that because the Trinity can't be understood it can't be. But the fact that it is beyond human comprehension is no reason for rejecting what the Bible so consistently presents to us. God is telling us about Himself so we can believe in and know Him. We dare not reject what He says or lower it to the level of our finite minds.
"Is the word adonav singular or plural?"

It is the plural, meaning "his masters", according to my Hebrew grammar.  But why is it not pronounced adonaiv?  Singular would seem to be adonov.

"Is it because the person referred to is similar to God and is essentially a plurality?"

Since it is referring to Abraham, the question is, why is it plural?  You must have an answer, but my guess is that it refers to the fact that the servant had collective masters, which included Isaac (see Genesis 24:65), and that he was swearing with the hand under both masters in a sense.  My grammar book says that the difference between "my master" and "my masters" is in the vowel marking, but those markings are not in the original, were they?
How interesting that you were a JW.  My mother became a witness about 5 years before I was born so that was all I ever knew. I also believed that there was no trinity.  After all, if the Holy Spirit was God's Active Force, then there could be no third person of the trinity.  I heard a sermon at church on Sunday that happened to speak about the Holy Spirit.  The pastor mentioned that there is a 'cult' (he didn't mention their name) which espoused that the Holy Spirit is akin to electricity.  He pointed out verses in the Bible where the Holy Spirit is grieved, lied to, speaks, and obviously expresses emotion.  He went on to state that the temple is your body and that the Holy Spirit dwells within.  This is important because the same principle of denying God's Holy spirit is used to deny the spirit in man.  When we die it is said that the electricity simply shuts off, and like R2D2 from Star Wars, we stop functioning.  That is unless you've had a near death experience and you know differently.  

I was looking up on a website about people who have almost died and there was a list of true stories by people telling their experiences.  The 11th one from the top was written by a woman called Haydee Cortes, an ex-Jehovah's Witness, who tells of a frightening experience she had when she almost died.  She experienced a blackness and an utter separation from God. She prayed to God to please let her live and she declared that she believed in Him only and she came to.  She states that the deception of the watchtower is something she has since come out of and that it is highly important for these people to know that it isn't over at death.  We have a spirit and it moves on. I cannot fully relate the importance of having as many JW's read this experience as possible. The link for the site is http://bibleprobe.com/nde.htm

I'm currently in the process of starting a blog, which I hope to fill with articles lining up the watchtower doctrine with Biblical truth.  Since becoming ill I spend almost all my time reading the Bible and studying all things scriptural.  It is so important for Jehovah's Witnesses to learn about their Savior, Jesus Christ.
[quote]Remember what it says in the verse in 1Cor 6:11
But you were washed.
But you were sanctified.
But you were justified in the name of the Lord Yeshua, AND IN THE SPIRIT OF OUR GOD .[/quote

How very very beautiful!  Thank you.  
A Christian is someone who has decided to entrust his or her life to Yeshua Christ. A Christian trusts Christ for forgiveness of sin, a right standing before God, and guidance in life.

Christian's are sometimes referred to as "born again" because Jesus said that one must be born of the water (the physical birth) and the Spirit:

John 3:3-7 Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of G-d." 4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?" 5 Yeshua answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of G-d. 6 "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 "Do not be amazed that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'

To be born again--born of the Spirit--a person must place his or her trust in Jesus Christ (See How does one become a Christian?. The Spirit of Jesus Christ actually comes to dwell within the new Christian, giving newness of life--His life.

In sum, Christ makes a Christian a Christian. Going to a denominational, or any church ,does not make a person a Christian. A special ceremony can't do it. And nobody can be a Christian by trying to be a good person. Only Jesus Christ can make a person a Christian:

John 1:12,13 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of G-d, even to those who believe in His name, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of G-d.I think we are all at least7% wrong, but Yeshua is never wrong, and it is by grace we are saved by faith, and not of works, lest any man boast.It is grace that begins us and grace that ends us, and the rest is left inbetween!I like Christmas!I celebrate ;Grace, and the good that is brought to this world from Heaven to conquer the evil day; Our Lord Yeshua; blessings
YehudiahOfYeshua Wrote:4. There is nothing wrong with celebrating Christmas and Easter if they are not meant as a pagan celebration or mix of Messianic Judaism and paganism. Read Romans 14.

But christmas and easter, halloween too, were meant as a pagan celebration, and that's the point. Do you believe that if someone wants to dilute it down by removing the worship of a tree or belief in santa claus or st. nicholas and say it's just a "chocolate" bunny, "but I dress my kids up like a doctor on halloween" that it would then remove the pagan root? Of course not.

Romans 14 is specifically about 'judging your brother' (Romans 14:10). But read Romans 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

And that's what speaking out against a christmas tree, santa claus, easter and halloween is, a judgment that these are stumbling-block's placed in our brother's way and are occasions to fall.

