Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does Messianic Judaism belive?
I am an Chinese evangelical Christian (gentile if you what to use that word). I understand Jews for Jesus is made up of Jews who become Christians. I can certian call you brothers and sisters.

Recently, I ran into some people who claimed to be Messianic Jews. That is ,their religious belief is Messianic Judaism.

According to one, she told me that they believe Jesus is the Messiah, but not God. Is this true? Others insist that there is no differences between Messianic Jews and evangelical Christianity.

Who is right?

Is Messianic Judaism a cult?

What do they belive?

I will appreciate any answer, especially if you can point to some solid reference.

Thanks,
YP CheungHuh
Welcome! We are glad to have you here in the Jews for Jesus Forums.

Some people who call themselves Messianic Jews do not believe that Jesus is God. Jews for Jesus believes that Jesus is God; in this web site, please click on "Answers," then on "Theological Issues," and then click on "How can God become a man?" to learn more about what we believe and why.

Also click on "About," then "Who we are," and then click on our "Statement of Faith."

In the search box at the top right of the home page, type in "messianic field guide," and you will find information about a Jews for Jesus book called "The Messianic Movement: A Field Guide for Evangelical Christians." I think you can download it in a PDF format, but it is also available for purchase in the "Store" section of this site. That book talks about the beliefs of Messianic Jewish groups and much more.

Speaking of this topic, here is a good summary of why we believe Jesus is God, from http://www.gotquestions.org:

Question: "Is Jesus God? Did Jesus ever claim to be God?"

Answer: Jesus is never recorded in the Bible as saying the precise words, “I am God.” That does not mean, however, that He did not proclaim that He is God. Take for example Jesus’ words in John 10:30, “I and the Father are one.” We need only to look at the Jews’ reaction to His statement to know He was claiming to be God. They tried to stone Him for this very reason. “… you, a mere man, claim to be God” (John 10:33). The Jews understood exactly what Jesus was claiming—deity. Notice that Jesus does not deny His claim to be God. When Jesus declared, “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30), He was saying that He and the Father are of one nature and essence. John 8:58 is another example. Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was born, I am!” The response of the Jews who heard this statement was to take up stones to kill Him for blasphemy, as the Mosaic Law commanded them to do (Leviticus 24:15).

John reiterates the concept of Jesus’ deity: “the Word was God” and “the Word became flesh” (John 1:1, 14). These verses clearly indicate that Jesus is God in the flesh. Acts 20:28 tells us, “Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.” Who bought the church—the church of God—with His own blood? Jesus Christ. Acts 20:28 declares that God purchased His church with His own blood. Therefore, Jesus is God!

Thomas the disciple declared concerning Jesus, “My Lord and my God” (John 20:28). Jesus does not correct him. Titus 2:13 encourages us to wait for the coming of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ (see also 2 Peter 1:1). In Hebrews 1:8, the Father declares of Jesus, “But about the Son He says, ’Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.’” The Father refers to Jesus as “O God” indicating that Jesus is indeed God.

In Revelation, an angel instructed the apostle John to only worship God (Revelation 19:10). Several times in Scripture Jesus receives worship (Matthew 2:11, 14:33, 28:9, 17; Luke 24:52; John 9:38). He never rebukes people for worshiping Him. If Jesus were not God, He would have told people to not worship Him, just as the angel in Revelation did. There are many other verses and passages of Scripture that argue for Jesus’ deity.

The most important reason that Jesus has to be God is that if He is not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for the sins of the world (1 John 2:2). A created being, which Jesus would be if He were not God, could not pay the infinite penalty required for sin against an infinite God. Only God could pay such an infinite penalty. Only God could take on the sins of the world (2 Corinthians 5:21), die, and be resurrected, proving His victory over sin and death.

Thanks so much for your interest, and God bless you!

Moderator MAlan

(03-05-2012, 12:25 PM)YP Cheung Wrote:  I am an Chinese evangelical Christian (gentile if you what to use that word). I understand Jews for Jesus is made up of Jews who become Christians. I can certian call you brothers and sisters.

Recently, I ran into some people who claimed to be Messianic Jews. That is ,their religious belief is Messianic Judaism.

According to one, she told me that they believe Jesus is the Messiah, but not God. Is this true? Others insist that there is no differences between Messianic Jews and evangelical Christianity.

Who is right?

Is Messianic Judaism a cult?

What do they belive?

I will appreciate any answer, especially if you can point to some solid reference.

Thanks,
YP CheungHuh

Although I'm not apart of the Jews for Jesus ministry directly, but I am Jewish. Well technically I'm an Israelite. As I don't trace back to the tribe of Judah. I would like to way in, if you care.

When you ask if Jesus is God, do you mean by God as in God the Father?

http://www.voe.org/store/manna-fest-tv-offers/bc-75-breaking-the-jewish-code-package
http://illustramedia.com
http://arkencounter.com
aclj.org
askdrbrown.org
caseyluskin.com
explorationfilms.com
hebrew4christians.com
jewishvoice.com
mcleanbible.org

Welcome, YP!

