Bible Options Bible Study Software
Hi, I have a question about Jews for Jesus
I sent an email but never got an answer so thought I'd ask the question here. I've searched the website but couldn't find a definite answer, or else have just missed it somehow. Anyway, what I'd like to know for sure is if Jews for Jesus teaches that Jesus is God. I'm not asking what individuals here believe, but rather what the official teaching of Jews for Jesus is. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

A little about me: My name is Cindy and I have been saved for many years now and have my own website, Fresh-Hope.com. One of my members asked about this question in general saying that they'd heard that most Jewish people who do believe in Jesus, don't believe He is God. I was pretty sure that Jews for Jesus teaches that He is God, but thought it would be a good idea to check and find out for sure.
Shalom, Cindy, and welcome to the Jews for Jesus Forums! We're delighted to have you adding your comments.

Yes, Jews for Jesus believes that Jesus (Y'shua) is God, the Son of God, and the Messiah about whom the prophets spoke.

You can read about our beliefs by clicking on the "Answers" tab, then clicking on "Theological Issues," and then clicking on "How can God become a man?" There you will also see an article about "The Deity of Jesus Christ" and more.

Also go to the "About" tab and click on "Who we are," then "Statement of Faith."

Thanks again for participating in our Forums!

God bless you,
Moderator MAlan

(02-17-2012, 07:18 AM)MAlan Wrote: Shalom, Cindy, and welcome to the Jews for Jesus Forums! We're delighted to have you adding your comments.

Yes, Jews for Jesus believes that Jesus (Y'shua) is God, the Son of God, and the Messiah about whom the prophets spoke.

You can read about our beliefs by clicking on the "Answers" tab, then clicking on "Theological Issues," and then clicking on "How can God become a man?" There you will also see an article about "The Deity of Jesus Christ" and more.

Also go to the "About" tab and click on "Who we are," then "Statement of Faith."

Thanks again for participating in our Forums!

God bless you,
Moderator MAlan

Thank you! I knew I must have missed it somewhere!
Greetings, Cindy! Welcome to JFJ! Big Grin
Welcome aboard Cindy. Enjoy the trip. Cool site I have one too www. hope7.highpowersites.com Its my testimony. I hope you ask more questions, we all learn that way. God bless you.
(02-17-2012, 07:18 AM)MAlan Wrote: Yes, Jews for Jesus believes that Jesus (Y'shua) is God, the Son of God, and the Messiah about whom the prophets spoke.

How is this different then a Oneness? This is the Trinity, the God head you are describing? It sounds so similar to Oneness.

On the one side, it is as if God goes into Jesus and is now Y'sua, then in spirit form is the Holy Spirit. Then God the Father.

On the other hand, the way you describe it is as if God split himself into three. Or takes on three different roles all by different names. God, the Holy Spirit, and Jesus.
The following is from the Jews for Jesus 'Statement of Faith,' which you can find in this Web site's section called "About":

"...We believe in one sovereign God, existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, perfect in holiness, infinite in wisdom, unbounded in power and measureless in love; that God is the source of all creation and that through the immediate exercise of His power all things came into being.

"We believe that God the Father is the author of eternal salvation, having loved the world and given His Son for its redemption.

"We believe that Jesus the Messiah was eternally pre-existent and is co-equal with God the Father; that He took on Himself the nature of man through the virgin birth so that He possesses both divine and human natures.

"We believe in His sinless life and perfect obedience to the Law; in His atoning death, burial, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, high-priestly intercession and His personal return in power and glory.

"We believe that the Holy Spirit is co-equal and co-eternal with the Father and the Son; that He was active in the creation of all things and continues to be so in providence; that He convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgment, and that He regenerates, sanctifies, baptizes, indwells, seals, illumines, guides and bestows His gifts upon all believers..."

You can read the entire Statement of Faith at http://www.jewsforjesus.org/about/who-we...entoffaith
(09-26-2012, 08:49 AM)MAlan Wrote: The following is from the Jews for Jesus 'Statement of Faith,' which you can find in this Web site's section called "About":

"...We believe in one sovereign God, existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, perfect in holiness, infinite in wisdom, unbounded in power and measureless in love; that God is the source of all creation and that through the immediate exercise of His power all things came into being.

"We believe that God the Father is the author of eternal salvation, having loved the world and given His Son for its redemption.

"We believe that Jesus the Messiah was eternally pre-existent and is co-equal with God the Father; that He took on Himself the nature of man through the virgin birth so that He possesses both divine and human natures.

"We believe in His sinless life and perfect obedience to the Law; in His atoning death, burial, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, high-priestly intercession and His personal return in power and glory.

"We believe that the Holy Spirit is co-equal and co-eternal with the Father and the Son; that He was active in the creation of all things and continues to be so in providence; that He convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgment, and that He regenerates, sanctifies, baptizes, indwells, seals, illumines, guides and bestows His gifts upon all believers..."

You can read the entire Statement of Faith at http://www.jewsforjesus.org/about/who-we...entoffaith

Thank you, I've read all of this.

I'm just wondering how then do you call Jesus God since he was made co-equal by the Father?

Is it by the one account where Apostle Thomas calls Jesus Lord and my God?
Jesus was not "made co-equal by the Father." He "was eternally pre-existent and is co-equal with God the Father."

"In the beginning was the Word [Jesus], and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The Same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him, and without Him was not any thing made that was made." -- John 1:1-3

See also John 1:14 ("the Word became flesh and lived among us"), Colossians 2:9 ("for in Him [Jesus] dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily") -- also John 8:58 ("Before Abraham was, I am"), Hebrews 1:8 ("But to the Son He says, 'Your throne, O God, is forever'..."). And other verses.
(09-26-2012, 02:05 PM)MAlan Wrote: Jesus was not "made co-equal by the Father." He "was eternally pre-existent and is co-equal with God the Father."

"In the beginning was the Word [Jesus], and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The Same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him, and without Him was not any thing made that was made." -- John 1:1-3

See also John 1:14 ("the Word became flesh and lived among us"), Colossians 2:9 ("for in Him [Jesus] dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily") -- also John 8:58 ("Before Abraham was, I am"), Hebrews 1:8 ("But to the Son He says, 'Your throne, O God, is forever'..."). And other verses.

Correct, my point is it was Christ who thought it not robbery to be equal with the Father, not the other way around. So "made" is in the sense of 1 Corinthians 15:45

"And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit."

When I read the scripture the question then becomes who made who? Who is the one who gave who a name higher than all names? It was the Father. Who is in the bosom of whom? Christ is in the bosom of the Father. Since Christ is the Son, I wouldn't refer to the Son as God. Especially since it wasn't Christ himself who never said such a thing.

I would refer to the Father as God his Son as Christ and they are equal because it is the will of the Father. But still there is rank because Christ is in the bosom of the Father and sits at the right hand of God. So the Father is God and Christ is the Son of the Father. This seems more in line with what Apostle Peter claimed when Jesus asked him and what Jesus said about who he himself is.