Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Yom Kippur
Just for those who like it or want it or need it:
Good headstart of the year, meaningfull fast day, and that all might be written in the Good Book.

Just quistened myself how ''for Jesus'' or how Jewish this forum or ''Jews for Jesus'' actually is?
Well except for those who were or are still in Yom Kippur and realy don't use electricity...?
I guess since the last few years I'm on this forum, the group become more and more Christian.
I mean there could be quotes about Paul using the day of atonement in the Christian Testaments etc. but I don't see input sofar. A bit sad that spiritually people have less and less a living relation with the commandments of the Father and with the Father.
(09-13-2013, 05:26 AM)Yetzirah Wrote: Just quistened myself how ''for Jesus'' or how Jewish this forum or ''Jews for Jesus'' actually is?

What does that mean?

(09-14-2013, 10:59 AM)Yetzirah Wrote: I guess since the last few years I'm on this forum, the group become more and more Christian.

This statue is not kept to its fullest either.

For on that day shall the priest make an atonement for you, to cleanse you, that ye may be clean from all your sins before the Lord.

Leviticus 16:30

You nor Israel don't have a Priest of the sons of Aaron anymore.

(09-14-2013, 10:59 AM)Yetzirah Wrote: I mean there could be quotes about Paul using the day of atonement in the Christian Testaments etc. but I don't see input sofar. A bit sad that spiritually people have less and less a living relation with the commandments of the Father and with the Father.

Acts 27:9
Hebrews 9:11-12
Quote:What does that mean?
Well I did not see this year people wishing eachother things for Rosh HaShannah, nor repent, ask forgiveness etc.
So I guess in this forum are: or less Jews, or the people became less Jewish (orientated), or don't listen to HIS commandments, or the Jews who are still with Jews for Jesus feel themselves so Christian that they think there is no more difference between Greek and Jew. Then my question still is ''why especially JEWS for Jesus?''

Quote:For on that day shall the priest make an atonement for you, to cleanse you, that ye may be clean from all your sins before the Lord.
Leviticus 16:30
You nor Israel don't have a Priest of the sons of Aaron anymore.
Who says? There are still a lot of sons of Aaron.
But I must say that according to Leviticus 16:29, It was not o.k. that I did see a lot of foreigners working in Israel on Yom Kippur, so maybe the state of Israel is indeed less Jewish then it was 1900 years ago.
So a question could be, why were some Christians working on Yom Kippur? Muslims don't keep exactly our calander, should also stop working in Israel, but anyway they at least have a day of repentence/turning back to God etc. on the 10th of their month (called Asherah) some fast on that day etc.
Quote:Acts 27:9
Hebrews 9:11-12
I know the texts, but it's said that there is no discussion about it, no living faith about it, nor tradition it seems, to return back to our neighbors and our victims for forgiveness etc.
(09-22-2013, 01:16 PM)Yetzirah Wrote: Who says? There are still a lot of sons of Aaron.
But I must say that according to Leviticus 16:29, It was not o.k. that I did see a lot of foreigners working in Israel on Yom Kippur, so maybe the state of Israel is indeed less Jewish then it was 1900 years ago.
So a question could be, why were some Christians working on Yom Kippur?

I say for one the Levites are not around doing what is written in Leviticus which is to the Levi. Who out there is able to trace their lineage back to Aaron? On top of it, which Levite out there is actually doing according to what is written in Leviticus 16:30?

Christians work on Yom Kippur for one because many Christians are unable to or don't believe they have to.

(09-22-2013, 01:16 PM)Yetzirah Wrote: I know the texts, but it's said that there is no discussion about it, no living faith about it, nor tradition it seems, to return back to our neighbors and our victims for forgiveness etc.

You know the texts? Perhaps you've forgot about this one?

Matthew 5:24
Leave there your gift before the altar, and go your way; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
Quote:I say for one the Levites are not around doing what is written in Leviticus which is to the Levi. Who out there is able to trace their lineage back to Aaron? On top of it, which Levite out there is actually doing according to what is written in Leviticus 16:30?
We still have a lot of people who have their tradition that they are from Levi / Aaron. they kept track, although their might be mistakes. And we don't go by Leviticus only, we had to deal with the Law, also after the Western world destroyed our Temple.
Quote:Christians work on Yom Kippur for one because many Christians are unable to or don't believe they have to.
All right if you realy loose your job, get almost killed maybe you can't do Yom Kippur.
That non-Jewish Christians don't have to do Yom Kippur is logical, but that might show that on this forum their might be not a lot of Jews, that was the point.
If Jewish-Christians just ''belief'' that they don't have to, it's an explanation that they come into this topic. But it also shows that they are less Jewish then. And in Judaism there is not such a thing as ''just believing'', we were commanded to do it in all generations, a Messiah, prophet or angel can't change that.