I am not a Messianic Jew either, but I have several friends here where I live who are. They do not believe in a trinity, do not celebrate xmas, easter, etc, but rather the holy days God commanded. I am assuming there must surely be different sects just as there are different sects of christians, muslims, jews, etc. I very much enjoy this board and the varying beliefs and ideas shared here. Please feel free to join in whenever and wherever you want. Smile
~Sandra~ I use Green's Interlinear Bible[Image: wave.gif]
I really appreciate all your answers.

First, I am NOT questioning whether "Jews for Jesus" believe Jesus is God. I am trying to inquire about the whole "Messianic Judaism" movement. I "Jews for Jesus" part of this movement?

I just get myself organized and I will post several questions here. I hope some of you will have the patience to answer me:

1. Can the term “Messianic Jew” apply to ALL people who are of Jewish in ethnicity and believe Jesus as their savior or messiah?

2. Are there different sects? What are the major sects?

3. Do you expect some sects’ beliefs closer to the original Judaism? Some close to evangelical Christianity? Some closer to the liberal Christians? Can you name them?

4. I get the impression that they call Jesus Yeshua. What is the reason?

5. Sandy said they do not believe in a trinity, do not celebrate xmas, easter, etc, but rather the holy days God commanded. Do you mean they still observe passover and circumcision? Is this true for all sects, or just some sects?

6. Is there any gentile (for example Chinese, Japanese, German etc.) consider themselves adherents of Messianic Judaism? Perhaps, you think there is no such a thing. If any gentiles want to believe in Jesus as God and savior, they are simply called Christians.

Thank you very much.
I don't have a lot of time so I will not respond to your research requests...

(03-07-2012, 10:50 PM)YP Cheung Wrote:  1. Can the term “Messianic Jew” apply to ALL people who are of Jewish in ethnicity and believe Jesus as their savior or messiah?

Yes bust as MAlan pointed out some who are Jewish may claim this title but may still not have recognized Jesus Christ as being God Almighty! You brushed this off earlier but this point changes everything!

(03-07-2012, 10:50 PM)YP Cheung Wrote:  2. Are there different sects? What are the major sects?

Technically you could have as many Messianic Judaism cults as you have in Christendom.

(03-07-2012, 10:50 PM)YP Cheung Wrote:  4. I get the impression that they call Jesus Yeshua. What is the reason?
Yeshua or Yahshuah is the Hebrew Name for Jesus. People like to hear it in the native tongue but its not the name or the translation as such but the person and meaning that counts. You do not need to know Hebrew to have access to the throne of grace.

(03-07-2012, 10:50 PM)YP Cheung Wrote:  5. Sandy said they do not believe in a trinity, do not celebrate xmas, easter, etc, but rather the holy days God commanded. Do you mean they still observe passover and circumcision? Is this true for all sects, or just some sects?
Majority of Messianic Jews are true Christians but there are some that trouble the gentiles over the meaning of words. There are biblical reasons why Messianic Jews observe certain feasts so as not to offend their Jewish brothers but these things are a shadow while in Christ you have the real thing!

(03-07-2012, 10:50 PM)YP Cheung Wrote:  6. Is there any gentile (for example Chinese, Japanese, German etc.) consider themselves adherents of Messianic Judaism? Perhaps, you think there is no such a thing. If any gentiles want to believe in Jesus as God and savior, they are simply called Christians.
There are many gentiles that consider themselves to be adherents of Messianic Judaism under some kind of Jewish leadership but I would not recommend this direction for a gentile.

Also in Christendom there are many cults that do not accept Jesus as GOD and still call themselves Christians. JW's is one example.

If you are intrigued by the Jewish roots of the Gospel and desire deeper revelations I would strongly advise you to visit Jews for Jesus online store and you will have a lot less filtering to do.

Jews for Jesus book store: Christian Book Store

And remember 1Co 7:18-21 (18) Was a man already circumcised when he was called? He should not become uncircumcised. Was a man uncircumcised when he was called? He should not be circumcised. (19) Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God’s commands is what counts.
Bible Teacher Blessed be the Name of יֵשׁוּעַ HaMashiach of Natsareth
(03-07-2012, 10:50 PM)YP Cheung Wrote:  First, I am NOT questioning whether "Jews for Jesus" believe Jesus is God. I am trying to inquire about the whole "Messianic Judaism" movement. I "Jews for Jesus" part of this movement?

I believe they are. Anyone of the blood line of Isaac who believes Christ to be their Lord and Savior is apart of the remnant spoken of by Apostle Paul.

I've read statements "Oh, the Messianic movement started in the 1960's" No it didn't, it started back when Christ walked the Earth. It's an ancient movement.

(03-07-2012, 10:50 PM)YP Cheung Wrote:  1. Can the term “Messianic Jew” apply to ALL people who are of Jewish in ethnicity and believe Jesus as their savior or messiah?

I believe so. Personally I don't mind Christian, Apostle Peter said if anyone suffer as a Christian let them not be ashamed. But if you think about it, Apostle Paul said: "For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin." and "Are they Hebrews? so am I. Are they Israelites? so am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? so am I."

