Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear Jews, Jesus is the Messiah!
Tanachreader, you can't just stop at verse 32; the covenant is explained in detail in the next two verses:

"But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, says the L-RD, I will put My law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their G-D, and they shall be My people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the L-RD: for they shall all know Me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, says the L-RD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."

Only when this happens will we know the new covenant is in effect.

Even with all this, we are never told to believe in the Messiah, but we are told that we should keep the commandments, which, as we see here in Jeremiah 31, will be applicable in the Messianic Age.
Hi Benyosef,

Jeremiah 31:33
But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the
house of Israel; after those days, saith the Lord

The several articles or branches of the covenant next follow, which show it to be different from the former: I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts;
not the ceremonial law, which was abolished when this covenant was made; but rather the moral law still in force, which is a transcript of the nature and will of God; was inscribed on Adam's heart in innocence; is greatly obliterated by sin; a contrary disposition to it is in man; this is reinscribed in regeneration; and hence a regard is had to it by regenerate persons, in which lies part of their conformity to Christ: or else, since the word here used signifies doctrine or instruction, the Gospel and the truths of it may be meant; see ( Isaiah 2:2 ) ( 42:4 ) ( Romans 3:27 ) ; which have a place and dwell in the hearts of renewed ones. The Septuagint version reads it in the plural number, "laws"; and so does the apostle, ( Hebrews 8:10 ) ; and may design the ordinances of the Gospel, and the commandments of Christ; which such, who are called by grace, have at heart to keep, and are made willing to be subject to; besides, the principle of grace in the soul is called "the law of the mind"; ( Romans 7:23 ) ; it has the force of a law; is a reigning, governing, principle; and which is implanted in the genre by the spirit and power of God; the tables on which this law or laws are written are not tables of stone, but the fleshly tables of the heart; the heart is the proper seat, both of the law of God and Gospel of Christ, as well as of the grace of God in all regenerate persons: and the "putting" of those things there denotes knowledge of them, as of the spirituality of the law, and its perfection; that there is no righteousness by it, and is only fulfilled by Christ; and that it is a rule of walk and conversation; and also of the doctrines of the Gospel, in the power and savour of them, and of the ordinances of it, so as to practice them, and walk in them; and an experience of the truth and reality of internal grace: and "writing" them here may denote affection for, and subjection to, the above things; and a clear work of grace upon the soul, so as to be legible, and appear to be the epistle of Christ, written not with the ink of nature's power, but by the Spirit of the living God; see ( 2 Corinthians 3:3 ) . This passage is applied to future times, the times of the Messiah, by the Jews: and will be their God, and they shall be my people;
JGill
Continued...
God is the God of his covenant ones; not as the God of nature and providence only, but as the God of grace, and as their God and Father in Christ; which is preferable to everything else; all things are theirs; nor can they want any good thing; they need fear no enemy; they may depend upon the love of God, and be secure of his power; they may expect all blessings here and hereafter; for this covenant interest will always continue: and they are his people in such sense as others are not; a distinct, special, and peculiar people; a people near unto the Lord; high in his favour, and greatly blessed by him; all which is made to appear in their effectual calling; see ( 1 Peter 2:9 1 Peter 2:10 ) .
Jgill
Hi, Tanachreader. That was an interesting read on how by simply inserting tidbits like “faith in Jesus” can turn any non-Christian text (e.g. the Torah) into a text which “clearly” prophecies and speaks solely of Jesus. I have two questions regarding this copied text someone else wrote, and I was hoping you could help me understand it.

What is the difference between “ceremonial law” and “moral law,” and where do you see the Torah make a distinction between the two, particularly when it comes to this new covenant Jeremiah 31 speaks of? Additionally, how do you arrive at the conclusion that one set of laws (i.e. moral laws) are still in force while the other (ceremonial) is not? Does G-D ever speak of abolishing either set at all?

The Septuagint was originally written by 72 rabbis, but they only translated the Five Books of Moshe, not the entire Jewish Scriptures; that would later be added by the Church, who even edited what the rabbis wrote in the Five Books part of the LXX. However we look at it, it is difficult to say the LXX is a translation that seeks to relay the true meaning of the Jewish Scriptures.

