Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern Jewish sect that believes in a dead messiah that will return?
Are there any modern parallels? I'm pretty sure that there is a modern Jewish sect that continues to believe their dead 'messiah' is really the messiah?
The Chabad-Lubavitch branch of ultra-Orthodox Judaism has many people who believe that their late rebbe, Menachem Schneerson, who died in 1994, was the messiah. Other members deny that. Some believe that he didn't really die, while some have believed ever since his death that he would be resurrected.

In Israel, I've seen lots of shops that have Schneerson's picture on a wall, and sometimes that same photo is on posters that are pasted on bridge overpasses.

Not long after he died, I saw a shop in New York City (Brooklyn, I believe) that sold items relating to Schneerson's impending resurrection -- bumper stickers that said something along the lines of "Messiah is coming back, don't miss out!"

Judith Solomon, in a 2004 Jerusalem Report article, mentioned a family that answers their telephone with "Yehi Hamelekh!" (long live the king) as "a paean to the rebbe."
If you mean "parallel to Y'shua", well it's not really the same, seeing that Schneerson is dead.
Indeed this Chabad sect exist.
Even before he died, some rabbi's said not to accept the movement as being realy Judaism. But that is an internal discussion itself.
At the other hand this movement got a lot of non-religious Jews that got back to Judaism, they do a lot of good work. But another thing might be that in that way Christianity and Enlightenment influenced Judaism, with people who long for an immediator, things that have to be revealed, messengers. Besides the mix of meditation, comming closer to The Light, what might be derived more from Hinduistic sects.

Yes Judaism has a lot of streams, if you still want to call it Judaism.
People obviously long for a Messiah.
Someone who can intercede for them today, in a similar way Moses did.

People long for God, we are nothing without our Creator by whom and for whom we were created.
I think the hunger and the thirst is now so big that people try everything to be satisfied. Humanity has tried everything, hasn't it? Oh, that we may come to rest in our Creator and not be swept away by every wave of this world, that we may stand firm on the rock of our Salvation.

Father lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
May your Kingdome come, may your will be done on earth as is in Heaven.
(10-27-2013, 10:00 AM)A. Bird Wrote: If you mean "parallel to Y'shua", well it's not really the same, seeing that Schneerson is dead.

Maybe not:

"Some of them believe that he did die in 1994, but will soon be resurrected and actively take up his role of Messiah, rebuilding the Temple in Jerusalem and ushering in the Messianic Age on Earth. Others believe that he didn’t really die, but is now “hidden” and will be “revealed” in the near future. The most controversial claim made by some of his supporters is that he is now equal to God Himself, and is omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient."

http://wildworldofreligion.wordpress.com...out-jesus/
(10-30-2013, 03:32 AM)TheProcess Wrote:
(10-27-2013, 10:00 AM)A. Bird Wrote: If you mean "parallel to Y'shua", well it's not really the same, seeing that Schneerson is dead.

Maybe not:

"Some of them believe that he did die in 1994, but will soon be resurrected and actively take up his role of Messiah, rebuilding the Temple in Jerusalem and ushering in the Messianic Age on Earth. Others believe that he didn’t really die, but is now “hidden” and will be “revealed” in the near future. The most controversial claim made by some of his supporters is that he is now equal to God Himself, and is omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient."

Schneerson is not omnipresent, omnipotent or omniscient like that guy on his blog likes to say. He is dead and in a grave in Queens, N.Y.

[Image: Rebbe%27s_Tomb.JPG]

This whole thing is a farce, it so obvious that people are just copying what is known about Y'shua and ascribing it to this dead person, not even making the effort of giving proof from Holy Scripture, in doing this they are showing that subconsciously they know where to look for the real Messiah, they know who He is.
(11-01-2013, 09:09 AM)A. Bird Wrote:
(10-30-2013, 03:32 AM)TheProcess Wrote:

Maybe not:

Schneerson is not omnipresent, omnipotent or omniscient like that guy on his blog likes to say. He is dead and in a grave in Queens, N.Y.

[Image: Rebbe%27s_Tomb.JPG]

This whole thing is a farce, it so obvious that people are just copying what is known about Y'shua and ascribing it to this dead person, not even making the effort of giving proof from Holy Scripture, in doing this they are showing that subconsciously they know where to look for the real Messiah, they know who He is.

Some of Jesus' opponents spend a great deal of time denying that He fulfilled any of the messianic prophecies that are in the Tenach. (To see why we believe that He did, see the "Answers" section of this web site and the articles under that section's "Jesus the Messiah" heading).

What specific messianic prophecies did Schneerson ever fulfill?

For starters, Schneerson was born in Ukraine and never even set foot in Israel!

The Tenach says that the messiah would be born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:1/5:2).

The messiah would arrive before the destruction of the Second Temple (Daniel 9:24-27). That happened in 70 A.D.

The messiah would present Himself by riding on a donkey into Jerusalem (Zechariah 9:9). Schneerson never even visited Israel, let alone lived and died there.

The messiah would be tortured to death (Psalm 22). Schneerson suffered from a heart attack and a stroke.

These are just a few of the many messianic prophecies that Jesus fulfilled (more await fulfillment in the future).

The fact that many Orthodox Jews revere Schneerson indicates how far away from the Bible they have strayed.

They follow the traditions of men, not the Word of God.

"For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge." -- Romans 10:2

Jews who revere Schneerson, who clearly was a false messiah, are still considered Jews.

Yet Jewish believers in Jesus are often said to have stopped being Jews -- even though Jesus fulfilled prophecy after prophecy.

What a double standard! And from an eternal perspective, it is a fatal one.

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." -- I Cor. 1:18
Thanks be to GOD that Jesus lives.HE is on the Right Hand of the Majesty on high.Before abraham HE existed.Performed many miracles and most of the people who witnessed them believed.The leaders ,who did not want to lose their place under rome, went at night and abused HIM, falsely accused him, and turned HIM over to Pilate and extorted pilate by threats.It all had to happen according to prophesy and even in the psalms.I am very happy that GOD loved mere men{including myself} that HE went to such lengths and gave HIS only begotten Son for miserable humans such as myself!!! Thank You Father! Thank You Holy Spirit! Thank You Jesus!! I just wish I was more able to express in a more powerful manner my eternal gratitude! Thanks for Jews for Jesus!!Big Grin
Outstanding,MAlan!!Simple and factual.If I had been raised culturally as a jew I would have a hard time believing as well. I basically always knew HE exists, but still have a difficult time following HIM.This is NOT my home! I am just passing through.As Paul put it: The flesh wars with the spirit.The fight is constant,even for a believer for many years.That is probably why it is written: Make your election sure!!I need my Saviour each and every day.Especially in these troubling days!! Thank You Jesus for taking my and our places.Paying the atonement Yourself.Indescribable love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!