Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melchizedek only in Hebrews?
Thank you for the welcome, Yetzirah.

The book of Hebrews is indeed a treasure. We can read it numerous times and each reading we glean new insights with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, Who teaches us understanding.

What I posted is from my own words as a commentary, so to speak. The verses in Hebrews of emphasis for my previous post are Heb. 6:13-20 and then chapter 7, Heb. 7:1-19 (although chapters 6 thru 8 are related to this discussion - and indeed, the book of Hebrews in its entirety).
(12-16-2013, 10:39 AM)OrderMySteps Wrote: Thank you for the welcome, Yetzirah.

The book of Hebrews is indeed a treasure. We can read it numerous times and each reading we glean new insights with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, Who teaches us understanding.

What I posted is from my own words as a commentary, so to speak. The verses in Hebrews of emphasis for my previous post are Heb. 6:13-20 and then chapter 7, Heb. 7:1-19 (although chapters 6 thru 8 are related to this discussion - and indeed, the book of Hebrews in its entirety).

All right, then I considere the quote about Psalm 110 as an interpretation or commentary. But the word Messiah, nor Christ, nor Yeshua is not written in this Psalm, so it is more a work-arround to fit it into a commentary. But o.k. there are many commentaries, and people who claim they got things from the Holy Spirit or Prophet. Fine, but still then it would be proper not to claim that it's written in the verse I think, and write that it is an interpretation or so.

Be well. Succes with learning and enjoy the forum.
Yetzirah, Hebrews 8:4 is explicit that the priesthood of Yeshua is NOT on this earth. because priesthood on this earth is exclusively given to the Levites in the Torah, which cannot be abbrogated as long as this eath and heavens continue to exist. Yeshua is a priest after the order of Melchisedek in the heavens, therefore this does not affect his earthly duties.

Psalm 110:1 indicates to whom this oath of priesthood is given: It is given from HaShem to the Adonai of David. This can only refer to the Messiah. Since the Messiah is a son of David, yet the Messiah is the Lord of David, it is clear that the Messiah cannot be simply one of David's natural sons. Micah 5:2 is clear that the Messiah is to be an eternal being born as a man in the hometown of David, confirming what Psalm 110 hinted at. This should cause us to look for this being from the beginning of the Torah. Zechariah 6:12 reveals that the name of the Branch, the Messiah, is Yeshua, in Aramaic, or Yahushua (Yoshua), in Hebrew. This was a common name meaning "HaShem Saves", but for the Messiah this name has special significance, since the Messiah is to bring the salvation of HaShem. And since HaShem is the only Savior (Isaiah 43:11), well, there is another reason why this Yeshua must be someone unique.

All of this from the Tanach should be crystal clear, except for theological and philosophical prejudices. Then when the book of John explains that Yeshua was the Word of God made flesh, it should ring a familiar chord; it should be a "Aha! Now it is clear," moment, instead of a, "Prove it," moment. The fact that the majority of the Jewish leaders and people rejected what should have been clear, due to their hard hearts, is why the second Temple was destroyed and the Jewish people were sent into the second Exile. That is why Yeshua never came as the Messiah. If he had set up his kingdom and defeated all of the enemies (as the Jewish cynics continue to demand), he would have had a nation of hard hearted rebels to lead. (Even the rabbis admit that generation was hard hearted, sent into exile for being unkind to their neighbors.) Will you keep a hard heart that continually searches but never finds, or will you soften your heart to receive the revelation of HaShem? Some day, he will come, for the first time as the Messiah, and it will not be a pretty sight as he deals with rebellion. I say this not just to Yetzirah, but to all of the posters here, including the "Christians". And if you do that, please do NOT join any "Christian" denomination. They are all wrong.
(12-19-2013, 01:58 PM)Yetzirah Wrote:
(12-16-2013, 10:39 AM)OrderMySteps Wrote: Thank you for the welcome, Yetzirah.

All right, then I considere the quote about Psalm 110 as an interpretation or commentary. But the word Messiah, nor Christ, nor Yeshua is not written in this Psalm, so it is more a work-arround to fit it into a commentary. But o.k. there are many commentaries, and people who claim they got things from the Holy Spirit or Prophet. Fine, but still then it would be proper not to claim that it's written in the verse I think, and write that it is an interpretation or so.

