Bible Options Bible Study Software
Hi There
I am new to this site. I am a Jew but am interested in Christianity and why there are 2 billion followers. Someone please help me understand. I am recently divorced 32 yrs old the last time I was in a synagogue was for my sisters batmitzvah 15 years ago.
(07-26-2013, 04:13 PM)llandorf Wrote: I am new to this site. I am a Jew but am interested in Christianity and why there are 2 billion followers. Someone please help me understand. I am recently divorced 32 yrs old the last time I was in a synagogue was for my sisters batmitzvah 15 years ago.

Shalom and welcome, llandorf. We hope you will find your visit here a blessing.

Please visit this web site's sections called "Answers" and "About Us" for a starting point about what we believe and why. You are welcome to explore the other sections as well, of course; and you are welcome to use the "contact us" section to direct questions to our headquarters staff (in San Francisco) or in our branch offices around the world.

In this Forums section, you will find many different beliefs expressed; just about everyone who participates has some firmly held belief about Jesus, although some are very much against Him and others are for Him. We permit a wider range of expression than do many other religious web sites, because we know that Jesus will have the final word.

Jews for Jesus proclaims that Jesus is the Messiah, and that His sacrificial death on the cross provided the blood atonement for the sins of everyone (Jewish and gentile) who puts their faith in Him. This is in accordance with the Scriptures, as revealed by God through Jewish prophets such as Isaiah, who wrote:

"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned, every one, to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all." -- Isaiah 53:6

Referring to Numbers 21:4-9 in the Tenakh, Jesus told the following to Nicodemus, a Jewish leader:

"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

"For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

"He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God..." -- John 3:14-18

Because there is so much at stake -- eternal destiny -- we believe that everyone has the right to examine the claims of Jesus and the Brit Hadashah (the New Testament) for themselves, and accept or reject his free gift of salvation without pressure or harassment.

The late Vera Schlamm, M.D., a survivor of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, wrote:

"When I accepted Him [Jesus], it was strictly because God showed me, yes, Jesus is the expected Messiah...I learned that Jesus had ushered in a New Covenant prophesied by Jeremiah [in Jeremiah 31:31-34]...Do we need to protect ourselves against the 'disgrace' of becoming Jews who believe in Jesus? Should we keep a chain on the door of our hearts so we don't have to see if he is out there, if he is real? No, for if Jesus is the Messiah, it is no disgrace for a Jew to believe."

God bless you,
Moderator MAlan