Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you make your Sabbaths special?
I try to think of ways to make it special and today, through no planning of my own, turned out pretty good. I went for a walk and saw a Baseball game and so I spent the evening at a Baseball game...I cant think of any better way to start my Sabbath.
We also buy special candles and use them on Sabbath, it makes the house smell good and puts us in a very happy mood.
Do you want to share you Sabbath traditions? What do you do to keep it Holy or make it unique or special?
Hope,

I have a special tablecloth with really nice cloth napkins & rings to set the table with..and a candle in the center, of course. And it is the only night of the week that I make a dessert to go with the meal. We enjoy a relaxed evening, nice conversation and a really special dinner altogether. On the afternoon of the sabbath, we go to worship services and fellowship with our brethren afterwards. It makes for a very nice respite from the worries and cares of the work week.
That sounds lovely. God bless you.
Hello friends!
Hope7, I couldn't help but notice that you attended a football game on the Sabbath day.As far as I know the Lord says that keeping the Sabbath holy means to not even speak our own words: If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable ; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD;- Isaiah 58:13-14
To give glory to G-d and to keep the Sabbath holy is if His will is our will!
Well I dont know about specifics I just serve the Lord and do my best. I try not to get burdened down with the law, but have been freed from the burden of the law, but not from loving God. Today is the Sabbath too and this is what happened today. I cant say it meets with everyones approval but I know God was in it!
Yesterday, Friday, we saw a dark lab puppy feet from the Interstate and just running, no leash, and obviously lost and roaming. We opened our door and took her in and she did great through the night and very healthy. We shampooed her, she was covered in mud and soot, and I took her down to find a home today, Sabbath. I asked God to help me and within half an hour a lady pulled up and asked if she was a lab and I said yes, a lab mix, she said she had just put down her 10 year old female lab and wanted to look at her. She was a kind,wonderful lady, in a well maintained and expensive car, not that it matters, and I know God answered my prayers when she took her. I have now rescued over 100 dogs and cats , with Gods help.I had taken about a year off due to financial strain but I just couldnt in good conscience let this puppy get run over or starve. God has answered prayers again, I dont know why He is so kind to let me rescue animals but I love it. God is good. Just a silly, insignificant, PTL story to share. I hope I dont bore you with my silly animal stories.
PS As far as the walk on the Sabbath and finding a baseball game...the Sabbath was made for me..Not me for the Sabbath. It was a gift from God to me, I wouldnt expect someone else to get it, only God and I get it. And not that it matters, but Ive lost a job because I would not work on Friday night and Sat. day. I do my best to honor this day, but I trust God, to take care of the details....He is able to put the ocean in a jar, he certainly can keep me doing what is right on the Sabbath, and what pleases Him....is pleasing us! God gave this gift of a baseball game to me...not me to God. Like wise He gave us Jesus too, some accept this Holy Gift, others not, but those who try to manipulate it to take away the joy, dont get His Gift. My gifts to God are just giving Him me, and He is getting the short end of the stick, since what He gives to us is so much more and unimaginably perfect. That is how wonderful our God is.Shalom. Happy Jewish New Year.
Bump Bump Bump
The most amazing thing happened. After a long difficult summer the Lord has answered prayers for me and my family and He chose Jewish New Year! How cool is that! The difficult summer helped me get more fit, it put things in perspective, it allowed me to know that being a part of Gods family does not mean you have to be a part of organized religion, as a matter of fact I have found more decency and sincerity among those who do not claim to be Christian than I have found in thirteen years in the church. And many very sincere Christians are in the church as well, just not every person in church in Gods. That was not always the case but the spirit of the anti-Christ has invaded even the church. God is good, that does not mean that everyone who claims to be Gods is Gods.
PS Also got Horowitz's book regarding Obama and the Rules of the Radicals....Horowitz wrote a very , very interesting and eye popping book. I shall study it deeply. Shalom and Happy Jewish New Year! Praise our Lord.
The Sabbath is a joyous 24 hours every week..at sunset Friday, the family, and any friends who want to come..it is all about praising God, by song, prayer and meditation...we eat a meal dedicated to God/Jesus...the next day (daylight of the seventh day), we pray and sing, and do Bible studies or whatever one of our members has on his/her heart....everything is dedicated to God/Jesus...We have lots of food availble, made on the preparation day...so we can rest from manual tasks...it is indeed, as God planned it a day of spiritual, physical and emotional rejuvenation, with spiritual matters taking priority...Thank you God for your Holy Seventh day Sabbath, it is a blessing indeed!
I make my Shabbos special by first prepping my mind on the way home from work Friday afternoon: my work is done. Thus, I have no worries about that major project due on Monday, or whether or not those who need my work have any questions. As far as I'm concerned, everything is taken care of. If need be, I leave work early to make sure I can be home in time to finish Shabbos prep because honoring Shabbos is more important than my job.

I make sure I have opportunities to sing songs of praise to G-D and of the beauty of Shabbos. I have a newborn daughter (2 months!) and she very much enjoys the songs.

Hope7 is correct that Shabbos was made for us. Like everything in life, there are rules on how to properly use and enjoy Shabbos, and my wife and I make an effort to discuss the manners of work prohibited on Shabbos (what they are, how we know them, and what is permissible or not).

Like everything in life, the more I put in to Shabbos, the more it seems like it has its own feel. It's almost tangible.
(05-26-2012, 06:23 PM)SandraLoftis Wrote: Hope,

I have a special tablecloth with really nice cloth napkins & rings to set the table with..and a candle in the center, of course. And it is the only night of the week that I make a dessert to go with the meal. We enjoy a relaxed evening, nice conversation and a really special dinner altogether. On the afternoon of the sabbath, we go to worship services and fellowship with our brethren afterwards. It makes for a very nice respite from the worries and cares of the work week.

You can feel the sweet presence of the Lord on Sabbath, cant you?. Nice way to try to honor that special day. I can imagine your nice table cloth too and can almost smell the candles.

(06-13-2013, 10:30 AM)benyosef Wrote: I make my Shabbos special by first prepping my mind on the way home from work Friday afternoon: my work is done. Thus, I have no worries about that major project due on Monday, or whether or not those who need my work have any questions. As far as I'm concerned, everything is taken care of. If need be, I leave work early to make sure I can be home in time to finish Shabbos prep because honoring Shabbos is more important than my job.

I make sure I have opportunities to sing songs of praise to G-D and of the beauty of Shabbos. I have a newborn daughter (2 months!) and she very much enjoys the songs.

Hope7 is correct that Shabbos was made for us. Like everything in life, there are rules on how to properly use and enjoy Shabbos, and my wife and I make an effort to discuss the manners of work prohibited on Shabbos (what they are, how we know them, and what is permissible or not).

Like everything in life, the more I put in to Shabbos, the more it seems like it has its own feel. It's almost tangible.

I can appreciate your family leadership. The Lord leads me in what is right or not, and besides not working my routine job, I try to refrain as much as possible, and to rest...but I fail and sometimes over do it. But still I hear a sweet voice, none verbal, just an idea of a whisper, of Jesus saying ITS OK,I paid the price....your covered. Not excusing me, mind you, but giving me cushion in my service of God. Where would we be without that cushion? Unforgivable.

I also like playing my WINDS OF THE SPIRIT cd I bought from JFJ. It calms me, even when the noise from Christian radio will not.