Where does it say in the Bible that there is nothing wrong with celebrating celebration's if they are a mix of Messianic Judaism and paganism? Show me a pagan holiday that was celebrated by the Apostles that wasn't meant as a pagan celebration and mix of Messianic Judaism.

Why is it that mainline denominations do not keep these feasts and festivals found within the Bible? If you go by what you know, these three including Communion were celebrated.

The Passover (aka- The Feast of Unleavened Bread)
Matthew 26:17-21 & Luke 22:1

Hanukkah (aka-The Feast of Dedication)
John 10:22-23

Sukkot (aka-The Feast of Tabernacles, The Feast of Booths)
John 7:2-14

Anja Andreas Wrote:To me Paul his message in Rom 14:1-6 is not to become a stumblingblock to your brother by forcing the jewish tradition on your brother shoulder who come out of the gentiles.
But we all have to remember what Paul says in Rom15:1-13,did you read this ?

Where did I ever say I would force a Jewish tradition on my brother? Those are your words not mine. I can most certainly judge a pagan holiday without judging my brother. Unless you simply misunderstood me, I can see. But this adding and twisting of words I would expect from mainline Christian denominations.

"But he that is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is judged of no man."
1 Corinthians 2:15

"I speak as to wise men; judge you what I say" (1 Corinthians 10:15).

The Lord Jesus Christ commended Simon in Luke 7:43 for "judging" and Jesus Christ said Simon was "right" for judging:

"And he said unto him, You have rightly judged" (Luke 7:43)

So I do judge holiday's and for good reason, they never show up in the Bible, and they're stumbling-blocks.
Magdalena Wrote:Anaj says : for many years i have let men decide what i could or not could celebrate ,but now God spirit in me will guide me in his truth.
Only his Holy spirit is the truth.
That is why Yeshua says in Yoch14:16 I will pray to the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, that he may be with you forever,— 14:17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world can’t receive; for it doesn’t see him, neither knows him. You know him, for he lives with you, and will be in you. 14:18 I will not leave you orphans. I will come to you. 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world will see me no more; but you will see me. Because I live, you will live also. 14:20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 14:21 One who has my commandments, and keeps them, that person is one who loves me. One who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him, and will reveal myself to him.”

If you like to celebrate Christmas because of the grace and the good that is brought to this world from heaven then it is you who are free to do so and we must not judge you over this.

The same way i do not judge any one who does not celebrate his birthday or Christmas day .

To me one day or another day is the same .
All days to me are christmas days ,and all days to me are new birthdays .
For through him i received a new live so no longer i belong to my self but I am reborn of the spirit every day ,it is a proces of the holy spirit ....it is Gods work inside me who gave me a new heart .
It is what it says in Philp 2:13 For it is God who works in you both to will and to work, for his good pleasure. 2:14 Do all things without murmurings and disputes, 2:15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you are seen as lights in the world, 2:16 holding up the word of life; that I may have something to boast in the day of Messiah, that I didn’t run in vain nor labor in vain. 2:17 Yes, and if I am poured out on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice, and rejoice with you all. 2:18 In the same way, you also rejoice, and rejoice with me.

Shalom Anja
To myself, G-d took a man lost in the paganism of mortality and changed me, and filled me with His righteousness, and Holy Spirit within me. How much easier is it for G-d to take a pagan day and turn it into His Righteousness and Glory. Shalom-Happy Hanukkah!Merry Christmas!
@cor517]

Words and especially the order of words play an exceptionally important role in the Bible. OK! I've said something you probably already know.

Please note the words "foreknow" and "also" in the sentence "whom he did foreknow he also . . ." God who is not bound by time and space sees and hears everything at once in a single moment. Whatever you and I had said, thought and done ten or twenty years ago and everything you and I will be saying, thinking and doing ten or twenty years from now, He sees and hears in an instant. With Him there is no such thing as past, present and future in his eternal realm. That is precisely why He alone can say "I AM." The best we can do is to say "yesterday I was, today I am and tomorrow I will be."

Having said this, one can understand more clearly how He could have foreknown how every single person who had ever lived and shall live on the earth would react to his Gospel, even before the foundation of the earth. Those whom He knew beforehand would react in faith to his Gospel and be saved he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son. it is clear that predestination does not refer to salvation here but to sanctification.

Let's look at this more closely in the light of an example. God knew beforehand that Saul of Tarsus would react in faith to his Gospel and be saved and therefore He could predestine (choose) him from his mother's womb to be one of his disciples who would suffer many trials and tribulations in his behalf. Calvinists just love to refer to Paul's experience on his way to Damascus as an example of God's sovereign and monergistic salvation without him having to believe the Gospel. How was Paul saved? Was he saved when he fell off his horse into the dust? Maybe we can look at this some time a little later or you may be interested to give us an answer sooner.