In short, what you have attempted to do is to twist, turn, and dodge around the fact that every element Jeremiah says will occur when the new covenant is in force has not in fact happened. So, you (maybe not you personally, for I don't know you so well, but you quote other who do so) are forced to misinterpret and misrepresent the words of G-D's prophet to sell a Christian message to Jews (e.g. me), while claiming that your beliefs are rooted in our text.

You are free to believe whatever you want. Just don't tell me your belief is based on my text when it clearly is not.
Hi Benyosef,
Are Christians Under The Law? Understanding The Law And The Gospel

The Moral laws
Jesus says “…one jot or tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, TILL ALL BE FULFILLED.”
Well all was fulfilled.
Jesus quotes the Mosaic law and then shows that His standards are far superior: in Matthew 5
I'm not a scholar and I could simply try and explain a good work with my abilities which would probably take away the excellence of the original teaching in the website link below.
Rather than explain the 3 covenants Abrahamic, Mosaic and Christs please study this page and ask what you want.
http://beginningandend.com/are-christian...he-gospel/

I would love you to read the above site which will clear up any confusion you or others have about what Yeshua did and what He mean't TILL ALL BE FULFILLED.
God bless Israel!
(12-01-2013, 10:40 AM)Tanachreader Wrote: Hi Benyosef,
Are Christians Under The Law? Understanding The Law And The Gospel

The Moral laws
Jesus says “…one jot or tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, TILL ALL BE FULFILLED.”
Well all was fulfilled.
Jesus quotes the Mosaic law and then shows that His standards are far superior: in Matthew 5
I'm not a scholar and I could simply try and explain a good work with my abilities which would probably take away the excellence of the original teaching in the website link below.
Rather than explain the 3 covenants Abrahamic, Mosaic and Christs please study this page and ask what you want.
http://beginningandend.com/are-christian...he-gospel/

I would love you to read the above site which will clear up any confusion you or others have about what Yeshua did and what He mean't TILL ALL BE FULFILLED.
God bless Israel!
It's easy to understand Matthew 5:17-20. If J-sus did not come to destroy/abolish the law, then they are still valid because heaven and earth are still here. The same Greek term for fulfill is used in Matthew 3:15. Interestingly enough, J-sus says in this verse that "we must fulfill all righteousness", not just himself.

In other words, he was in agreement that Torah must be fulfilled, not discarded. Living upto the standards of Torah one day doesn't mean we throw it away.
Tanachreader, how can you say "all was fulfilled?" What happened to these?

"In the last days, the mountain of the L-RD’s Temple will be established as the highest of the mountains; it will be exalted above the hills, and all nations will stream to it. Many peoples will come and say, 'Come, let us go up to the mountain of the L-RD, to the Temple of the G-D of Jacob. He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in His paths.' The Torah will go out from Zion, the word of the L-RD from Jerusalem." (Isaiah 2:2-3)

"The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them. The cow will feed with the bear, their young will lie down together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox. The infant will play near the cobra’s den, and the young child will put its hand into the viper’s nest. They will neither harm nor destroy on all My holy mountain, for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the L-RD as the waters cover the sea." (Isaiah 11:6-9)

"No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the L-RD,’ because they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the L-RD." (Jeremiah 31:34)
'Nachshon' wrote

Interestingly enough, J-sus says in this verse that "we must fulfill all righteousness", not just himself.

In other words, he was in agreement that Torah must be fulfilled, not discarded. Living upto the standards of Torah one day doesn't mean we throw it away