Be well. Succes with learning and enjoy the forum.

Psalm 110 is quoted throughout the book of Hebrews (Heb. 5:6, Heb. 6:20, Heb. 7:17, Heb. 7:21). Melchizedek is a type of Christ.

As a Priest, Jesus sacrificed Himself by His death on the cross (Heb. 7:27-28 ; Heb. 10:10)

The Christ is not in Aaron's priestly line (Hebrews 7:11-18)

He is the eternal High Priest (Heb. 7:21-26,28) of the New Covenant (Heb. 8:13 ; Heb. 9:15)

(Heb 5:5) So Christ also did not take upon himself the glory of becoming a high priest. But God said to him, "You are my Son; today I have become your Father."
(Heb 5:6) And he says in another place, "You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek." (NIV)

^ In these two verses, the author of Hebrews quotes Psalm 110:4 and Psalm 2:7.

True, the name Yeshua (Jesus) is not written in O.T. scripture (although an alternative spelling for Joshua. Joshua means "a savior, a deliverer" (same as Jehoshua, Jeshua, Oshea).

- Thanks, and peace and well being to you also Yetzirah.

(Good post, ThomasDGW!)
Thanks, OrderMySteps. It has been a long time since someone told me that.

I want to calrify why I said all Christian denominations are wrong. It is because in I Corinthians 1 and 3, it prohibits Christians from identifying them as different denominations. Anyone that is disobeying a command of God is wrong just in that, and will be wrong in other things as well.
Well, as long as a denomination does not cross the line of demarcation - I guess we can live with that. Many differ on non essential, secondary issues. Such as, infant or believers baptism. So long as the core, foundational doctrine is in agreement - they are part of the body of Christ. God is trinity, one God, three Persons. Christ is the Son of God, fully Man, fully God. Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ ascended to heaven, Christ will come again. And so forth...

You mentioned 1 Corinthians 1 and 3. Great chapters they are! Consider also, Ephesians 4 in this regard:

Eph 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
Eph 4:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
Eph 4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
Eph 4:7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
Eph 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
Eph 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
Eph 4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
Eph 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
Eph 4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
Eph 4:19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
Eph 4:20 But ye have not so learned Christ;
Eph 4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
Eph 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
Eph 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
Eph 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
Eph 4:25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
Eph 4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
Eph 4:27 Neither give place to the devil.
Eph 4:28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
Eph 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
Eph 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

(a bit off topic for this thread.. Sorry about that)
Shalom. I really have enjoyed reading this post. Glory be to Yah. If I may add my two cents hereSmile

According to both Old and New Testaments the man of mystery, Melchizedek, was a priest of the Most High God...King of Righteousness...One of the most commonly quoted verses is Psalm 110:1: "The Lord says to my Lord: Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.'"

The Gospels tell us that Jesus quoted this verse as a scripture about the Messiah. If we read further in this psalm, we will come to verse 4, which has a thought found nowhere else in the Old Testament. This Lord is to be a priest-not a Levitical priest...but a different kind of priest.

The book of Hebrews tells us that this verse of the 110 psalm is also about Yeshua-Jesus. It briefly mentions this in chapter 5:7 who, in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear, 8 though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. 9 And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him, 10 called by God as High Priest “according to the order of Melchizedek,” 11 of whom we have much to say, and hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.

And then again at the end of chapter 6, telling us that Yeshua-Jesus "has become a high priest forever...in the order of Melchizedek." Chapter 7 then explains this in more detail.

I believe that Melchizedek is Yeshua-Jesus and I base this fact on John 1:1
[The Eternal Word] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. Vesrse 14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

1 Peter 1:20
He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.

Yeshua is infinite..He is the Alef Tav, from before the beginning-Genesis till eternity i.e infinite time, duration without beginning or end. He is of eternal existence, especially as contrasted with mortal life, He is the eternity of God.. Yeshua is the torah but only those who seek Him with a ernest pure heart can and will find Him there. Shalom.