Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Isaiah 53 Is Israel This Servant?
Points raised here show it could never be the Nation nor even a group!
In the first place, is the suffering servant a Personification of the nation of Israel? To this question some honest, conscientious scholars answer in the affirmative. To the writer, however, this position is untenable for six unmistakable reasons:

(1) The prophet speaks of the servant as "he," "him," and "his" and clearly differentiates him from the audience with which he identifies himself and of which he speaks as "we," "our," and "us" (See 53:1-6). Since it is to the nation that he addresses his discourse and since he distinguishes between the servant and the audience, the servant is not the nation.

(2) This servant suffers for the entire nation. In 53:6 the prophet declares that all Israel has gone astray, i.e., they have gone off into sin. In verse 8 he affirms that the servant "was cut off out of the land of the living for the transgression of my [Isaiah's people, the Hebrews] people to whom the stroke was due." Since, therefore, the servant suffers for the guilt of the nation, he cannot be the nation.

(3) The servant submits to the suffering heaped upon him submissively offering NO resistance. From this standpoint it is clear that one other than the nation is the sufferer. It is a well known fact that, instead of submitting to the cruelties and atrocities heaped upon her, Israel has stubbornly resisted with physical force in innumerable instances those who persecuted her, and only submitted when overpowered by superior forces. As proof of this assertion it is well to note the following summary of some outstanding historical facts in the life of the nation, which is written by an eminent Hebrew who deals with this subject historically: "Here is one described, who bears all sorts of affliction and oppression, without making the slightest resistance, without even opening his mouth to utter reproach--one who has the meekness and gentleness of a lamb, the inoffensiveness of a sheep. Surely this does not apply to the Jews. A very hasty glance at this history is sufficient to convince us of that. As long as ever they had the power, they did resist bitterly and bloodily. We freely acknowledge that their provocations were great. We have no wish to defend the wickedness of Christian nations. We grant that their treatment of the Jews is a blot and a stain. But that is not the question. The question is, Did the Jews bear all the oppression heaped upon them like lambs? Did they suffer evil-without resisting it? History answers in the negative. The history of the Jewish captivity for the first seven centuries is a history of a series of insurrections, fierce and violent, against the nations. How desperate was the resistance to the Roman power which brought on the destruction of the temple by Titus! But when that was destroyed, the spirit of resistance still remained. A.D. 115, the Jews of Cyrene rebelled and slew 220,000 Libyans; and it was not until after several bloody battles that they submitted. A.D. 132, Bar Cochba appeared in the character of the Messiah at the head of an army, ready to shake off the Roman yoke. R. Akiba, one of those looked upon by the Rabbis as most righteous, supported his resistance to the Roman authority; a bloody war was the consequence, and it was only by force that this insurrection was put down. A.D. 415, the Jews of Alexandria revolted. A.D. 522, the Jews of Persia revolted under the conduct of R. Mid, or Miz, at their head, and declared war against the King of Persia. A.D. 535, the Jews in Caesarea rebelled. A.D. 602, the Jews at Antioch. A.D. 624, the Jews in Arabia took up arms against Mahomet. A.D. 613, they joined the armies of Chosroes, when he made himself master of Jerusalem, and put thousands to death."

(4) This servant suffers VOLUNTARILY but the nation has never thus suffered. "He poured out his soul unto death." This statement shows that he suffers willingly, which position is strengthened by the fact that when he suffers he is silent and resigned to his lot. Nowhere in the pages of Jewish history can it be shown that the nation or a remnant of the nation has voluntarily suffered in behalf of others. Therefore from this consideration it is clear that the nation is not the subject of the prophecy.

(5) The servant suffers UNTO DEATH, whereas the nation is to continue. According to 53:8,12, the servant is cut off out of the land of the living, but, according to Jer. 30:11, Israel continues as a nation: "For I will make a full end of all the nations whither I have scattered thee, but I will not make a full end of thee; but I will correct thee in measure, and will in no wise leave thee unpunished." Therefore, since the servant goes to death, but the nation survives the catastrophe which blots out all other nations, Israel cannot be the servant of this passage.
David L Cooper, Th.M., Ph.D., Litt.D

M't:26:52: Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

M't:26:63: But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.

M't:27:14: And he answered him to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly.
The report of the many (Isaiah 53), exiled Israel, of the servant bearing
our sin (and consequences of it) by vicarious suffering, (His whole life an offering for sin) and His death the final atonement.

Y'shua, obedient to His Father's will, suffering exile without the camp, righteous, without sin, unjustly accused, falsely and unfairly tried, for the joy set before him, accepting our penalty and punishment for our disobedience, accepting His death that we, (the many) might have life.
Thus providing us the promise of eternal life, a land promised in which to sojourn, and the New Jerusalem, with eternal peace with the Father forever.

Isaiah 49
[6] And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.
[7] Thus saith the LORD, the Redeemer of Israel, and his Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nation abhorreth, to a servant of rulers, Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship, because of the LORD that is faithful, and the Holy One of Israel, and he shall choose thee.
MIDRASH KONEN  (11th Century)
"Messiah Son of David who loves Jerusalem... Elijah takes Him by the head... and says, "You must bare the sufferings and wounds by which the Almighty chastises you for Israel's sins' and so it is written, He was wounded for our transgressions, bruised for our iniquities."

Zohar, Numbers, Pinchus 218a
"The children of the world are members one of another. When the Holy One desires to give healing to the world, He smites one just man amongst them and for His sake heals all the rest. From where do we learn this? From the saying (Isaiah 53:5 ) He was wounded for our transgressions, bruised for our iniquities."