Quote:Matthew 5:24
Leave there your gift before the altar, and go your way; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
No I know this one too. I wrote that there is no discussion about it much, on how to do it, or that it's a law connected to Yom Kippur for example.
Just giving texts, does not show yet that it's a living religion, or living relationship with God and neighbors. A lot of Christians just pray to God and forget to go first to reconcile with a brother indeed.
Thanks, be good.
As a Christian, and non-Jewish person, I would like to say that I think some Christians are simply uneducated and do not know some of the observances or maybe they have chosen not to live under specific laws but rather under the cross of Jesus and feel that because they have this wonderful gift, an advocate in heaven, that they don't need to be so exact in their worship, feeling that following the law perfectly is impossible and attempting to try would only lead to more and more burden and away from the beauty of Gods New Testament, New Covenant, which is grace.
I, feel, not that it matters, but I feel, that we should follow the Ten Commandments and our conscious regarding the other smaller commandments. Such as I do not feel it is a sin to eat pork, since it is clearly been made clean in the New Testament, which those who are still under the law feel a strong obligation and aversion to pork. Living under grace I feel I have God in my heart and He is with me where ever and I feel no conviction to observe Jewish Celebrations, but Im not Jewish either. I do not feel it is a sin if a Jewish person does not celebrate such days, but that's my opinion.
I think it could also be a matter of what one considers sin and what one considers not sin. They might not observe Yom Kippur because they feel it is not significant in regards to their salvation and therefore unnecessary. But out of respect if I where in Israel I would follow the customs of the people I was with and do as they do, but knowing in my heart that whether I do or do not God is still with me and because of Jesus I am free INDEED!
The Lord of heaven bless and keep you, God bless JFJ!
(09-24-2013, 04:08 PM)HOPE7 Wrote: As a Christian, and non-Jewish person, I would like to say that I think some Christians are simply uneducated and do not know some of the observances or maybe they have chosen not to live under specific laws but rather under the cross of Jesus and feel that because they have this wonderful gift, an advocate in heaven, that they don't need to be so exact in their worship, feeling that following the law perfectly is impossible and attempting to try would only lead to more and more burden and away from the beauty of Gods New Testament, New Covenant, which is grace.
I, feel, not that it matters, but I feel, that we should follow the Ten Commandments and our conscious regarding the other smaller commandments. Such as I do not feel it is a sin to eat pork, since it is clearly been made clean in the New Testament, which those who are still under the law feel a strong obligation and aversion to pork. Living under grace I feel I have God in my heart and He is with me where ever and I feel no conviction to observe Jewish Celebrations, but Im not Jewish either. I do not feel it is a sin if a Jewish person does not celebrate such days, but that's my opinion.
I think it could also be a matter of what one considers sin and what one considers not sin. They might not observe Yom Kippur because they feel it is not significant in regards to their salvation and therefore unnecessary. But out of respect if I where in Israel I would follow the customs of the people I was with and do as they do, but knowing in my heart that whether I do or do not God is still with me and because of Jesus I am free INDEED!
The Lord of heaven bless and keep you, God bless JFJ!

Amen to that, Hope7!

It is wonderful for Jews to celebrate holy days, although holy day observance does not provide salvation (only the shed blood of the Lamb of God does that). Gentiles can learn a great deal about the roots of their faith by participating as well. Gentiles also can learn about the symbolism of Jesus' life, ministry, death and resurrection in those holy days (e.g. the afikomen matzoh in the Passover Seder that is broken, "buried" and brought back).

However, some people seem to believe that participation in holy days means that they are more spiritual or closer to God than those who do not participate. Our holiness, our righteousness, before God is the result of Jesus' blood atonement for us on the cross, not anything that we do.

Thank you for your kind words and your faithful witness.
Hi Hope7
Quote:As a Christian, and non-Jewish person, I would like to say that I think some Christians are simply uneducated and do not know some of the observances or maybe they have chosen not to live under specific laws but rather under the cross of Jesus and feel that because they have this wonderful gift, an advocate in heaven, that they don't need to be so exact in their worship, feeling that following the law perfectly is impossible and attempting to try would only lead to more and more burden and away from the beauty of Gods New Testament, New Covenant, which is grace.
This is perfectly fine with me, for non-Jews, and non-Jewish Christians. I mainly asked myself if this forum is becomming less Jewish, or about Jews.
The Tenach never asks from other non-Jews to take the burden upon them, only a few rules. So legally you are right. But if ''Jews for Jesus'' exists of a lot of non-Jewish Christians who are hardly interested in Judaism or the rulings in the Bible, that it just becomes like every other Christian forum, a lot of talking without much knowledge about the Bible, or what it means to Jews and others.

