Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused
(09-10-2013, 08:29 AM)Tricia73 Wrote: I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Anyway, I'm a gentile Christian and love the Jews.

I have always been confused as to how the Jews in whole missed Jesus as their Messiah based on Daniel 9:26, which says that the Jewish Temple would be destroyed AFTER Messiah was revealed and executed. Daniel wrote this over 500 years before Jesus was born. We know that the Temple was destroyed in 70 AD, and thus, we know conclusively from Daniel 9:26 that the Messiah had to come before then.

So, can anyone explain what I'm missing here????

thanks in advance for any insight into this question!

Bs'd

I started a topic about Daniel 9 in the unmoderated forum, that talks a bit easier, you don't have to wait more than a day before your post shows up, and then again more than a day before you can see an answer.
(01-20-2014, 09:29 PM)Eliyahu Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 05:12 PM)ThomasDGW Wrote: The Messiah is cut off after the 62 sevens, and the Temple and the city are destroyed, but then in the midst of the 70th seven there is the abomination in the sanctuary of the Temple. The only way that I can see that working would be if there is a pause after the 62 sevens are completed, and the 70th seven happens much later. Do you have a better suggestion?

Bs'd

The stopping of the sacrifices is supposed to happen in the 70th week: "Then after the sixty-two weeks the Messiah will be cut off and have nothing, and the people of the prince who is to come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. And its end will come with a flood; even to the end there will be war; desolations are determined. And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of THE WEEK he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering;"

Saying the 70th week didn't happen is impossible, because here it says that in the middle of THE WEEK, that is the 70th week, the sacrifices would be stopped.
We know that the sacrifces are stoped, therefore we know that the 70th week did happen.

According to Christian theology, JC with his death, made the sacrificial system stop. He died around 30, so that was the 70th week.
Of course that doesn't fit with the destruction of the Temple which should also happen in the 70th week, so Christianity has a problem.

Once you start putting pauses in the prophecy, it is like saying: "I can't get my account to stick, and therefore I'm chopping up the prophecy."

Once you start putting in pauses, you might put them as well everywhere you want.

Here is an explanation, without pauses, totally fitting the prophecy:

There’s obviously a time gap between 69th week and 70th week. The 70th week of years, does not begin until the Antichrist makes a peace deal with Israel and then in the middle of the week, the abomination of desolation occurs; this is after the Temple is rebuilt (because it was destroyed in 70 AD as Jesus predicted, Luke 19:43-44). Consider also:

Should anyone regard the idea of a gap between the sixty-ninth and seventieth weeks as forced, let him consider that such instances are common in the prophetic Scriptures. For example, David wrote, "The face of the Lord is against them that do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth" (Psalm 34:16). Did you ever take note of the prophetic gap in this verse? You see it clearly when you read Peter's quotation of it. Peter wrote, "The face of the Lord is against them that do evil" (1Peter 3:12). But the Holy Spirit prevented Peter from adding the last part of Psalm 34:16, namely "to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth," for the reason that this act of God is one of future judgment. (The Prophecies of Daniel)