Midrash Aseret Memrot
"The Messiah, in order to atone for them both (Adam and David), will make his soul a trespass offering (Isaiah 53:10) as it is written next to this parashah ' Behold my servant' (Isaiah 53:13).
John 18 :14 confirms this Rabbinic thought such as Caiaiphas the high priest may have had. One dying for all the people. I don't want to add much more than that. You may want to re-read the Gospel and Paul's letter's. Covet earnestly the best gift (s). Pray that G-d will open the eyes of the blind, that they might see the hope of their calling. i.e. To the Jew first- an individual nation- and the nation as a whole, and all of G-d's children.

Peace to the brethren of G-d and Y'shua.    <((((((((<
If you look at the verse about a root out of dry ground in 53:2 I was thinking about how it fits the hebrew "eyb" in Song of Solomon 6:11.  I had a dream of a triangle of wood when I was by the pentagon in a hotel.  It made me see how the walnut fits Levi, Simeon and Reuben.  The green shoot fits Judah, Dan and Naphtali. The grape vine fits Gad, Ahser and Issachar.  The Pomogranate fits Zebulon, Benjamin, Dinah and Joseph.

Then the Jews get in the end time David Princes chariot and go to Israel in a big 1960"s caravan in Song of Solomon 6:12.

A green shoot is verticle like the praise of Judah, the snake of Dan, or the Jump of Naphtali the deer.

The walnut is bitter like Reuben, eaten with noise for Simeon, and Joins the 4 corners of the world for Levi, the tribe the end time David prince comes from.

The grape vine is related to the feet of Asher and the feet of Issachar the donkey and also the tearing crown of Gad the lion.

The pomogranate is for the tribe of Benjamin in Judges end, For Ester in Persia where pomogrates originated supposedly, for the ravishing of Dinah, the fruit is traditionally seen as a ravishing.  It is also like a house of fire for Joseph.  It is for Jonah, who was from the territory of Zebulon, a town meaning wine press well, Gath Hepher.  The Pomogranate is traditionally submerged to break it open.  Then it is like the whales stomach or Yeshua's cave.   The first fruit comes out of the water.

Easter Island is Benjamin's triangle. The red hats on the moi are like the arils in a pomogranate.  The Island points to Alaska, the place where Israel will make a new nation with the Nations in the Day of the Lord according to my end time theory I hope you don't see as cultish or heretical just something with the Judeo centrism of Dispensationalism and the optomism of Amillenialism without the gloom or replacement theology.  Praise Yeshua!
David's and Jesus' sayings in comparison to Isaiah 53:

Psalm 69:26 For they persecute whom thou hast smitten; and they talk to the grief of those whom Thou hast wounded. (KJV)

Psalm 69:26 For him who is smitten of thee, they persecute, they gossip of the pain of thy pierced ones. (Mod Language Bible)

Psalm 69:26 For they persecute the one you have smitten, and scoff at the pain of the one you have pierced. (Living Bible)

Psalm 69:26 For they persecute him* whom thou hast smitten and him whom thou hast wounded they afflict still more.* (RSV)

At first glance, this seems like a hard word from King David, yet he knew that the Lord may very well allow persecution to remind us of His sovereignty.

(RSV) Greek Syr Hebrew: * those * recount the pain of

What then is the difference? Y'shua (the high priest of our confession)was without sin.  David and the Nation of Israel sinned.
Deut 18
[15] The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

Isaiah 50
[10] Who is among you that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the LORD, and stay upon his God.

Isaiah 9
[6] For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

The words of Christ Jesus,

Matthew 28
[19] Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:  [20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
The rebbes knew that if Israel was sinful, their Mashiach would come to them lowly, riding a colt (JPS Zechariah 9:9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion, shout, O daughter of Jerusalem; behold, thy king cometh unto thee, he is triumphant, and victorious, lowly, and riding upon an ass, even upon a colt the foal of an ass.). Those who understood the scripture knew that Yeshua was the Messiah who had come “lowly”. In so doing He was not going to overthrow the yoke of societal tyranny. He did come to save and heal.
     Few, if any, of the Sanhedrin got it. It is so very vapid to think that healings were not supposed to occur on the Shabbat. If the Sanhedrin were truly doing their jobs, then that is the exact day they would have been empowered to work miracles on. The Sabbath was deliberately set aside for that purpose. Yeshua is Lord of the Shabbat, that is why His resurrection was on Shabbat, NOT the first day of the week.
     His return is with a sword and a heavenly host, that means men's governances will topple and Yeshua sets up the millennial Kingdom, which will be recommissioned to endure forever.

Shalom,

Yes, Yis'rael is this Servant!

There are four "Servant Songs" in Y'sha'yahu/Isaiah. in one of them (49:1-6) it says, "You are My Servant, O Yis'rael, in whom I will be glorified" (49:3)

The Rabbis have used this particular verse in the Songs to point out that Yis'rael, the People, are the Servant of these songs. and this particular passage has been a stumbling block for Messianics. another Name or Title for the Mashi'ach can be Yis'rael. to some it is because He fulfills the obligations of the People. but to others, it is because of what the Name Yis'rael itself means: "He who reigns as G'd", which is what the Mashi'ach, the Son of G'd does, since all things have been placed under His feet (Iv'rim/Hebrews 2:5-9).

Shalom v'Chesed b'Yeshua,
Yochanan
~_/ | |/ '~
Israel has to be careful not to try a steal the glory away from God and try and claim it for themselves. Some try to put Israel on a pedestal. All the Glory belongs to God not man, Jesus Christ is Lord.