Quote:I, feel, not that it matters, but I feel, that we should follow the Ten Commandments and our conscious regarding the other smaller commandments. Such as I do not feel it is a sin to eat pork, since it is clearly been made clean in the New Testament, which those who are still under the law feel a strong obligation and aversion to pork. Living under grace I feel I have God in my heart and He is with me where ever and I feel no conviction to observe Jewish Celebrations, but Im not Jewish either. I do not feel it is a sin if a Jewish person does not celebrate such days, but that's my opinion.
First of all Kosher does not mean clean. Secondly the Kosher rules were instituted for all generations. Thirdly Pork was clean or fit to eat for non-Jews during all centuries before and after Abraham, Mozes etc. Fourthly, it was never said in our Bible that we live under the law, that is a Christian concept. Fifth: It's not so clear for Jews that Pork is suddenly clean to eat in the Christian Testaments, besides that it's also said in the NT that nobody should eat blood, nor strangled animals etc.
I can give more idea's but these are mainly idea's for Jews who believe in Jesus, who are commanded to keep the kosher rules in all generations.
So still I wonder why the JFJ group is less Jewish then a few years ago, that is not your fault, everybody is welcome, it's just my question.

Quote:I think it could also be a matter of what one considers sin and what one considers not sin. They might not observe Yom Kippur because they feel it is not significant in regards to their salvation and therefore unnecessary.
Yom Kippur was not only about salvation, so it might be that some Jews for Jesus learned less about it, and define it according to their own new Christian teachings, without understanding their obligation that much. I don't even talk about sin, that is another subject in Judaism.
Quote:But out of respect if I where in Israel I would follow the customs of the people I was with and do as they do, but knowing in my heart that whether I do or do not God is still with me and because of Jesus I am free INDEED!
You are free anyway, because for non-Jews the rules are different, you don't have to respect our Yom Kippur in Israel. It would be great that you don't play loud music out of respect etc. but you don't have to keep rules that The Almighty gave to Jews specifically.
Thanky you for your reply
The Lord of heaven bless and keep you too!
My response to this forum being less Jewish, and I assume you mean, so many Christian ideals are spoken of and I feel this bothers you that since its a Jewish forum should be more about Judaism and Jewish people and admit I have no basis to go by regarding the Jewishness of this site compared to times past but I do know that I find this site a beautiful site filled with the most amazing Jewish people Ive ever read about and I am in awe of them on a daily basis. And as they walk in the Lord I also grow, with each step they take, I too get closer to God. I think that I would not be as close to God today had it not been for JFJ. They are a light on a hill, that affects more souls than they could ever know.
Replying to your comment quote " But if ''Jews for Jesus'' exists of a lot of non-Jewish Christians who are hardly interested in Judaism or the rulings in the Bible, that it just becomes like every other Christian forum, a lot of talking without much knowledge about the Bible, or what it means to Jews and others."
I disagree somewhat, I think Christians know a lot about the Bible, unfortunately thats where some of the Christians devotion to God ends.
My response was to throw in a reason as to why some Christians living in Israel dont honor Yom Kippur and work, etc. I obviously dont speak for all Christians but wanted to offer some possiblities.
I so liked your reply and do appreciate that you understand that I know little of Judaism, but I would hope that you could also know that I do know some about the Bible. I, along with many others, love to talk about the Bible, Im hoping talking about the Bible is not an exclusive right but one we can all enjoy and participate. Its one of the most interesting and invigorating topics we could ever discuss. I also feel any dialogue between Christians and Jews, so long as its not hateful, is a very good thing.
I would love to know more about what you feel the term " living under the law" means to a Jewish person and what you think it means to a non-Jewish person. My comments regarding being free from the law where meant to preface what was written regarding grace. I love what Paul said in the NT..about sinning and grace and how we are not to sin just so grace can abound and I love it when he said, GOD FORBID! But I so easily digress. Sorry.
God bless you too! Richly and fully.

Regarding comments I made about the cleanliness of pork, we all know that it is only a metaphor about the acceptance of all human beings by God and that what God makes clean is clean indeed So my comment, though about pork is more about the power of His Holy Spirit of the Living Hebrew God , the opportunity He provided that did not exist for all mankind who seek God to become clean.
Shalom