Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking in Tongues
How does a Jewish Believer respond to the doctrine of "Speaking in Tongues" that we see now?  
Talit1 Wrote:How does a Jewish Believer respond to the doctrine of "Speaking in Tongues" that we see now?  

I am not one born Jewish although this gift was given to the early ecclesia at Pentecost.

Act 2:1  Now when the day of Pentecost had come, they were all with one accord in one place.
Act 2:2  Suddenly there came from the sky a sound like the rushing of a mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3  Tongues like fire appeared and were distributed to them, and one sat on each of them.
Act 2:4  They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other languages, as the Spirit gave them the ability to speak.

Speaking with other languages was not as important as other gifts as shown below.

1Co 12:28  God has set some in the assembly: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracle workers, then gifts of healing, helps, governments, and various kinds of languages.
1Co 12:29  Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all miracle workers?
1Co 12:30  Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak with various languages? Do all interpret?

It seems that certain of the gifts no longer were necessary after the apostles died as they were the ones given the authority to pass them on, being supplanted by the fruits of the Spirit, developed through knowledge, faith and obedience.

1Co 13:8  Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will be done away with. Where there are various languages, they will cease. Where there is knowledge, it will be done away with.

Paul shows his thoughts on the gift of speaking in tongues...

1Co 14:2  For he who speaks in another language speaks not to men, but to God; for no one understands; but in the Spirit he speaks mysteries.
1Co 14:3  But he who prophesies speaks to men for their edification, exhortation, and consolation.
1Co 14:4  He who speaks in another language edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the assembly.
1Co 14:5  Now I desire to have you all speak with other languages, but rather that you would prophesy. For he is greater who prophesies than he who speaks with other languages, unless he interprets, that the assembly may be built up.
1Co 14:6  But now, brothers, if I come to you speaking with other languages, what would I profit you, unless I speak to you either by way of revelation, or of knowledge, or of prophesying, or of teaching?
1Co 14:7  Even things without life, giving a voice, whether pipe or harp, if they didn't give a distinction in the sounds, how would it be known what is piped or harped?
1Co 14:8  For if the trumpet gave an uncertain sound, who would prepare himself for war?
1Co 14:9  So also you, unless you uttered by the tongue words easy to understand, how would it be known what is spoken? For you would be speaking into the air.
1Co 14:10  There are, it may be, so many kinds of sounds in the world, and none of them is without meaning.
1Co 14:11  If then I don't know the meaning of the sound, I would be to him who speaks a foreigner, and he who speaks would be a foreigner to me.

It seems (in my opinion) much of the present instances of speaking in tongues is of Satanic origin being much more for show than for any practical purpose in these days.

I'd like to point out that some believe that everyone must have this gift (Speaking in tongues) but as our good friend one_called pointed out:

1 Co 12:30  Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak with various languages? Do all interpret?

The obvious answer is - NO!

Isaiah 28:11-12 (New King James Version)
For with stammering lips and another tongue
He will speak to this people,
To whom He said, “This is the rest with which
You may cause the weary to rest,”
And, “This is the refreshing”;
Yet they would not hear.

In other words:

1 Corinthians 14:21 (New International Version)
In the Law it is written:
"Through men of strange tongues
and through the lips of foreigners
I will speak to this people,
but even then they will not listen to me," says the Lord.
one_called Wrote:[quote=Talit1]

It seems (in my opinion) much of the present instances of speaking in tongues is of Satanic origin being much more for show than for any practical purpose in these days.

Acts 2:38
[/b]Then Peter said unto them, Repent and be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 [b] For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off,even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

"Afar off" means down to the present day
Before you say it doesn't say anything about tongues....that is implied since the same Holy Ghost that filled the apostles filled the Jews that Peter talked to upon their repentance and baptism and they spoke in tongues as the Spirit gave utterance.
Cornelius recieved his tongues before baptism so that Peter would know that God was also evtending this gift to Gentiles.
  If you don't have the evidence of other tongues you don't have the Holy Ghost since that is a sign of the infilling.

