Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How I came to know the LORD.
Anyone have times in life, that things happen to you and it feels like a movie, like a work of fiction? Growing up in Southern California was kind of like that, and my life was always in danger, but it was as if all the harm ever meant for me... Passed right over me. (Yes, that was on purpose).

When I was 15, I remember something that happened that I'll never forget. It was the night my dad died, and to make it short, I was the one that found him. My two sisters, my brother and my mom were all sound asleep as if nothing had happened.

But the weird part about it wasn't that I found him, it was how it all happened. My dad and I used to stay up late and watch the Discovery and History channels, and this night wasn't any different, or so I thought. At one point he abruptly sent me to bed, and I didn't question it, I just went to bed. I was tired anyway.

But when I got to my bedroom and went to lay down, the last thing I remember seeing was my alarm clock. 11:55 PM. As soon as my head hit the pillow, the darkness was instant, and it didn't feel like I went to sleep at all. I had a genuine out-of-body experience, and in the distance stars started to fade into existence, and I was talking to my dad in what seemed like outer space. I don't remember exactly what we were talking about, but I do remember that we were forgiving each other for stuff. Then my dad said that he had to go, and we cried. And it wasn't some teary-eyed chick-flick crying, this was real "I'm about to be judged" crying.

And to note, my dad would love that I used humor when talking about him being dead. If you knew him, you'd laugh too.

Anyway, two bright lights came on either side of him, and grabbed him by the shoulder and on the arm, and dragged him away. That's when everything started spinning and I woke up. 12:24 AM was the first thing I saw.

I was in denial of what happened, but I did start reading the bible. I didn't understand it, and I think that was because I wasn't saved yet. I couldn't understand it, because my heart wasn't in it.

Fast forward 4 years, and now I'm in middle-of-nowhere Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm a high school drop-out, because I felt it was necessary to get a job and help my mom with bills and my 3 siblings. I'm living in poverty. I have no prospects in life. I felt completely worthless.

I was just about to give up on life, and I (call me crazy if you want) heard a voice, an audible voice. It told me to turn on the TV, so I did. It was on a channel that I hadn't left it on, and it was a religious program. Instantly, everything made sense. Everything.

So left with no excuses at this point, I accepted Jesus into my life, and it was a total change from that day forward. Life didn't get better or anything, but I didn't feel burdened anymore, and I felt totally alive. That's the short version, at least.

Praise God for His forgiveness, because I needed it.
(12-11-2013, 10:33 PM)Ceegen Wrote: Anyone have times in life, that things happen to you and it feels like a movie, like a work of fiction? Growing up in Southern California was kind of like that, and my life was always in danger, but it was as if all the harm ever meant for me... Passed right over me. (Yes, that was on purpose).

When I was 15, I remember something that happened that I'll never forget. It was the night my dad died, and to make it short, I was the one that found him. My two sisters, my brother and my mom were all sound asleep as if nothing had happened.

But the weird part about it wasn't that I found him, it was how it all happened. My dad and I used to stay up late and watch the Discovery and History channels, and this night wasn't any different, or so I thought. At one point he abruptly sent me to bed, and I didn't question it, I just went to bed. I was tired anyway.

But when I got to my bedroom and went to lay down, the last thing I remember seeing was my alarm clock. 11:55 PM. As soon as my head hit the pillow, the darkness was instant, and it didn't feel like I went to sleep at all. I had a genuine out-of-body experience, and in the distance stars started to fade into existence, and I was talking to my dad in what seemed like outer space. I don't remember exactly what we were talking about, but I do remember that we were forgiving each other for stuff. Then my dad said that he had to go, and we cried. And it wasn't some teary-eyed chick-flick crying, this was real "I'm about to be judged" crying.

And to note, my dad would love that I used humor when talking about him being dead. If you knew him, you'd laugh too.

Anyway, two bright lights came on either side of him, and grabbed him by the shoulder and on the arm, and dragged him away. That's when everything started spinning and I woke up. 12:24 AM was the first thing I saw.

I was in denial of what happened, but I did start reading the bible. I didn't understand it, and I think that was because I wasn't saved yet. I couldn't understand it, because my heart wasn't in it.

Fast forward 4 years, and now I'm in middle-of-nowhere Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm a high school drop-out, because I felt it was necessary to get a job and help my mom with bills and my 3 siblings. I'm living in poverty. I have no prospects in life. I felt completely worthless.

I was just about to give up on life, and I (call me crazy if you want) heard a voice, an audible voice. It told me to turn on the TV, so I did. It was on a channel that I hadn't left it on, and it was a religious program. Instantly, everything made sense. Everything.

So left with no excuses at this point, I accepted Jesus into my life, and it was a total change from that day forward. Life didn't get better or anything, but I didn't feel burdened anymore, and I felt totally alive. That's the short version, at least.

Praise God for His forgiveness, because I needed it.

Thank you so much for sharing your testimony, Ceegan. I know that some aspects of it mirror my own conviction and conversion, and others may feel the same way as they look back on the Holy Spirit's ministry in their own lives.

When I was 21, a friend gave me a copy of C.S. Lewis's book "Mere Christianity." As I finished it, just sitting in an easy chair at home, I suddenly realized the truth of the Gospel, even though I had heard it many times before.

I realized that God, who is righteous, must punish sin; and that my sins separated me from Him. Although I deserved terrible punishment, God Himself paid the price for my sins by becoming a human being and being punished in my place.

It was that simple a revelation for me: God took the punishment for my sins, so that I wouldn't have to, simply because He loves me.

After praying a short, simple prayer asking Him to forgive me and thanking Him for doing so, I opened my eyes -- and somehow, everything was different.

No angel choruses (not that I could hear, anyway), no bells or whistles. Just the astonishing realization that something incredibly important had just happened.

I have to say that I haven't always walked closely with Jesus (and sometimes have tried to push Him away), but He has always been faithful to me. It is always such a comfort to realize that He loves me even though He knows everything about me -- in fact, He knows infinitely more about me than I do.

Someday, you and I (and all others who have gratefully accepted Jesus' gift of forgiveness) will see Him clearly, face to face; and we will see ourselves and our lives clearly -- not with tears of remorse and regret, because our sins have been complete paid for and removed from us -- but with a joy we can't imagine now.

It will all make sense. Everything will make sense. And we will realize how He has been with us, and has been faithful to us, every step of the way.

Thank you again, Ceegan, for sharing your testimony. I hope you will continue to participate in these Forums and will explore the rest of our web site.

God bless you,
Moderator MAlan