Salvation will come only by the Lord Yeshua. The Lord is my righteousness and I'm justified only in the Lord Yeshua.
Isa:45:22: Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
Isa:45:23: I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.
Isa:45:24: Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed.
Isa:45:25: In the LORD shall all the seed of Israel be justified, and shall glory.
Justification
a forensic term, opposed to condemnation. As regards its nature,
it is the judicial act of God, by which he pardons all the sins
of those who believe in Christ, and accounts, accepts, and
treats them as righteous in the eye of the law, i.e., as
conformed to all its demands. In addition to the pardon (q.v.)
of sin, justification declares that all the claims of the law
are satisfied in respect of the justified. It is the act of a
judge and not of a sovereign. The law is not relaxed or set
aside, but is declared to be fulfilled in the strictest sense;
and so the person justified is declared to be entitled to all
the advantages and rewards arising from perfect obedience to the
law (Rom. 5:1-10).
It proceeds on the imputing or crediting to the believer by
God himself of the perfect righteousness, active and passive, of
his Representative and Surety, Jesus Christ (Rom. 10:3-9).
Justification is not the forgiveness of a man without
righteousness, but a declaration that he possesses a
righteousness which perfectly and for ever satisfies the law,
namely, Christ's righteousness (2 Cor. 5:21; Rom. 4:6-8).
The sole condition on which this righteousness is imputed or
credited to the believer is faith in or on the Lord Jesus
Christ. Faith is called a "condition," not because it possesses
any merit, but only because it is the instrument, the only
instrument by which the soul appropriates or apprehends Christ
and his righteousness (Rom. 1:17; 3:25, 26; 4:20, 22; Phil.
3:8-11; Gal. 2:16).
The act of faith which thus secures our justification secures
also at the same time our sanctification (q.v.); and thus the
doctrine of justification by faith does not lead to
licentiousness (Rom. 6:2-7). Good works, while not the ground,
are the certain consequence of justification (6:14; 7:6).
Hi benyosef,
When? When “all be fulfilled.”
The fulfillment of the books of the law and the prophets was accomplished by Jesus fulfilling the many Messianic prophecies that spoke of His arrival, ministry, rejection, making a New Covenant with his death and Resurection.

It was at this moment on the cross that all was fulfilled. And after fulfilling a final prophecy, Jesus announced “It is finished.” All had been fulfilled and accomplished in Him. And thus as Scripture properly details, the Mosaic law “vanished” away as the New Covenant was established with the death and shed blood of Christ.
“So if we are not under ANY of the Ten Commandments, Christians can just sin as much as they want not? Anything goes? Murder?”
The obvious answer to this question is no. Christians are not free to sin willy nilly. The Ten Commandments of the Old Covenant, written in stone, have been replaced by The Holy Spirit. This again was confirmed by The Lord in Jeremiah 31:
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. – Jeremiah 31:33.
The Holy Spirit indwells a Christian at the moment of salvation. Jesus proclaimed this in John chapter 16:

In Matthew 5 gave His commandment's, even to love you enemies.
Proverbs 25:21-22 we read "If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink: for thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the Lord shall reward thee".
Coals of fire upon his head will not harm anyone as it means it will destroy his hate for you.

There is a time for everything, as it says in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, including "a time to kill, and a time to heal...a time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace". Yeshua knew what time it was. The sceptre had departed from Judah, according to the prophecy of Genesis 49:10 (the "sceptre" being the authority of the Sanhedrin to judge capital cases, which was lost at about 6 or 7 C.E. when Yeshua was a child). Yeshua knew that things would get worse and worse, and in Matt. 24:1-2 he prophesied the destruction of the Temple, an event that occurred in 70 C.E.

Isaiah 2:2-3 is the return of the Lord to Israel where He will rule the Earth. There are many prophecies that yet are not completed. In John's Revelation they proceed even after the 1000 year reign of the Messiah.

If your Jewish and believe in Yeshua it doesn't mean you have to worship as other do.
There are many Zulu believers, Native Indian, Syrian, Egyptian, British etc.
As a Christian you would be thrilled to experience God's presence coming down in their congregation but that doesn't mean you have to be as them. There is something very wrong with any denom. that say's so.
(12-09-2013, 07:13 AM)Tanachreader Wrote: Salvation will come only by the Lord Yeshua. The Lord is my righteousness and I'm justified only in the Lord Yeshua.
Isa:45:22: Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
Isa:45:23: I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.
Isa:45:24: Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed.
Isa:45:25: In the LORD shall all the seed of Israel be justified, and shall glory.
Justification
There is only ONE singular G-d, Deut 4:35; 1 Kings 18:39. We also know that the ONE G-d, is also our Creator and Father, Mal 2:10. He is only ONE, not we or three.

Isa 45:22 shows G-d is singular, and He is alone. There is no trinity indicated in these verses, in agreement with what I've presented above.

Again, since the anointed/messiah depends on G-d for salvation (Psalm 20:6, Hebrews 5:7 if you bellieve J-sus is messiah), I also depend on G-d for salvation.