Calling a Gift of God something for the pit of hell is either foolhardy or very stupid....and I don't believe your stupid..

Having eyes to see they will not see...Having ears to hear they will not hear  
one_called Wrote:It seems that certain of the gifts no longer were necessary after the apostles died as they were the ones given the authority to pass them on, being supplanted by the fruits of the Spirit, developed through knowledge, faith and obedience.

1Co 13:8  Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will be done away with. Where there are various languages, they will cease. Where there is knowledge, it will be done away with.

The apostles were given no authority to pass on the gifts of the Spirit...It is Christ who baptizes in the Holy Spirit...

It was John the Baptist or the disciples who baptized in water..It was ONLY Christ who baptized in the Holy Spirit and distributed gifts to all men..
Joh 4:1  Jesus knew that the Pharisees had heard that he was making and baptizing more disciples than John.
Joh 4:2  (Actually, Jesus was not baptizing people. His disciples were.)

Mat 3:11  "I baptize you with water, for repentance, but the one coming after me is more powerful than I am — I am not worthy to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Act 2:3  And tongues as of fire appeared to them, being distributed; and it sat upon each of them.
Act 2:4  And they were all filled of the Holy Spirit, and began to speak in other languages, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Jam 1:17  Every good and perfect gift comes down from the Father who created all the lights in the heavens. He is always the same and never makes dark shadows by changing.

Eph 4:7  Christ has generously divided out his gifts to us.
Eph 4:8  As the Scriptures say, "When he went up to the highest place, he led away many prisoners and gave gifts to people."

1Co 1:14  I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius,
1Co 1:15  so that no one can say that you were baptized in my name!
1Co 1:16  (I also baptized the household of Stephanus. Otherwise, I do not remember whether I baptized anyone else.)
1Co 1:17  For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel — and not with clever speech, so that the cross of Christ would not become useless.( baptism in water) The apostle was sent to preach the gospel..

Has knowledge ceased??

Dan 12:4  But you, O Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, even to the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

1Co 13:9  Our knowledge is incomplete and our ability to speak what God has revealed is incomplete.
1Co 13:10  But when what is complete comes, then what is incomplete will no longer be used.

Has that which is complete come ?

misylea Wrote:The apostles were given no authority to pass on the gifts of the Spirit...It is Christ who baptizes in the Holy Spirit...
[color=blue]Last I looked Peter was given the keys of heaven that whatsoever he loosed on earth would be loosed in heaven and whatever was bound in heaven would be loosed on earth sounds like authority to me since more than just the diciples spoke in tongues i.e. eunuch,conrnelius' family and others

It was John the Baptist or the disciples who baptized in water..It was ONLY Christ who baptized in the Holy Spirit and distributed gifts to all men..
  Cornelius got the Holy Ghost prior to water baptism but was still baptised in water....Eunuch got Holy Ghost after repetance and water baptism...After Peter told people how to be saved 5,000 repented,were baptised in water and recieved the Holy Ghost....
Try reading the Book of Acts...Paul said he was glad he didn't baptise any except for the two he mentioned because there was contention in the church of people they were of Apollos and others...read it people still weere baptised by immersion in water and had to repent..Paul never countered anything that Peter said on the day of Pentecost.

