Bible Options Bible Study Software
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jews believe... fulfilled in Jesus how?
Good evening,

I read the following, and felt like it seemed pretty different than the God I read about in the New Testament. "Jewish tradition tells how God opens the Book of Life and studies the words, actions, and thoughts of every person whose name he has written there. If a person's good deeds outweigh or outnumber their sinful acts, his or her name will remain inscribed in the book for another year." I found that in http://christianity.about.com/od/glossar...f-Life.htm and upon a google search, I found it appears on several other sites, too.

I see that it's only based on tradition, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of where to read more about what Jews believe and how Christ fulfilled/completed/changed that. I understand much of what Jews believe is based on tradition, and I'd imagine if any of that tradition was incorrect during the time of the prophets, God would have corrected it through a prophet. And if any of it was majorly incorrect at the time of Jesus, I'd think Jesus and his disciples would have expounded on this. So I'm looking for readings that consider the fulfillment of the new covenant in Jewish traditional and scriptural beliefs.

I am also considering the following question. If Jews believe there is a Messiah coming to atone for their sins - if they show that the believe in God by trying to keep his commandments - then why do they need to believe in Jesus was the Messiah to be saved? (or maybe they don't) Currently, I'm answering this question in my mind by Jesus' "I am the way, the truth and the life, no man cometh unto the Father but by me" and "if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thine heart..." So how I'm currently thinking about this question is that Jews must believe in Jesus because he said he was the only way. Of course, if a Jew had a misguided belief, God is still just, and perhaps he would still be willing to save him?

Anyway, I welcome your insights. Again, I am mainly posting this because I am interested in recommended reading (online or print) of the completion of God's plan in Jesus - including the fulfillment of what Jews believe. I am looking for books written at a college+ level for someone who has a decent but not amazing knowledge of the bible. I have read it several times and studied much of it, but I don't want literature that assumes I know too much about what Jews believe - I want to learn about that. Not just about what they believe now with the additional dynamic of the "threat" of Christianity, but I want to learn what they believed back when Jesus was around, and how Jesus fit into that. I want to have a clearer understanding of God's plan throughout the ages.

Thank you very much. Sorry if this should be asked in another forum or if a similar question has already been asked.