They didn't have a specific term or catch word for an Israelite who believed in Jesus.

(03-07-2012, 10:50 PM)YP Cheung Wrote:  2. Are there different sects? What are the major sects?

Not up to now, I don't believe there are specific sects.

(03-07-2012, 10:50 PM)YP Cheung Wrote:  3. Do you expect some sects’ beliefs closer to the original Judaism? Some close to evangelical Christianity? Some closer to the liberal Christians? Can you name them?

I can't name sects, because Israelites who accept Christ don't have any. We all worship with one another even though are thoughts maybe different.

I can't say if these belief's are closer since I would have to know the difference of beliefs between Evangelical, Liberal Christians.

http://www.voe.org/store/manna-fest-tv-offers/bc-75-breaking-the-jewish-code-package
aclj.org
askdrbrown.org
caseyluskin.com
explorationfilms.com
hebrew4christians.com
jewishvoice.com
mcleanbible.org

(03-07-2012, 10:50 PM)YP Cheung Wrote:  4. I get the impression that they call Jesus Yeshua. What is the reason?

Yeshua means Salvation. Jesus means he will save his people from their sins. So Yeshua is the Hebrew for salvation.

(03-07-2012, 10:50 PM)YP Cheung Wrote:  5. Sandy said they do not believe in a trinity, do not celebrate xmas, easter, etc, but rather the holy days God commanded. Do you mean they still observe passover and circumcision? Is this true for all sects, or just some sects?

I believe Jesus is the Son of God, literally. That God is his Father and I believe that Holy Spirit, is separate because Jesus never referred to the Holy Spirit as his Father.

The vast majority of Jews observe Passover, and as for circumcision:

1 Corinthians 7:18
Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised.

(03-07-2012, 10:50 PM)YP Cheung Wrote:  6. Is there any gentile (for example Chinese, Japanese, German etc.) consider themselves adherents of Messianic Judaism? Perhaps, you think there is no such a thing. If any gentiles want to believe in Jesus as God and savior, they are simply called Christians.

Well, not really. Anyone who believes in Jesus came to be known as Christians, this happened first at Antioch, in Syria according to the book of Acts.

So Messianic Judaism, Christianity, it is the same faith in Jesus the Christ. Understanding, and what certain parts of scripture mean how it applies, also known as doctrine, that is what is different. This is what causes rifts.
aclj.org
askdrbrown.org
caseyluskin.com
explorationfilms.com
hebrew4christians.com
jewishvoice.com
mcleanbible.org

Thank you for all of you who takes times to answer my questions.

MAlan mentioned the book "The Messianic Movement: A Field Guide for Evangelical Christians." I can't find the download source. I saw it on Amazon. Can you please tell me about the web address where I can down load as pdf? If not, I certainly will purchase one.

Before I obtain the book, Can I ask tow more quick questions?

Messianic Jews call Jesus Yeshua. Besides being the Hebrew name, it is also because it is of a lesser respect? Since they don't consider Jesus equal to God the Father, is that the reason they use this name?

Do all Messianic Jews use the symbol: Lamp stand, David Star, Jesus Fish? I think I found at least one organization use only the first two symbol. That is no Jesus fish. Any one has an answer?

Thank you very much and I will try to obtain the book so I won't have to bother you again.

May the Lord bless you all.

I think there is another category that others fall into.

For instance Abraham was not a Jew but a Hebrew who never met Jesus but beleived Him to be a man not a G_d yet he is saved.
Jacob knew of the savior to come from Abraham teaching him about Jesus the promised seed to come.

So these are men, who are saved ,who believe the savior would be their descendant, their seed a man
not a G-d.

When you study Torah first principles you learn " The Promises to Abraham".

Abraham is told, the promised seed, would be his descendant and so He has to be a man not a G_d.

Modern churches do not understand the first principles from Torah so they do not know how to
understand the NT. The promises to Abraham, Isaac, Israel, King David, are the basis for all
future events.,
Jews can also believe that Jesus of Nazareth was a man not a G_d. He was a Rabbi
descended from Father Abraham of the tribe of Judah. He certainly was put to a horrible death.
These are facts of history.

I do not think you have to believe that Jesus is G_d to participate in Jews For Jesus.
Those who say such things are christians not Jews.
For 2,000 years Jews and christians never spoke because of the Nicene Creed that separates
a Jew from a christian for ever.

Jew=" Behold Israel the LORD thy G-d is one"

christian= G-d the Father, G-d the Son , G-d the Holy Spirit.

Paul the Jew did not believe Yeshua was G_d.
Peter the Jew did not believe Yeshua was G_d. etc, etc,
The promises to Abraham say He would be a man from King David descendants.

Mashiach is born to be King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Prince of peace, wonderful counselor,
our High Priest and mediator between G-d and man. Ruling from Jerusalem as a Jew, sitting on the throne of His Father, King David!

Many future events take place In Torah.
May YHWH bless your study of His Holy OT.