Having eyes to see they will not see..having ears to hear they will not hear    
No arguement there Prophet....Who is authorized to baptize in the Holy Spirit?? I'm not speaking of water ...In the Holy Spirit and who is Authorized to give gifts???  That is my only point here...Do you have scriptures to point to someone other than Christ who baptizes in the Holy Spirit and gives the gift of tongues etc.. Please post...
   Yes we usually  all  get baptized in water although it's not essential but repentence however is and we need to repent BEFORE we are baptized either in the Holy Ghost or water .... After repentence it doesn't matter what order the other two come...
misylea Wrote:No arguement there Prophet....Who is authorized to baptize in the Holy Spirit?? I'm not speaking of water ...In the Holy Spirit and who is Authorized to give gifts???  That is my only point here...Do you have scriptures to point to someone other than Christ who baptizes in the Holy Spirit and gives the gift of tongues etc.. Please post...
   Yes we usually  all  get baptized in water although it's not essential but repentence however is and we need to repent BEFORE we are baptized either in the Holy Ghost or water .... After repentence it doesn't matter what order the other two come...
infilling of the Holy Ghost evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Holy Spirit gives utterance (Joel)..The Holy Spirit is Jesus in us and as we grow in holiness and He works in us the gifts are given. Tongues are used in services in order and are subject to the prophet(the one speaking).  Some people get filled before baptism,some after but water baptism is essential because we have to be buried with Christ in baptism.
The Holy Ghost indwells His people

Having eyes to see they will not see, Having ears to hear they will not hear.  
I can only give my experience, as a new believer i wanted everything God had for me I didnt find the Lord until i was 27 and my marriage was going down the tubes i had grown up in a gentile household when fighting and abuse was a constant i had tried to do everything right so that i could have a happy home but everything was falling apart i prayed to God that if he was really up there he would have to do a miracle after several months of praying i was laying prostrate on my living room floor crying out to God that he hadnt answered my prayer His response was to go to that church(Pentecostal) that i had visited and get on my knees any give my life to Jesus and thats just what i did as i knelt there the man came over and layed his hands on me and prayed in tongues which at the time i didnt know what that was and i remember giving Jesus all the pain and hearache and broken dreams this world had ever given me and in that moment we made an exchange and as Paul had his experience on the road to Damascus so i did that day. well as i went on i kept hearing them talk about the gifts of the Holy Spirit and not really having been indoctrinated by any specific church i began to read, pray and search for myself. if this was really something i needed to be a better christian i didnt want to leave anything out. i did receive the day i received water baptism i came up out of the water and raised my hands and began to thank him for all he had done for me and i felt this warmth go down my arms and what seemed like a churning in my belly and it wasnt fluent at first more like a groaning but they all told me that when i was home in my prayer closet just to speak it out like a toddler first speaking. well satan kept telling me i was making it up so i was really apprehensive until one night i was working the emergency room (im and xray technologist) i wasn't even thinking about God or anything like that they brought in this guy who had been stabbed in the chest and it had nicked his heart they had these balloon pressure pants on him to keep enough blood in this chest. i heard the doctor say there was no way they could get him to surgery in time this was in 1984. i was standing by the stretcher waiting for my turn to do the portable chest xray the guy was cussing sayin GD this and GD that and i in my self righteousness said there he goes cursing God the one person that could help him as i was waiting this guy reaches out and grabs my forearm the minute he does the Holy Spirit in me starts praying in tongues yes you dont even have to open your mouth i was shocked so i stood there as long as i could praying until i had to take the xray then i went and processed it i took it back his lungs were filling with blood i went to the nearest bathroom and got on my knees and let the Holy Spirit pray through me then i went back down there in case i was needed again as i was standing there i heard the two doctors talking and the one said i dont know what happened. the nurse had been calling out his blood pressure from the get go and now it was coming up boy was i freaked but from that day forward i knew who truly was in control of this gift i later went to witness to this guy who said he tried to see who it was because the minute he grabbed my arm he felt himself get stronger. we had set up to pick him up and take him to church when he left the hospital when my husband went to go get him he wasnt there how sad i thought but he could never deny there wasnt a God in heaven.i would encourage anyone serious about wanting everything God has for them to at least pray and be open to anything God has that will help them in their walk for Him. I always like to compare it to a plain car and then a car with turbo! only difference is one has more power! hope this helps someone.
clk41,

Are you Jewish as well?